shape
carat
color
clarity

Favorite baby names

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2007 8:21:32 PM
Author: Pandora II
Siobhan... (for Gypsy) My cousin is Nadia Siobhan

Lara''s as it was shortly after Dr Zivagho.
I like the name Lara... LOVE Siobhan though. If it wouldn''t be ABSOLUTELY ridiculous for a half Persian half Italian girl to be given SUCH a gaelic name it would be my top choice.

And I defend Rowan for a girl. Sorry folks!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I know 2 female Rowans and no male ones at all - I had it as a girls name.

Wow gypsy that must be a great mix - Italian and Persian. I was at college with two sisters who were half Iranian half english and they were incredible looking.

I always notice what fantastic features and bone structure a lot of Iraquis have when I''m watching the news. - and such beautiful children.

A friend of mine at school was desperate to marry an ''exotic looking'' man so that she would have beautiful children!

Picos

Rough_Rock
Well, my husband is mexican and his name is Jose and I really don''t like that name (sorry honey!) or any other male hispanic names. There are a lot of girl names I thought were pretty but one of his 50 FIRST COUSINS had every one I liked

My fiance''s name is José and he''s Mexican. (no surprise there)

I used to hate the name José because (living in houston) it''s a popular name. I didn''t know his name when I first spotted him and thought he was cute. Then later we started talking and he told me his name. And then I liked the name José. OK, so it''s not my favourite name in the world.

Of course, I''ve always rather fancied male Hispanic names (Igancio, Pedro, Edmundo, Jaime).

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2007 2:59:59 PM
Author: YMA
Cehrabehra,

You kinda hit some of the issues right on the head, It is a lack of not knowing exactly were your ancestors are from due to that exact reason you named (the slave trade).

I lived in Nigeria, and I felt proud and happy to say I was ''African-American'' to which the people all started laughing and stared blankly at me while saying you don''t a a drop of African Blood in you so you are not African American or African Anything.

It is all very heavy stuff to talk about but I think people should put it out there more.
I agree. But sometimes I feell like it isn''t my place to put it out there or even want it out there. I tend to think everything is better out clearly on the table, but not everyone agrees. The African American title I always sat on the fence about. It didn''t totally make sense to me but it wasn''t really my place to decide. One of the things that concerns me, and not just about race but about other things as well.... I''ll use the word "secretary" to explain it. At first it was good to be a girl friday... then a secretary... and now even administrative assistant is falling to the side... you can find the same thing with like the word "handicapped" "disabled" etc. A word will fall out of favor and replaced with another term that is supposed to be free of sensitivity but over time it develops it nonetheless. A friend of mine in nyc who is black - she said the latest thing there is "woman of color" (because puerto ricans and others were offended by being called african american) and I asked her what the difference was between "woman of color" and "colored woman" and she laughed and said she didn''t know, but there was one! I just suspect that at some point the terms that are okay now will again fall to familiarity or disuse and become offensive, bringing in a slew of other words... and to ME the problem isn''t as much with any of the words so much as how they are used to differentiate a group of people who is much more like any other group than not. I dunno, I''ve irritated friends because they think I''m pro-homogenization and a part of me is. I grew up in CA and never really understood racism until I moved to the south (as an adult) and to new england... and it opened my eyes considerably but I''m still this naive, color-blind flowerchild deep down that just wants everyone to get over it and be happy together.... I know that is dismissive, but I am an idealist at heart and it really upsets me how divisive groups can be to one another.

chickflick

Shiny_Rock
I''m 16 weeks pregnant with our first and last child. We won''t know the gender for another month but we''ve been talking about names for a while since this is our third pregnancy after two miscarriages. My husband and I have totally opposite tastes in names- I like less common and unisex names while he likes names that are very familiar to him. We decided to name a son after his father (John) and use my husband''s name as a middle name because I love it (James). So if our baby is a boy he will likely be Jonathan James. I want to use the nickname Jace but Jim really doesn''t like that. I think I have time to win him over!

For a girl, we literally went through 1,000 names from the Social Security Administration and found one that we both liked- Leah. I''m thinking either Leah Elisabeth or Leah Michele (using my name as the middle name).

If Jim didn''t get a say (darn it!) I''m certain I would name a daughter after my mother, Joanna, but Jim dislikes the name and has an ex named Anne so he says it''s out. I also love the name Windsor but no one else loves it but me. Other faves are Cecily, Julia, Indira, Amaris, and Adele. For boys I love Matteo, Diego, Eli, and Cannon.

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2007 6:24:22 PM
Author: Gypsy

I like the name Lara... LOVE Siobhan though. If it wouldn''t be ABSOLUTELY ridiculous for a half Persian half Italian girl to be given SUCH a gaelic name it would be my top choice.

At the risk of sounding dim here...how do you pronounce that? I look at it and read "Cy-o-ban". Sounds like a antibacterial cleaner to me. LOL. It looks pretty though, so I''m sure I''m missing the correct pronounciation.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/29/2007 5:39:30 PM
Author: divergrrl

Date: 7/20/2007 6:24:22 PM
Author: Gypsy

At the risk of sounding dim here...how do you pronounce that? I look at it and read ''Cy-o-ban''. Sounds like a antibacterial cleaner to me. LOL. It looks pretty though, so I''m sure I''m missing the correct pronounciation.
Ha ha ha...it''s Shivon (all short vowels).

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
I looked it up...I was right, that''s not how its pronounced.... its Irish.... here''s a blurb from the website...

It IS pretty.

...Popular Irish girls'' names include Siobhan (pronounced "shiv-awn," the name of WNBA star Rebecca Lobo''s daughter

Had a feeling...I''d been looking for Irish names since both DH and I have Irish Grandmothers (his hails directly from Dublin...he''s a 1st generation american..but his mom was raised in England & his dad was an American soldier who imported her to the states)......we chose Delaney for our girl due in 3 weeks. but I noticed many of the Irish names sounded completely different in American English than how they are meant to be pronounced in Ireland.

I had to choose something easy for other Americans to get. A lifetime of being a "Jeannine" and having to spell/pronounce my name for people on a daily basis has turned me off to giving my kids names that aren''t easy on the public. Dumb reason sure...but here I have what I think is a gorgeous name (and I''m glad my parents chose it) yet, not a day goes by that I have to spell it out. No one gets it right on the first, second, third whatever try.

Hey, at least the French guy who opened a fab boulangerie near my house got it right...he even put the french pronounciation on it, which always makes me smile. (its a french name)

Diver aka Jeannine (J-e-a-n-n-i-n-e yes, there are 3 n''s. Think Jean-nine. No, not Jeannie, or Jennie, or Jeana. No, it doesn''t start with a G. )
9.gif

honeyhaze

Rough_Rock
I'm still undecided, but here are two that I keep coming back to:

Girl: Ayla Juniper. Ayla is both a Turkish (halo) and Hebrew (oak tree) name. I fell in love with it after reading Clan of the Cave Bear and I haven't been able to shake it since then. Juniper is for my mother, who's middle name is June.

Boy: Quinn Sky. I've liked Quinn for a long time now. I'm not completely certain why, aside from the fact that Q names are rare and it has a spunky sort of feeling to it. Sky for no particular reason, possibly only because I like nature names as middle names.

I also like Sasha and Willow a lot, but I have a dog and a piglet with those names. I should have saved them... lol!

Nico and Luca are two boys names that I like, but I don't think my husband would go for them. I think Luke will likely be in our top three, though, if he decides against Quinn.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I love classic names. Our son is John Thomas (JT)
I also like Levi, Noah, Matthew and for girls Eva Marie, Isabelle Grace, and Lorelei Lee (which are also versions of family names, not just the lovely Marilyn!), Olivia, Sophia and Linea. But, our families are so large, we are very limited on names that haven''t been used.

I know a girl whose name is Mary and her husband is Ryan. They named their daughter Maryan. I thought that was pretty neat.

1.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/29/2007 5:47:31 PM
Author: divergrrl
I'd been looking for Irish names since both DH and I have Irish Grandmothers (his hails directly from Dublin...he's a 1st generation american..but his mom was raised in England & his dad was an American soldier who imported her to the states)......we chose Delaney for our girl due in 3 weeks. but I noticed many of the Irish names sounded completely different in American English than how they are meant to be pronounced in Ireland.

I had to choose something easy for other Americans to get. A lifetime of being a 'Jeannine' and having to spell/pronounce my name for people on a daily basis has turned me off to giving my kids names that aren't easy on the public.

I guess that rules out "Sadhbh", pronounced "Sive". She was the daughter of our Irish next door neighbors in Connecticut. Their son was Cillian (pronounced Kill-ee-un).

Deborah
34.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I met a woman named Lisette the other day. I thought that was a quite beautiful name. It seems so specifically French that it's hard to imagine it paired with Fi's Japanese last name. The more I say it though, the better it sounds
3.gif
haha!

ETA: I just realized this is my 1,500th post! Wahoo!
9.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am partial to the name Leanne. That is my daughters name.
9.gif

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
What fun!
9.gif
I used to want to name a girl Katelyn and call her Kate, but this year alone I have 10 students named Katelyn in some form or another. Now I definitely want to name a girl Madison...it''s the name of the town where FI and I first went camping, and well, had a lot of other firsts (sorry if TMI)! Boys are SO MUCH harder! I love the name Jeremy for a boy, but FI refuses since he says he will always think of the Pearl Jam song...not a good association.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
We''re about 5 years from kids (young and newlywed) but we have names already, just in case ;-) This is too fun of a thread to pass up!

Elyse Marie (I wanted to name our first daughter Elizabeth, but DH has a thing against names that can be shortened. Marie was my middle name before we were married - I took my maiden name as my middle).
Neil Elwood (Elwood is my grandmother''s maiden)

"Suprise" Names:
Hannah Kate (Kate is his sister''s middle)
Ben...no idea what we''d put with it, but it''s a solid name :)

DH also likes Samantha a lot, but when I found out it was a former pet''s name I vetoed. And I liked Noah a lot but DH vetoed. I also like the names Nolan, Ethan and Ian, Sophie, Isabel, and Laurel.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2007 8:59:38 PM
Author: Sabine
What fun!
9.gif
I used to want to name a girl Katelyn and call her Kate, but this year alone I have 10 students named Katelyn in some form or another. Now I definitely want to name a girl Madison...it''s the name of the town where FI and I first went camping, and well, had a lot of other firsts (sorry if TMI)! Boys are SO MUCH harder! I love the name Jeremy for a boy, but FI refuses since he says he will always think of the Pearl Jam song...not a good association.

Madison is *really* popular right now. You will have about 10 of them in your class soon! Our female cat is named Madison b/c I am from Wisconsin.

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
What fun!
9.gif
I used to want to name a girl Katelyn and call her Kate, but this year alone I have 10 students named Katelyn in some form or another. Now I definitely want to name a girl Madison...it's the name of the town where FI and I first went camping, and well, had a lot of other firsts (sorry if TMI)! Boys are SO MUCH harder! I love the name Jeremy for a boy, but FI refuses since he says he will always think of the Pearl Jam song...not a good association.
Hmm, we're using Katelyn for our baby girl! Katelyn Isabelle. I personally don't know anyone with a daughter named Katelyn, and according to the SSA Web site, for the past 15 years, it's been between 50-65 on the top 100 list, so it shouldn't be THAT common! I think Kate is classic, Katie is cute, and Katelyn is pretty, so I'd be happy with calling her any of the above! (Seems like Kaitlyn is the most popular spelling for it -- that is more common than Katelyn.)

Katelyn is definitely not as trendy as Olivia, Hannah, Ava, Sophia, Emma, etc. (all names I like, by the way, but wouldn't use because they're just too popular) right now, so hopefully our little Katelyn/Kate/Katie won't be one of 10 in her class!

Our little boy is going to be Gabriel Jacob. Not sure if we'll call him Gabriel or Gabe ... guess we'll see what his personality is like! I like Gabriel -- it's a nice strong name!

ETA: According to SSA site, Madison was #3 on the list for 2006, so if you're worried about using too trendy a name, you may want to rethink that one!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband refused to allow me to use any name that had an Italian equivalent!!! All my life I had wanted to name my daughter, "Katrina", which was definitely not popular back when I was first married or thinkng about having children. NO one in the United States was named Katrina. It had an Italian equivalent, of course, Caterina. So we compromised on "Whitney", which is Anglo-Saxon in origin and means, "from a white island".

Deb
34.gif

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
24.gif

Date: 9/14/2007 9:41:39 AM
Author: ellaila

What fun!
9.gif
Hmm, we''re using Katelyn for our baby girl! Katelyn Isabelle. I personally don''t know anyone with a daughter named Katelyn, and according to the SSA Web site, for the past 15 years, it''s been between 50-65 on the top 100 list, so it shouldn''t be THAT common! I think Kate is classic, Katie is cute, and Katelyn is pretty, so I''d be happy with calling her any of the above! (Seems like Kaitlyn is the most popular spelling for it -- that is more common than Katelyn.)

Katelyn is definitely not as trendy as Olivia, Hannah, Ava, Sophia, Emma, etc. (all names I like, by the way, but wouldn''t use because they''re just too popular) right now, so hopefully our little Katelyn/Kate/Katie won''t be one of 10 in her class!

Our little boy is going to be Gabriel Jacob. Not sure if we''ll call him Gabriel or Gabe ... guess we''ll see what his personality is like! I like Gabriel -- it''s a nice strong name!

ETA: According to SSA site, Madison was #3 on the list for 2006, so if you''re worried about using too trendy a name, you may want to rethink that one!
Oh no! I guess I''m back to the drawing board...but who knows, maybe both my names will go back out of style before I''m ready to have my own kiddos! Back when I was in school, my name (Jessica) was so popular that I never felt unique, but now it''s much less common based on my teaching experience. Weird how these things go in phases...

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
I tend to like very traditional names. My kids'' first names are Sarah (after my mother), Emily (after my sister), and Thomas (after my father). Their middle names are all family surnames (and two of them are called by their middle names). They also have a second, Vietnamese middle name from my husband''s family.

I will admit that I''m pretty, um, rigid about names. I will only use names that are in the family. I have no problem using names that relatives have used; in fact it''s very common in my family for cousins to have the same name. As a southerner, I''m all about using surnames as first/middle names, but any surnames I use must be actual names that occured in my family, not a random name that sounded good to me. I have no problem with nicknames, but the full version goes on the birth certificate.

Other names I''d consider if we were having more children (which we aren''t!):

Girls: Caroline, Elizabeth, Margaret (probably nn Daisy), Anne/Anna, Julia

Boys: Henry, Charles, William, possibly Francis

There are tons of other names that I like, but these are the ones I''d use.

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/14/2007 9:41:39 AM
Author: ellaila

What fun!
9.gif
Hmm, we''re using Katelyn for our baby girl! Katelyn Isabelle. I personally don''t know anyone with a daughter named Katelyn, and according to the SSA Web site, for the past 15 years, it''s been between 50-65 on the top 100 list, so it shouldn''t be THAT common! I think Kate is classic, Katie is cute, and Katelyn is pretty, so I''d be happy with calling her any of the above! (Seems like Kaitlyn is the most popular spelling for it -- that is more common than Katelyn.)

Katelyn is definitely not as trendy as Olivia, Hannah, Ava, Sophia, Emma, etc. (all names I like, by the way, but wouldn''t use because they''re just too popular) right now, so hopefully our little Katelyn/Kate/Katie won''t be one of 10 in her class!

Our little boy is going to be Gabriel Jacob. Not sure if we''ll call him Gabriel or Gabe ... guess we''ll see what his personality is like! I like Gabriel -- it''s a nice strong name!

ETA: According to SSA site, Madison was #3 on the list for 2006, so if you''re worried about using too trendy a name, you may want to rethink that one!
Ella, I LOVE Katelyn for all the same reasons you do.... its classic and versatile. It also helps that my little cousin gives the name good connotations for me.
1.gif
BUT fair warning if you''re going by the SSA list: the truest way to figure out popularity is to add up all the births for each spelling of the name. So with Kaitlyn, Katelyn, Caitlyn, Caitlin, Katelynn, Kaitlin and Kaitlynn.... there were a combined 16,902 births in 2006, which puts it at #5 on the list!! Which probably explains why Sabine has so many in her class.
1.gif

I actually learned that the hard way, because DH and I had always loved the name Jack... but I discovered it comes in at #4 on the list just using Jack and Jackson, without counting any Johns that will go by Jack... ugh. Just a bit too popular right now I think.

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Tacori, I
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
Tessa.... it has been one of my favorite names every since I was little naming my dolls!
9.gif
I would use it for my daughter in a second if I could get DH to agree!! It's cute for a little girl, cool for a teenager, and professional for a grown-up... although Natalie is too. I don't think you can go wrong either way! As for middle names, I really like Grace, but it may be getting a bit overused these days... Claire is beautiful... that would be my vote.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/14/2007 6:46:53 PM
Author: ephemery1
Tacori, I
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
Tessa.... it has been one of my favorite names every since I was little naming my dolls!
9.gif
I would use it for my daughter in a second if I could get DH to agree!! It''s cute for a little girl, cool for a teenager, and professional for a grown-up... although Natalie is too. I don''t think you can go wrong either way!

Thanks hard to believe DH came up with that one! Any vote on a middle name? I want something uncommon (not strange). I have a VERRRRRY common first name and always hated it.

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/14/2007 6:50:08 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring

Tacori, I
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
9.gif
I would use it for my daughter in a second if I could get DH to agree!! It''s cute for a little girl, cool for a teenager, and professional for a grown-up... although Natalie is too. I don''t think you can go wrong either way!

Thanks hard to believe DH came up with that one! Any vote on a middle name? I want something uncommon (not strange). I have a VERRRRRY common first name and always hated it.
Hehe... I was editing my post to include my vote for a middle name when you posted!!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/14/2007 6:50:58 PM
Date: 9/14/2007 6:50:08 PM

Author: Tacori E-ring

Tacori, I
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
9.gif

Hehe... I was editing my post to include my vote for a middle name when you posted!!

Oh sorry! My grandmother''s name is Clarice so Claire would be cute. I love the name Grace and I know it is so common but that doesn''t bother me for a middle name (since you don''t really use your middle that much).

E B

Ideal_Rock
Claire and Grace are mighty over-used as middle names (which is a bummer, because I've got Claire on my first name list, but am re-thinking due to popularity), so I would *personally* go for something different. Can I still vote for James? It's funky, and not the middle name every girl out there has.

Tessa James and Natalie James both sound good!
10.gif
I also think Tessa Elizabeth sounds beautiful, and it has some significance being passed down from you. My middle name will be passed down to our (hypothetical) child!

E B

Ideal_Rock
Clio,

We have *very* similar taste in names! If FH and I have a son, it''s decided that his name will be Henry, and for a girl, we''re thinking Eleanor. Caroline is also on our list!

E B

Ideal_Rock
Tacori,

Have you seen www.nymbler.com? It''s a baby name site that lets you type in names you like, and it gives you suggestions based on the names you like. It might be helpful for finding the perfect middle name!

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Ebree, I think Henry is so cute for a boy! I love Eleanor too, that was on my list of names but it was recently taken in the family. I also love all of the nicknames that could come out of Eleanor, some of them may depend on how you spell Eleanor. But you could have Elli, Elle, Nora, Ellen.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/14/2007 8:26:55 PM
Author: sunkist
Ebree, I think Henry is so cute for a boy! I love Eleanor too, that was on my list of names but it was recently taken in the family. I also love all of the nicknames that could come out of Eleanor, some of them may depend on how you spell Eleanor. But you could have Elli, Elle, Nora, Ellen.

Isn't Henry adorable? I tend to go for the names 'popular in the early 1900s', but they're classic AND they aren't popular now, which are my two main criteria!

I absolutely love Nora as a nickname for Eleanor. I think we're seriously leaning toward it as THE girl name, but we've got some time to decide.
9.gif
What are some others on your list?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results