shape
carat
color
clarity

Favorite House/Furniture/Decorating Blogs?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/9/2009 12:04:47 PM
Author: Haven
Date: 9/8/2009 7:58:50 PM

Author: thing2of2

Question-how do you all feel about area rugs on hardwood floors?

I found 2 rugs I love, one for the dining room and one for the living room, but I''m wondering if it''s too cluttery or just kind of silly to cover the floors? They are in really great shape and they''re pretty, but I love these rugs! The one in the living room would only be 4x6 so it would really just go in front of the couch and under the coffee table. But the one for the dining room that I want is 6x9. I would love any opinions/thoughts!

We have all hardwood floors and we *definitely* use area rugs! We keep a small rug in the foyer (just bought a new one from Crate & Barrel for fall, it''s gorgeous) and we keep one under our dining room table, and another one under the seating area in our living room. Our house has a really open floor plan, so they break up the spaces visually, and we also have a big wooden farmhouse table in our dining (the Crate & Barrel Big Sur, I adore it!) so we thought it looked cold with all that wood-on-wood action going on.

I really love our area rugs, they warm up the space a lot.

The one thing you want to make sure of is that the rug under your dining room table is large enough to cover enough ground so the chairs don''t fall off of it when people pull them out from the table. Does that make sense? I found guidelines somewhere on the Internet about how much extra coverage you want beyond the actual table, if you do a Google search you''d find it.

Another vote for the rugs-thank you Haven! I''m going to Google for the size guidelines now-I definitely don''t want the chairs to hang off. And BTW I LOVE the Big Sur table from C&B! I thought about either that or the Basque table but I ended up with a glass table from CB2. (Crate and Barrel''s more modern/somewhat cheaper store!) The dining room is smallish and I think the wooden ones were a little too heavy for such a small place...but I love those both sooooo much!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results