shape
carat
color
clarity

Favorite diamond cut?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Diamondangel,

I can't wait to see pics of your pear when you get it set. I am a pear lover, and your 2.62 is almost the same l/w ratio as my 2.07 (1:1.67). I am in the process of shopping for a setting -- how confusing.
14.gif

Diamondlil

Evalina

Rough_Rock
Does anybody out there like radiants?

TheDiamondangel

Shiny_Rock
I do, but the facets and ratios vary greatly on them. I don't like the ones that have similar facets as a princess, but I like the ones that have a 1.25:1 - 1.35:1 ratio.

jenntheten

Rough_Rock
Diamondangel----where can you "trade" a diamond?! I was proposed to with a 1.74 ct princess that I picked out J VS1 horrible l:w ratio though---a couple of days later the color and rectangular shape got to me and I went back and got a 1.52 H SI2 princess with a much better l:w ratio---WELL, now I've learned SO MUCH MORE and am dying to get my hands on a GREAT CUT stone with lots of sparkle (obviously will be moving away from princess to achieve that)......but I need to be able to put my current stone towards the purchase...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
You have a few trade-in options....

1) Return it to the original store you bought it from and trade it up (but then you are at their mercy on their idea of a 'well cut' stone....if they can't get other branded stones in).
2) See if an online jeweler will sell the stone for you on consignment, then you put that money towards a purchase with them (e.g. GOG does this at times I believe). The negative here is that you could be waiting a while for your stone to sell and in that time you may be without a ring
3) See if another jeweler will let you trade in the stone for a purchase at their store (e.g. if a store that sells SC stones or 8* stones also carries other types of stones they may be willing to trade in your regular stone towards a more expensive branded purchase). But your stone would have to be something they could easily move for sale in order for this to happen and be a desirable make for them.

To me only #2 is desirable if you are talking about a well cut or branded stone unless you find #3 which would be great! I too am in this position, bought from a B&M but would love something like an ACA. Well I doubt WF will sell my stone for me since I don't think they do that, so that means that I will never be able to trade in my stone for an ACA but rather will have to trade in my stone for something like an unbranded H&A in the future since that is probably all my jeweler could get. BOO. Then again, my fiance says he doesn't want me to ever trade-in my original stone and that I can have 'other diamonds' (sounds promising!) but I have to keep this one. Well OKAY--twist my arm!
2.gif
So maybe I won't be in that position anyway.....but I won't be seeing 'other diamonds' for a long time I am sure!! Too many other priorities (can you believe it?!)
15.gif

Zyperiris

Rough_Rock
HEY!!!! I upgraded my .65 football shaped marquise (bought before education..lol) I just last week got a 1.04 marquise. Yes, I am a marquise, oval, pear girl. But I do love the regents as well.

I had my old ring for 4 years. I was never satisfied..the bowtie was to prominent. SOOOO..I have been going thru so much at work..there is a ton of stress. I went on vacation...stayed home resting..found myself at the jewelers. It's a place here in Seattle area called "International jewelers". I went to the carat room..and the store manager came over..she did not make me upgrade by doubling the price..I got 6 months interest free. I just did it and didn't tell hubby. Then when I picked it up..I WAS SHOCKED. It looked ENORMOUS. I told hubby and he wasn't mad at all. It seems very large to me..but I am getting used to it..I will upgrade one more time..

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Jenntheten,
You do have one more option to sell you diamond. Do you have any friends that have admired it and might love to have a diamond like yours? I had been talking of upgrading my stone and changing shape for a few years. The topic recently came up with a friend of mine who had admired my ring for some time. She offered to purchase it. We agreed on a price which was less than I originally paid for it but more than I would have gotten in trade. She also would not have been able to beat the price if she were buying new. I then took the money and got what I wanted. She had my "old" diamond set in her setting, and it looks like a whole new ring. She's happy, I'm happy, and we are still great friends!
9.gif

Diamondlil

jenntheten

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for all of these wonderful suggestions! It's going to take me awhile to convince my darling husband to go for this---he still isn't over the sticker shock and drama we went through on this one!
1.gif
I get oooohs and aaaahs from people on a DAILY BASIS on my ring.....there's nothing "bad" or "wrong" with it---I would just like something well cut---I want SPARKLE and I don't have a lot of that with this princess. I'm pretty sure the jeweler I got it from will work with me on a trade---I just feel a little burned by him now that I've learned so much---he never tried to teach me all of this great stuff!
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif

NO TO MENTION, all I have is an EGL cert--I KNOW, I KNOW, but at least it's USA EGL!
1.gif
So maybe it's best to go back to where I got it....he better not say there's anything wrong with the stone he sold me and swore I'd love forever!
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jen--if you wanted to get your stone certed by GIA you can for a fee ($300?)...so the EGL USA cert is not all you can ever have on the stone. You just send the stone to GIA though I am not sure you'd want to part with it for any amount of time. Maybe sometime in the future after you've gotten the wedding band to wear in lieu while the stone is gone!
1.gif

jenntheten

Rough_Rock
I have the band.....and it's souldered to the e-ring!
1.gif
I know now that there ARE some options out there to "trade up"...I think I may have to enjoy what I've got for now. BUT I CAN'T TELL YOU HOW BAD I WANT A QUEEN OF HEARTS NOW THAT I'VE SEEN THEM!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results