shape
carat
color
clarity

What is your favority charity?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CaliSun

Shiny_Rock
Everyone here at PS seems so kind-hearted, I can''t help but think - your good spirits must extend beyond the forum, right?

So, if you are involved in a charity or several charities, which is your favorite and why?

I hope that this question is not seen to be invasive. Thanks in advance for sharing and caring
face1.gif

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I like Komen for the Cure, Replanting the Rainforests, and I donate to a local library fund.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
a local animal shelter and World Society for the Protection of Animals.

CaliSun

Shiny_Rock
Oh blurg - I can''t believe I made a typo when creating this topic!
I''ve asked for admin help to have it corrected. I intended to write ''favorite'' not favority!

Thanks for your understanding

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Best nest- It helps children who are orphaned by Aids.

Aids Alive. Does a lot to educate students about Aids, helps those afflicted, and so much more. The founder Marty Gillin lost her son to Aids. He was a good friend of mine. I lost my brother to Aids in ''93, he was 37 . I got involved when I became great friends with Marty''s Sil. It''s been a great blessing to me.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
The Lupus Foundation of America, Texas Gulf Coast Chapter. I have SLE Lupus.

World Vision. I sponsor a child in Bangladesh, Shohana, and she is now able to go to school. Her family is very poor and my monthly gift is assisting her whole family. I''m SO proud to be her sponsor! Her photo is attached.

The Arthritis Foundation. My late Mom had RA. I have osteoarthritis.

AIDS Foundation Houston. One of my dearest friends has Aids.

Houston Food Bank. I can''t imagine anyone going hungry, EVER!

Katy Christian Ministries. They have a food bank and offer support to the Katy, TX area.

Houston SPCA. We''ve adopted many furbabies from the SPCA....Coco is our latest.

Best Friends Animal Society. I just posted the story of Jinx on Hangout.

Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, Rabbit Committee. We raise money to sponsor the Rabbit Show and award the winners of the Youth Rabbit Show. It allows FFA and 4H members to show their prize rabbits.

The Salvation Army. Everything they do is wonderful!

The Star of Hope Mission. They provide services to the homeless in the Houston area.

There are more, but these are the main ones we give to.

Lori

Shohana2.jpg

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Save the Children. We sponsor a little girl in Mozambique.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Forgot to mention that we also give to St. Jude''s Children''s Hospital every year.

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
The Elephant Sanctuary - www.elephants.com

Kiva - www.kiva.org - it''s actually a micro-lending site..I love it.

Camille

Shiny_Rock
a)Too personal to post here but, 100% local for children/elderly.
b)Daily Bread (proceeds go to medication/blankets/shelter)

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been involved with St. Jude and Easter Seals since college - both are WONDERFUL charities that do a great deal of good.

Other than charity associated with religious groups, I also support local fine arts - I believe that art and music have a lot to offer a community. Volunteering with local humane societies is also something I''ve been doing since I was in college.

My DH donates blood/platelets on a regular basis. I know it''s not exactly a charity, but it is a donation, helps people, and something that he feels very strongly about.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. The North Shore Animal League, sponsoring the life long care of an unadoptable dog.
2. Guide Dogs for the Blind
3. "1000 Friends" through the Matthew Kelly Foundation. "1000 Friends" supports the foundation''s "School''s Project" which gives away tens of thousands of books each year to high school age kids.

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Olive Branch School, in Tanzania

theolivebranchforchildren.org

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Give to so many, but always/consistently support the Food Bank.

cheers--Sharon

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ll admit that I haven''t donated to many charities, but I do love the work that the Special Olympics does. I''ve always wanted to work with this organization somehow but I haven''t done more than think about it. Maybe this thread will inspire me to actually do more than that. I love watching people with difficulties achieve something and feel so proud of themselves.

Efe

Brilliant_Rock
My absolute favorite charity is Modest Needs, www.modestneeds.org.

We also give to our local church and to several homeless organizations.

CaliSun

Shiny_Rock
Wow, you all have such big hearts! Thank you for sharing this about yourselves.

We''re involved with a few charities, among them are the NRDC, and the California State Parks Foundation.

My absolute favorite is Soldiers'' Angels
It''s a wonderful organization which provides support to deployed and wounded soldiers, as well as aid to military families in need.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
When I had more money.
boy scouts of america
cerebral palsy research
Alzheimers research(my mother lost her battle to this heartless disease and breast cancer 4 years ago)
Breast cancer research
womens shelters on my state
Primary childrens hospital burn unit
I also try to do some work in the community by helping out at batterered womans shelters and the hospital burn unit with my church group(i survived a gas explosion as a child and want burn survivers to know that they can survive this type of extreme tramia)

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I give non-parishishables to the food bank. I do not like giving out $ because there is no way to track where the money actually goes to. Could be all allocated to "administrative fees."

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
I''m not sure if you''d count this or not but I give an incredible amount of time to my local volunteer fire department as a firefighter and EMT.

I''m also not sure if I''d consider my church a charity but I give a good bit to them as well.

Finally, Compassion International. I sponsor a beautiful 8 year old girl in the Honduras. The money goes toward clothes, food, health care, and school for her. We write to each other (it was to her mother and/or teacher initially) at least 6 times a year. Someday, when she gets a little older, I''d love to visit her. Here is the original photo I had of her. I adore my niece and they share the same name so I chose her specifically because of that.

eliana1.jpg

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
There are quite a few, but the main three are: The Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation, Susan G. Komen for the Cure, and ALSAC/St. Jude''s Children''s Research Hospital.

I''ve always known about St. Jude''s. I had a friend growing up that had lukemia and he was treated at St. Jude''s. Unfortunately, he passed away when we were in the 3rd grade. But I truly believe in the mission of St. Jude''s; that no child should die in the dawn of life.

My maternal grandmother died from breast cancer, which is why we support the Komen foundation.

There isn''t a personal reason why I support the Elizabeth Glaser foundation . . . or I guess, it''s personal in that I hate the idea of a child dying fom AIDS. The thought just makes me incredibly sad.

We also give to the Philadelphia Ronald McDonald house.

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
I tend to give to local/regional charities, most frequently to a local community ministries group that does a lot of work with homelessness and poverty in my town; my church''s diocesan hunger fund; and Horton''s Kids, which is a mentoring/tutoring program for kids in southeast DC.

I also volunteer with the Junior League, which is where I first of involved with Horton''s Kids.

For those of you who are Feds, the Combined Federal Campaign will be kicking off soon!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Medicins Sans Frontieres,

without whom Iwouldn't have been here today or may even have been dead!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results