shape
carat
color
clarity

Favorite Charities

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This the season where many people focus thoughts on helping other people. Often supporting charities is part of that.

There are of course hundreds of thousands of charities: Local, regional, national, worldwide; specific issue, to very general.

You can support them by volunteering, giving items, or giving cash.

I would hope that all of you are supporting some charity or cause (if not multiple ones).

I thought it would be appropriate to ask people to mention their favorite charity - the one that they wished other people became involved in supporting as it does the most good based on your personal interest.

I ask that you not try to list all the charities you support - as I don''t want this thread to become a "I''m doing more that you" thread.

What is your best one - and why (and I know there is no perfect charity).

Here is mine: Worldvision http://www.worldvision.org/

Here is why I believe so: Worldvision is what I believe to be the purest vision of a relegious help society out there. They operate arround the world - and even in areas where Christianity as a religion is banned (believing that the best demonstration of Christianity is to help your fellow man - regardless of the others religion). They are very open and above board on their finances. They have a very low overhead compared to many.

You have many ways to support: You can sponsor a child (more discussion on this later - and why World Vision is my preferred organization for this); you can fund community development; you can target specific interest (womans interest as well), provide chickens, rabbits, goats, cows, or a whole farmyard of animals, you can even support activities here in the US (check out the "Ways To Give" tab for a good introduction).

Concerning sponsoring a child in another country: I wish all could do this - but I understand it is not for all. Here are my personal views on it: First off - if you are going to do it - you should view it up front as a long term committment. Most children you sponsor will be in the 5-7 age range; and you can be a great influence over the next 10-15 years. They can also be a great influence on you and your children (and many families who sponsor children have their kids become pen palls and grow up together).

World vision gets my overwhelming recomendation as the child sponsoring organizaton for the following reasons: We have all probably seen the TV adds that run in the US from another organization - and they have a lower monthy rate to sponsor a child. TV advertising is not cheap - and that reduces the amount of $ available to actually feed and support the child; but that is not all. A fact is that a lot of people start out sponsoring a child - and then stop. What happens to the kids when their actual sponsorship ends. With World Vision - once a child is sponsored they are covered for basic needs until a local adult age. Your dollars you pay to sponsor a World Vision child are actually not only sponsoring that child - but also covering the children who''s sponsors have vanished. That is something I can support.

Something else to know: It is quite possible to sponsor a child with World Vision and be informed that you cannot discuss Christianity, Judisim, or another specific religion in your letters. That is because World Vision does operate in countries doing community development where certain religions are banned. I have no idea what religion the child I have sponsored is - or is being taught. Over the years I just discuss basic common moral values and expectations when appropriate - and it works. If a specific religon is important to you - call the 800# and discuss.

So what is your favorite charity - and why.

Perry

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is one of my favourite charities-

www.worldhorsewelfare.org

Formerly known as International League for the Protection of Horses ( ILPH). They do wonderful work rescuing and rehabilitating unwanted and abused horses plus campaigning to end the cruelties suffered by horses destined for slaughter.
38.gif

This charity is very dear to my heart and I have supported WHW for many years and believe in what they do - helping horses have a voice all over the world. With their rehabilitation work, that they give these equines whom have had very little joy in life a reason to trust and to learn that the world can be a good place is priceless.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Great post, Perry. I love reading about everyone''s charitable work/donations -- it makes me proud to see such generous people.

I have just started sponsoring a little girl named Vanessa through World Vision (she and I have the same birthday, though a few years apart!). I spent a lot of time deciding which organization to sponsor through, and thanks to the information I found on charitynavigator.com, I felt very confident in WV''s financial responsibility. It''s plain to see that they''re doing a fine job.

I donate my time to a local animal rescue organization, SAFE (Saving Animals From Euthanasia). It is very grassroots, no main office or shelter, no one is on payroll, no a profit of any kind, just a bunch of normal people who have banded together to care for as many homeless and/or abused animals as possible. My partner and I have rehomed 3 dogs and 2 cats this year, and are currently fostering a mother cat and her 5 7-week-old kittens. All have homes for Christmas, except one (and I''m not sure I want to give her up anyway!).

My partner''s family is Seventh Day Adventist, so I can appreciate the work that the Adventist Relief and Development Agency (ADRA) does. Because it is affiliated with a church, 100% of all donations received go to the cause itself - all of the operational costs are deducted from the general church budget. It''s nice knowing that none of your donation is being eaten up by the cost of manila folders or paperclips!

As my family is so blessed, we have decided this year to forgo presents and make donations in each others'' names instead. I did this for my last birthday and was much more pleased with the cataract surgeries and leg braces (Christian Blind Mission) donated in my name than I would have been with another candle or bottle of lotion. I''m getting my parents sponsorships for two dogs at the Best Friends Animal Society refuge in Utah -- one of them is an ex-fighter of Michael Vick''s.

Huzzah for all of the charitable donations this holiday season!
36.gif

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/28/2009 11:35:10 AM
Author: justginger

As my family is so blessed, we have decided this year to forgo presents and make donations in each others'' names instead. I did this for my last birthday and was much more pleased with the cataract surgeries and leg braces (Christian Blind Mission) donated in my name than I would have been with another candle or bottle of lotion. I''m getting my parents sponsorships for two dogs at the Best Friends Animal Society refuge in Utah -- one of them is an ex-fighter of Michael Vick''s.
Justginger, that is so amazing!

We give to our local children''s hospital. It''s one of the leading centres for pediatric research in Canada. I have long history with the hospital, volunteering and then graduate school, so the work the hospital does means a lot to me. Every now and then we buy things the hospital needs, like cribs they give out to families who can''t aford it.

I''ve also been talking to my husband about World Vision and I think starting next year we''re going to sponsor a child. I''m kinda vary about this because my parents used to sponsor a child and found out several years later that the child''s father used all the money for buying booze. So nothing really went to the kids. I''m trying to find out if World Vision has a way to monitor what the money goes into.

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
My FI is active in the Susan G. Komen charities because his mother is a survivor.
I support Planned Parenthood because I think education and woman''s rights are very important.
I grew up doing Kosher Meals on Wheels so that is still very close to my heart and when I return to the US I plan on continuing that and also adding local animal shelter work. I think the SPCA is great, but I also think the local level shelters don''t get as much attention so they need my help more (but my FI isn''t allowing me to foster any dogs because he thinks I will end up adopting them all).

We aren''t doing wedding favors and instead will donate to the Susan G. Komen foundation and a local animal shelter.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
This subject has been posted in the past. Same as always, I never give cash due to my concern that much of the money goes to "adminstrative costs."

The charities I always participate in are the school supply funds for kids who cannot afford simple supplies we take for granted, like crayons and back packs. Also, I always give to the food bank and will donate items other than food, like hygiene items like toothpaste, shampoo, etc. I also wait until cereal is on sale and buy boxes of that.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I give to our local United Way; they do an excellent job and are highly rated. You can also designate where your funds go.

You can check the charities out here (as far as ratings go) ------> http://www.charitynavigator.org/

Hubby and I volunteer too each year. He helps build through Habitat for Humanity; if anyone is interest it takes one team member going through a day of safety training. I recently helped at our food bank sorting food; it really keeps us grounded. justginger, that is a great way to celebrate the holidays!

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
I really like Donors Choose. It''s a cool way to find out exactly what your donation is being used for!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mid-Atlantic Horse Rescue

I donate to them monthly. This is where my horse, Red, came from. They do really good work and make a huge difference in the lives of many, many Thoroughbreds!
21.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/28/2009 11:31:02 AM
Author: Lorelei
Here is one of my favourite charities-

www.worldhorsewelfare.org

Formerly known as International League for the Protection of Horses ( ILPH). They do wonderful work rescuing and rehabilitating unwanted and abused horses plus campaigning to end the cruelties suffered by horses destined for slaughter.
38.gif

This charity is very dear to my heart and I have supported WHW for many years and believe in what they do - helping horses have a voice all over the world. With their rehabilitation work, that they give these equines whom have had very little joy in life a reason to trust and to learn that the world can be a good place is priceless.
Amen, Lorelei!!!
36.gif

exoticisabella

Shiny_Rock
Shriners Hospital. My best friend spent much of her childhood in and out of hospitals as a child due to scoliosis and the fact that her eardrums were not formed correctly. Shriners was amazing to both her, her parents and I. They always made sure that we had a place to stay, activities to do together and home-cooked style meals. Her room had bright, happy colors, stuffed animals, a playstation, big screen tv, ANYTHING a child/teenager could want. She went through a bad bought of depression because of everything in her life and I feel that they helped keep her alive in more ways than one.

http://www.shrinershq.org/Hospitals/Main/

eta: A great way to help the shriners is to donate used toys that are still in great condition. They are then given to the children who stay in the hospital.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
My favorites change from time to time. Currently my favorite is our local food pantry. I posted awhile ago about volunterring there and asking others experineces. I vounteer there twice a month (when my kids are in school) and have been surprised at how rewarding it is. I use to just write a check to charity (and I do still give money) but to be hands on is a very different perspective. I now give them time and money.

I have some others I like, but thats my current favorite.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I love to support local charities, so I give money to my local no-kill shelter. They don''t get any support from the local government and rely on donations and volunteers and I''m more than happy to help.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/29/2009 12:47:27 PM
Author: elrohwen
I love to support local charities, so I give money to my local no-kill shelter. They don''t get any support from the local government and rely on donations and volunteers and I''m more than happy to help.
Thats a great cause. I''ll have to look into that one.

CaliSun

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

I posted this topic not to long ago. Everyone here at PS is so kind-hearted. I'm really proud to have stumbled upon this forum, you all are such a great group of folks!

Here is the link to the prior thread: Favorite CharitiesThread (I bet no one could find it since I mis-spelled the subject! I messaged Admin, to no aval...)

My hubby and I support a few charities. But my favorite is Soldiers' Angels. They are a non-profit, founded by a mom of two American soldiers. This charity provides aid and comfort to the men and women in the Army, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard and their families.
Right now, I am participating by "adopting" a soldier, which entails sending him letters and care packages. He's stationed in Afghanistan and really appreciates the support and morale boost.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love to support local charities, so I give money to my local no-kill shelter. They don't get any support from the local government and rely on donations and volunteers and I'm more than happy to help.
+1. Gov't funding is at an all-time low here in CA for all animal shelters.

I'm going to try to switch our cats onto something more nutritous than Purina over the next few months. Since our boy is the pickiest eater in the feline kingdom I fully expect to have bags upon bags of leftovers til we find something he'll eat, and the local shelter can certainly put those to good use.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
I donate to Make-A-Wish. I''ve always appreciated what they do for sick children, and it was a favorite charity of my grandmother''s. I feel somewhat obligated to send my donations there, though, because when my grandmother passed away in 2005 and indicated that as the charity of choice for donations, my uncle, who was suppose to take the money and donate it, didn''t. He just took all that money that was suppose to go to the kids!
38.gif
And so now my Combined Federal Campaign (the government giving program) donation goes to them every year to kind of "make up" for what he did.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Every year I try to find one of those trees with homeless children''s names on them and what they want for christmas. It''s really gratifying going to the toy store to pick something out that you know would make their holiday!! I was going to do it through work this year but all the names were taken so I''m on a hunt to find one :)

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/29/2009 12:52:15 PM
Author: asscherisme

Thats a great cause. I''ll have to look into that one.
I prefer to donate to charities where I know the people and I know where my money is going. The volunteers at the shelter are extremely dedicated and every dollar I give goes directly to the care of the dogs and cats there.

Now that I have a rabbit, I would like to donate to a local rabbit shelter as well.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
As it is Christmas time I have a charity suggestion which I think is really great.

Most communities have some sort of toy collection for children whose parents can''t afford to buy them gifts for Christmas. It''s a simple enough charity to support and lots of fun also. BF and I had fun shopping for kids toys and deciding what would be most appriciated and enjoyed. I like that you can give what you can afford to, even if it''s just a $30 toy it could make a world of difference to a child on Christmas day. And who dosn''t want to put smiles of kids faces.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Every year we give money to Save the Children, St. Jude''s, Make a Wish, and we donate food to a local food bank in our town. We also give toys to Toys for Tots at Xmastime. I also always give away old clothes/shoes/stuff to Goodwill instead of throwing it away.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve been giving to Heifer International for years, after being "recruited" by someone I used to know (now deceased) who was active in the organization. Her late husband had helped raise animals hand even accompanied some of them to their new homes overseas.

This year I sent each of my N&Ns a note asking each of them to look over the Heifer catalogue (http://www.heifer.org/site/c.edJRKQNiFiG/b.204586/ ) let me know how they''d like me to spend $XX for them. They can each choose their own animal or animals, or they can combine several shares to support a larger animal. I heard from one of my nephews this evening -- he split his share, and it looks like he gave it some thought. Yay!

I also support some local charities, but I think Heifer is my favorite. Maybe the fact that I get to "shop" from a "catalogue" has something to do with it!
3.gif

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
This year we found a charity called Smile Train, which provides a full cleft palate correction surgery to a child in the developing world for only $250. We donated this year, and are so excited to know that we will quickly and permanently change one child''s life for the better.

In the third world, most children born with cleft palates are considered cursed, as are their families. If they are not killed or abandoned at birth, than the child and family often become social outcasts, with parents losing their jobs, and children unable to attend school. This surgery truly changes the lives of the children and their families.

Check out their website: www.smiletrain.org

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Vesper--We just received information from Smile Train in the mail, DH and I are planning on working it into our budget so we can donate for at least one surgery.

We donate monthly to the ASPCA and the Humane Society. We also give irregularly to a number of other charities, as well.
The biggest thing for us is donating our time. We're trying really hard to make more time to volunteer with local organizations, because we definitely have more time than money. Sometimes we *feel* like we don't have a lot of time, but we do, we just have to plan for it.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hand food, never cash, directly to beggars in my city.

That is the only charity in which 100% of the contributions benefit the intended recipient.

Zero is siphoned off by others, or a bureaucracy, between me and the recipient.

It also results in some wonderful conversations.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Our favourite charities to support at Christmas are: our local animal shelter, The Salvation Army and The Make A Wish Foundation.

Our ''any occasion support'' goes to our local Transition Place where abused women and their children are taken care of. I''ve never thought to ask whether they will accept abused men, but will on my next visit.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results