shape
carat
color
clarity

Favorite board/card games

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since we are self isolating and quarantining (many of us with loved ones) what are some of your favorite board or card games? What family fun activities are you enjoying these days? Please share.

calvinandhobbesgames.gif

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We like playing a card game my parents taught me when I was a little girl. One they played with friends and my grandparents on a regular basis. It's called "May I". Not sure if there is another name for it but you can play with just 2 people so we enjoy playing that card game occasionally.

We also enjoy Scrabble.

So far that's it for us lol.

We have other board games but my dh isn't into them right now.

Monopoly, Chess, Checkers, Life, Clue etc.

Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 12.16.37 PM.png

scrabbleandgracie.png

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yahtzee! Yesterday when we played DH got Yahtzee twice, TWICE in the same game!!!

DH and oldest son will play chess on occasion.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
Most of the games we like are for small groups but we do like scrabble...we play with our own rules sometimes and that is a blast. Dh likes strategy games but me not as much. I have a big puzzle that I think I will get out. We aren't having anyone over anytime soon so I can afford to use the table space without worry about having to put it away.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We’ve been bowling, boxing, shooting, and cow racing on the Wii. I’ve been thrashing DH at Scrabble, and we’ve been putting. All the downstairs is wood or travertine, so we play on the landing which is carpeted.

We’ve got other board games, but it’s no so much fun with only the 2 of us.

We’ve also been throwing a ball back and forth in the garden.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We’ve been bowling, boxing, shooting, and cow racing on the Wii. I’ve been thrashing DH at Scrabble, and we’ve been putting. All the downstairs is wood or travertine, so we play on the landing which is carpeted.

We’ve got other board games, but it’s no so much fun with only the 2 of us.

We’ve also been throwing a ball back and forth in the garden.

So true. It's much more fun playing games with more people. I envy larger families right now!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most of the games we like are for small groups but we do like scrabble...we play with our own rules sometimes and that is a blast. Dh likes strategy games but me not as much. I have a big puzzle that I think I will get out. We aren't having anyone over anytime soon so I can afford to use the table space without worry about having to put it away.

Haha yes. Our place is quite the disorganized "mess" right now. But challenging times call for less perfection and we too have games all over the place.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yahtzee! Yesterday when we played DH got Yahtzee twice, TWICE in the same game!!!

DH and oldest son will play chess on occasion.

I love chess but I haven't played in so long I forgot the rules. We have Yahtzee somewhere. Thanks for the reminder. I forgot how to play that one too but I have a feeling it will be easier to relearn than Chess.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

elizat

Ideal_Rock
We have both been working from home. I worked until almost 8 p.m. last night remotely. We have been working more since all of this started, rather than less.

We do have board games, but usually don't play them. I like Rummy 500, he hates it. We do board games with the 13 year old at times.

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
My son loves Monopoly. He loves to send me to jail!
He also plays chess with his dad. He is learning but his concentration is amazing and he is getting rather good!
We also get 'tortured' with the nintendo switch. My son's fave game is Lego superheroes. I have to join him playing in 2 player mode playing a character I don't even recognise getting bossed about and told what to do! ........now where are those headache tablets! o_O

Smith3

Shiny_Rock
Uno and life

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cards Against Humanity for the grown ups, Shoots and Ladders as a family game with the little.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Wow, none of you are listing the new wave of board games, ones like:

Castles of Burgundy
Power Grid
Paperback
Settlers of Catan

Paperback is a lot more interesting than Scrabble imo.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We play Uno a lot

Our favourite card game is Skip-bo. We all enjoy it. Starting with my 5 y/O and mum still plays it with us (sadly because of Covid she had to postpone her visit ).

We avoid board games these days. DS is 12 and a sweet kid, but he's a sore loser and Monopoly or risk end up in fights sometimes...

I'm trying to teach him to be more gracious, but so far no luck... Any recommendations??

I read the British Royal Family isn't allowed Monopoly and I totally get why!!

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
just us we normally play monopoly or 500 rummy

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We play Uno a lot

Our favourite card game is Skip-bo. We all enjoy it. Starting with my 5 y/O and mum still plays it with us (sadly because of Covid she had to postpone her visit ).

We avoid board games these days. DS is 12 and a sweet kid, but he's a sore loser and Monopoly or risk end up in fights sometimes...

I'm trying to teach him to be more gracious, but so far no luck... Any recommendations??

I read the British Royal Family isn't allowed Monopoly and I totally get why!!

LOL when my sister and I were young our family enjoyed playing board games and my dad was definitely a sore loser and occasionally when things weren't going his way fights would ensue and sometimes the board game would "accidentally" get thrown off the table. True story. :lol:

@kipari I don't have any recommendations but I will say my dad is an amazing human in all other ways and very very gracious (except for playing board games lol) so maybe don't stress too much about your son being a sore winner/loser? Hugs!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, none of you are listing the new wave of board games, ones like:

Castles of Burgundy
Power Grid
Paperback
Settlers of Catan

Paperback is a lot more interesting than Scrabble imo.

I have not kept up with anything past the 80s re board games lol. I know, it's bad. But my dh generally doesn't like playing board games so that's why all we have are the oldies. Will look into the ones you recommend. Thanks @voce.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cards Against Humanity for the grown ups, Shoots and Ladders as a family game with the little.

We enjoy Cards Against Humanity but it's not as much fun with 2 people. If only we could teach Oliver and Gracie and Tommy and Bobby to play...I would love to hear their answers.:cheeky:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My son loves Monopoly. He loves to send me to jail!
He also plays chess with his dad. He is learning but his concentration is amazing and he is getting rather good!
We also get 'tortured' with the nintendo switch. My son's fave game is Lego superheroes. I have to join him playing in 2 player mode playing a character I don't even recognise getting bossed about and told what to do! ........now where are those headache tablets! o_O

I love Monopoly. An oldie but a goodie. Again we really need to teach the cats to play so we can get more than 2 playing. LOL.

It's really great for teaching concentration and other skills so yay your son is enjoying it!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have both been working from home. I worked until almost 8 p.m. last night remotely. We have been working more since all of this started, rather than less.

We do have board games, but usually don't play them. I like Rummy 500, he hates it. We do board games with the 13 year old at times.

I like Rummy. I am glad you are working and being productive but I do hope you aren't exhausting yourself and you are finding time to relax. Take care @elizat and be well.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Uno
Skipbo
Skyjo

Spyfall - kids like but I dont care for

Like to teach the kids backgammon but not sure if they are interested.

Edit...forgot Yahtzee

Last edited:

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL when my sister and I were young our family enjoyed playing board games and my dad was definitely a sore loser and occasionally when things weren't going his way fights would ensue and sometimes the board game would "accidentally" get thrown off the table. True story. :lol:

@kipari I don't have any recommendations but I will say my dad is an amazing human in all other ways and very very gracious (except for playing board games lol) so maybe don't stress too much about your son being a sore winner/loser? Hugs!

This actually makes me feel a lot better! From all you have shared your dad is such a wonderful person - so of that stays the major problem with my ds, I'm fine with it!

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Uno
Skipbo
Skyjo

Spyfall - kids like but I dont care for

Like to teach the kids backgammon but not sure if they are interested.

Edit...forgot Yahtzee

We love Skip-bo and Uno, so I'll order Skyjo, thanks for the idea. And @missy great and timely thread

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results