carat
color
clarity

Favorite luxury 3 row SUV?

Which SUV?

• Total voters

Halogirl1130

Shiny_Rock
I’m thinking about trading in my 2015 Honda Odyssey for a luxury suv. My husband has a BMW X5 and it’s so fun to drive and the sound system is better.
I’m looking at the BMW x7, Audi Q7, Mercedes Benz GLS, Volvo XC90 and Lexus RXL 350.

Thoughts on any of these? Have any of you test drove these and have input? I have done some research but seems they all have pros and cons.

I wouldn’t buy new... probably 2017-2020 with low mileage.

I have 2 kids, 2 and 4. I need a 3rd row for the random times I may have my little sisters or someone else.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't drive anything but a Tahoe. But we have a suburban for travel. 3 kids, 3 dogs, and luggage take a lot of room.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a 2017 Buick Enclave and really like it. Maybe look into the new Cadillac 3-row XT6?

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I guess I'll bite, since I have driven all of these luxury models. I had a 2004 Lexus RX 330 for 10 years, loved it! Best value for a quality SUV. Inexpensive compared to other luxury brands, and came standard with all the bells and whistles. Test drove a 3 row BMW X5 (they had tiny 3rd rows) before the X7 debuted last year. I was not impressed, thought the X5 was too loud and not "luxury" sounding. After my Lexus, I drove an Audi Q7 for 6 years, it was a nightmare. I got the Diesel Q7 that was had all kinds of issues, PLUS an emissions lawsuit, so as soon as it was paid off, I bought my current car (Mercedes GLC) which is a coupe, not 3 row, since my kids are grown and have their own cars....but it is by far the most luxury and smooth ride ever. So I voted for the MB GLS which I'm sure would be the best of your selection above.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I am biased. Loved my MB which we recently retired. My neighbor LOVED his GLS but recently downsized as he didn't need the third row seating any longer.

cheers--Sharon

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have a MB GL 450 older model. It rides smooth as butter. I haven’t driven the other cars for comparison (Although we also have a Honda Odyssey Touring) but I personally drive a BMW 5 series and the MB has the smoothest quietest ride compared to any car I’ve ever been in or driven. We’ve had it now for almost 10 years and it’s still going strong. I don’t plan to get rid of it either bc it’s never given us any problems and the body still looks great.

P

Petalouda

I too had an Audi diesel and though it was fun to drive, but I don’t think Audi is worth the premium. I won’t own one again unless they really up their game. They are expensive to maintain and have all sorts of issues beyond standard maintenance.

I know several people with the Lexus RXL SUV. Luxurious, reliable and lower maintenance cost. We chose the Highlander over it because the RXL third row felt smaller and more awkward to us. Mercedes from what I’ve heard can also have many issues like Audi. Volvo from what I’ve read ( it was a top contender for us) needs to be taken to the dealership for frequent electronic updates.

BMW I’ve heard nothing negative other than maintenance costs.
At the end of the day we fell in love with the Highlander and it also made financial sense since we decided to go the private school route. But the BMW X7 is my dream car.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
So...I just went through this in February. We ended up with a Volvo XC90 and I love it.

I’m a bit of a research girl. So I am attaching photos of the most relevant info that I compiled, in my spreadsheet.

372E9911-4D29-443F-A71F-2A1232D53BF8.png A58817DF-22FF-4AA5-A266-58AC77B22BDB.png

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
So...I just went through this in February. We ended up with a Volvo XC90 and I love it.

I’m a bit of a research girl. So I am attaching photos of the most relevant info that I compiled, in my spreadsheet.

372E9911-4D29-443F-A71F-2A1232D53BF8.png A58817DF-22FF-4AA5-A266-58AC77B22BDB.png

I love this!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We did a similar thing but not needing the 3rd row so we got the Cayenne Turbo diesel. Amazing fuel economy.
Didnt like the Lexus, seemed a bit “old fashioned” but it is well speced and luxurious for the price. The Audi A7 wasnt as nice as I thought it would be, leather seats and a premium system were expensive options, ditto the BMW. I really liked the Mercedes, just seemed more solid and more luxurious but it’s a big SUV in the GL Model. I’m actually going to get the smaller GLC model with the glass roof when my car needs replacing.

Halogirl1130

Shiny_Rock

Wow this is awesome! I’ve been doing a ton of research also and leaning toward The Volvo XC90 also. I just don’t “love” the exterior look but I like it and I think it is super safe and comes with all the features I want.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
What about a Cadillac? Dh rented one once and it was super comfortable & responded very well to a sudden downpour. We were on the highway at night with zero visibility & a car suddenly braked & dh had to slow down and swerve hard. It was terrfying but the caddy handled like a champ, thankfully.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
We are a 4x4 family
our brasts go into low range and into the mud (never the sea) ill have to ask Gary if we had the money what he'd like
nothing with a back seat, Something that you can eaiserly get parts and assessors for in NZ
no electric or hybrid
Something that could go everywhere we took our jeep wrangler

For me its too nuch money and i see zeto point in spending that much money and being worried id dent it on the trail
And id never own a 4x4 not intending to take it off road
so id be buying a used model especially the way vehicles depreseate as soon as you drive them off the lot

living in a country prone to earthquakes i never not want to have a capable 4x4

And as for that option number
Ewwww gross me out big time
i hate peope movers - the most unsexy mode of transport right nect to a bus
cars are like sex
mini vans = big turn off

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Yup I hate minivans too but when you have 8 ppl plus endless stuff, it's more affordable than an 8 seater suv...

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
I haven't test driven those exact models, but I have driven a lot of similar ones. I would recommend the Mercedes GLS as I've heard Mercedes has the best reliability out of the German luxury options. It also probably has a very smooth ride! You may want to consider the GLE too, not sure if they have the 3rd row.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I thought i better google :lol-2:
I don't want any of these

Why do i want all those seats ?
:mrgreen2:
If i had that kind of money id buy a 1970s muscle car and have it restored

Wrooooom wroooooom

inne

Shiny_Rock
So much will depend on how you like SUVs to handle. The Lexuses are like driving a big marshmallow. Very soft/bouncy. My mom and sister love them. The BMWs are a much stiffer drive, which I prefer, but some people hate it. I do not think the Lexus SUVs are fun to drive, but BMWs are (as you know!).

I like the Volvo - the interior is so beautiful. Not an amazing drive, though. That's hard to find in such a big SUV.

I drive an A4 and absolutely love Audi cars, although I'm not a huge fan of the regular SUVs. But the SQ7 is different. Not sure if you're considering that, but it is a much more fun driving experience that would make me consider it for sure. The only thing is that the interior isn't to everyone's taste (I would overlook it). I will also say that I've never had any issues with the Audis I've had - I sold my last one at over 260,000km and it only ever needed scheduled maintenance.

I have not tried the Mercedes.

Last edited:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I saw this and literally LOL'ed, as we are going through this same thing with a mid-size luxury SUV... and I have spreadsheet, as well as a full-on photo folder. LOL #analysisparalysis

Just a few days ago, a photo of the 2021 Infiniti QX60 (monograph) was released... if it looks like that, then I believe we've found our next car. It. Is. STUNNING. It's nothing like the current model, which I think looks like a mini-van had babies with a station wagon. :lol:

2021 QX60... **drooooool** :cheeky:
Infiniti QX60 Monograph concept

INFINITI QX60

7057-QX60-Monograph-Ext-Majors-4mb-1200x800-607518.jpg

Halogirl1130

Shiny_Rock
So much will depend on how you like SUVs to handle. The Lexuses are like driving a big marshmallow. Very soft/bouncy. My mom and sister love them. The BMWs are a much stiffer drive, which I prefer, but some people hate it. I do not think the Lexus SUVs are fun to drive, but BMWs are (as you know!).

I like the Volvo - the interior is so beautiful. Not an amazing drive, though. That's hard to find in such a big SUV.

I drive an A4 and absolutely love Audi cars, although I'm not a huge fan of the regular SUVs. But the SQ7 is different. Not sure if you're considering that, but it is a much more fun driving experience that would make me consider it for sure. The only thing is that the interior isn't to everyone's taste (I would overlook it). I will also say that I've never had any issues with the Audis I've had - I sold my last one at over 260,000km and it only ever needed scheduled maintenance.

I have not tried the Mercedes.

I do really like Audis. My in laws both just bought new ones and they are beautiful and my MIL’s Q7 is great to drive, but the maintenance worries me. I hear so many people talk about all the issues they have. I wouldn’t mind buying it under warrenty (like it I was buying new) but with Certified preowned suvs, different brands have different warrenty. I think the Lexus and Volvo have like 5 year warrenty’s whereas the Mercedes only have 12 months.

Halogirl1130

Shiny_Rock
I saw this and literally LOL'ed, as we are going through this same thing with a mid-size luxury SUV... and I have spreadsheet, as well as a full-on photo folder. LOL #analysisparalysis

Just a few days ago, a photo of the 2021 Infiniti QX60 (monograph) was released... if it looks like that, then I believe we've found our next car. It. Is. STUNNING. It's nothing like the current model, which I think looks like a mini-van had babies with a station wagon. :lol:

2021 QX60... **drooooool** :cheeky:
Infiniti QX60 Monograph concept

INFINITI QX60

7057-QX60-Monograph-Ext-Majors-4mb-1200x800-607518.jpg

LOL. Mini van had babies with a station wagon. I just LOL’d. Yes I just saw that infinity. The problem is they have NO pictures of what the inside will look like! Infinity is a japanese brand like Lexus so known to be reliable and inexpensive to upkeep. I just really want the panoramic moonroof!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL. Mini van had babies with a station wagon. I just LOL’d. Yes I just saw that infinity. The problem is they have NO pictures of what the inside will look like! Infinity is a japanese brand like Lexus so known to be reliable and inexpensive to upkeep. I just really want the panoramic moonroof!

Haha! I want it too! If the interior is anything like the QX80, it'll be super plush! We looked at QX80's too, but they were just too big for what we are needing. I'm curious about the 3rd row seat in the QX 60 though... we really don't need it, so I'm hoping it's optional or can be removed for extra cargo room. We shall see... that platinum color tho!! :kiss2:

I bought a G-35 coupe brand new when I got licensed and drove it for 12 years. It was the best car I've ever owned/driven... hands down. I literally did nothing except fill it with gas and change the oil. I'd still be driving it today if we hadn't had a baby. I've owned a Honda Accord, VW Passat, Audi Q6, Infiniti G-35 coupe, and (currently) our Lexus LS 460. I've periodically driven my parent's cars - MB GLS, Acura RX, BMW X5, Lexus RX, and Cadillac XT5. The Infiniti was the best overall, IMO.

ETA: the Passat and Audi were a nightmare regarding repairs. The cost of parts and labor were really high... I had lots of issues with the Passat, but I really loved it. I didn't drive the Audi very long, but had one big engine repair that was super expensive. Both were fun to drive. My mom loved the look of her X5, but it stayed in the shop almost as much as she drove it.

Last edited:

Jsand

Shiny_Rock
We have a 2020 Cadillac XT6 and it’s an absolute dream!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
everyone's experience with different models is different. I've had one Volvo, 3 Lexus and 2 Audis. I've had no repair issues with either the Lexus or Audi brands as I never had to do anything but normal maintenance (nothing broke). But my Volvo had several issues and the cost to repair a Volvo is quite high if it is out of warranty. Of the three, Lexus had the most reasonable prices for normal maintenance. I prepaid the maintenance on both of my Audis as that gives you significant savings. I don't recall the cost for normal maintenance on the Volvo because what sticks out in my mind is what it cost to repair it when something broke (the biggest item was the A/C). I only kept the Volvo for 4.5 years because it was out of warranty and things started to go. I kept both my last Lexus and Audi 7 years each with nothing breaking. I currently have a 2019 Audi so the jury is out on that since I only had it for a few months before the virus hit and I barely have driven it since. Have you checked out Consumer Reports? That might help you.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
You know, despite Insisting that I’m the “cool soccer mom” that only drives cool SUVs, I do really like minivans. And thinking back, I only got the cool cars because my dh drove minivans!

My husband’s company used to offer minivans as a company car options, and he had 3 minivans back to back. Minivans are way more practical for loading young kids in the car, especially kids that can’t buckle themselves into their car seats. We had dual sided sliding doors, so we could put In one child each on either side.

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
@jaysonsmom, we have 4 kids, so I can totally agree that a minivan was economical and the EASIEST vehicle to get all of them in and strapped into the car seats!! Haha. I drove minivans for 21 years. 2 years ago, we purchased a Lincoln MKX for me and retired the last minivan!! I love it, it’s been a great car thus far. But, I am easy to please after so many years in the minivans...!!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
@jaysonsmom, we have 4 kids, so I can totally agree that a minivan was economical and the EASIEST vehicle to get all of them in and strapped into the car seats!! Haha. I drove minivans for 21 years. 2 years ago, we purchased a Lincoln MKX for me and retired the last minivan!! I love it, it’s been a great car thus far. But, I am easy to please after so many years in the minivans...!!

Oh, and they are great for the elderly too. My parents come visit the US and stay with us for 2-3 months out of the year, they really dislike getting in and out of SUV's, especially my mom who is 5'2".

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
none, with 3 rows you are stuck having to move around someone else's kids.. when my boys were young I had a Ford Explorer, loved that vehicle.. I had a Dodge Colt Vista before the Explorer with 3 seats and it had 4 wheel drive, while I'm dropping off 5 little five year olds one says to my son, "there's no Santa Claus, my Dad told me so" a sweet little Jewish kid named Joel, my son freaks out starts crying as two other little Santa believing boys, so I get to little Joel's house and tell his Dad what joel said, he FREAKS, tells all the boys he never ever said that, it was horrible, and sad and I felt bad for ALL the boys, so right then and there I said, no more 3 rows.

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock
I'm going through the same thing currently. However I have one more must have, it needs to be fully electric. I want a 3 rows electric SUV.

Currently we have a 2010 MDX that we've had for 9 years now. We love it so much. It's not super luxury but it has never given us major issues or any for that matter. Low maintenance. I've rented a GLS before for a whole week. Took it for long trips. It was a dream to drive! So smooth and luxurious. I'm a little worried on price and cost of maintenance to own one however. We're thinking about just upgrading to a newer MDX. But I want an electric car.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results