shape
carat
color
clarity

Favorite baby names

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Joolskie

Shiny_Rock
I pronounce "goalie" as "go-lee" with a long o sound. I pronounce "Keely" as "kee-lee" with a long e sound.

Tgal... I love the names Amelia and Aaron. But the Korea/Australia concept is also a great idea. What about a name that is "somewhat" representative such as Karlie for a girl and Kory (sheesh, I like those darn y''s) for a boy?!?

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Tacori, I get what you''re saying now about them not ryhyming. How do you say goalie? This should be part of the "What dialect do you speak?" thread from hangout!

TG, I love Aaron and Amelia, especially the sentiment! So sweet.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
sorry, never mind. hehe

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kim, I say it the same as Joolskie. I say Goalie with a long "O".

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/12/2007 10:36:35 AM
Author: Tacori E-ring
Kim, I say it the same as Joolskie. I say Goalie with a long ''O''.
Got it.

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
my freshman roommate was a keely and she was one smart chick!

For a while now, i''ve been loving the name pearl for a little girl. I told my DH and his was response was that "I guess that means she''ll have to grow up to work in a diner"
38.gif
but, just the other night, out of nowhere, he told me he really likes the name
9.gif

i''m sure there''ll be plenty of other names considered along the way!

YMA

Shiny_Rock
When I had my daughter 17 years ago, I was in love with the name Kaitlyn Elizabeth.

There were like 3 or 4 other Kaitlyn's in the nursery with different spelling variations so I changed it to Taylor Kaitlyn. My son's name is Wesley.

Other girl names I love are:

Piper, Marguerite, Hailey, Morgan, Madison,

Devin for a boy or girl

Boy names I love are:

Nathan, Christopher, Ethan, Colin, Gregory,

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm very late to this thread!! The problem I have with almost any name is that I either like the full version and NOT the nickname, or vice versa.

Girls: I like Evelyn and FI likes Penelope. Like Evie but not Lynn, don't like Penny--kind of not okay with naming my kid after currency.

I've been loving Evelyn Palani. FI is part Hawaiian, so I like the nod to that with Palani!

Boys: Charlie... not crazy about Charles. I've always liked the idea of having two boys named Danny and Charlie, though
1.gif
I could use them for girls' names instead (I like Charlotte and Daniela), but thatt's gotten so overpopular lately.

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Ha ha, I just meant that the spelling of Keelie with an "ie" makes me think of the word "goalie" -- not the pronounciation!
2.gif
I say Keel-ee and go-lee, fwiw.

YMA, I''m pregnant with twins, and right now if we have a girl (we''ll find out in a few weeks!), Katelyn is our frontrunner -- Katelyn Isabelle! I''m also torn over the spelling of it though b/c although I like Caitlin, Kaitlyn, and Katelyn, I want to call her Kate/Katie as a nickname, so I feel like I need to use Katelyn or else I''ll feel like I''m spelling her nickname wrong. (Yes, I''m really that anal.) Though I really do think I like Caitlyn the best, I don''t want to call her Caitie. Decisions, decisions!

If we have two girls, I have no idea what the other will be. I love Lily, but that wouldn''t work at all with our last name. I also like Ava, but that may be too trendy. My nieces are Amanda Grace and Emily Catherine, and I''ve got a friend with an Ella, so all those great names are out! Hmmm.

For boys, we both like Gabriel (Gabe), I like Jake (he''s up in the air on that one), and we need to come up with a few more that we both like just in case we have two boys! We''ve got time ... but I can''t see having the "Do you like ____?" conversation over and over again for the next six months! We agreed on Katelyn Isabelle pretty quickly though, so that was a relief
1.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/12/2007 12:39:06 AM
Author: TravelingGal
My niece''s is pronouced KEE-lee too.

My brother was the first one in the entire family to be born in America. My dad wanted to name him HANS.

Now, nothing against the name, but we''re talking a little Korean boy born in the 70s! My only American uncle talked some sense into my father. The irony is my brother hates his proper English name (Charles) and would WAY rather have been named Hans because he thinks it''s cool now.

As for our kid''s names, we joked that people drank so many Irish Car Bombs at our wedding that we would name our son Jameson and our daugther Bailey.
9.gif

But in seriousness, we actually agreed on names on the first pass. TGuy loves Aaron for a boy. I agreed, as it sounded sensible and strong. I picked Amelia for

I really wanted to name my son Hans - always did. I''m 1/4 danish and my danish great grandfather was hans and I''m a blue eyed blonde and I figured hans was a fine name.... well then I married a mexican and out last name is spanish and the incongruity just was like...
38.gif
for a girl I liked megan for years but again.... Not that the names we picked were hispanic, but Hans couldn''t get anymore off, not to mention it kinda rhymes with our last name so it was just ridiculous
7.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/11/2007 10:53:35 PM
Author: KimberlyH
Tacori, just curious, you mentioned Keely doesn''t rhyme with goalie, so how are you saying it?
I''m sorry - but I don''t see how keely COULD rhyme with goalie.... how are you pronouncing keely??

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/11/2007 12:47:25 AM
Author: Harleigh
Sara,

May I ask what you named your daughter?

Funny, my mom only remembers things she wants to, also!!! Go figure!

Harleigh
My daughter''s name is Acacia. uh-kay-sha Sometimes I say Cacia, Cacia, Cacia (like Marcia, Marcia, Marcia! ala jan brady lol) In spanish it has four syllables - uh-kah-see-uh Kinda like how you can pronounce alicia uh-lee-see-uh or uh-lee-sha. Acacia is a type of flowering tree. It''s a very old greek name and is slightly more common in europe I think. http://www.bartleby.com/61/wavs/34/A0033400.wav <~ that will say it for you if my phonetic spellings are super bad LOL

One of the things my mom used to try to get into the name was asking me if I minded if she called her Kay LOL We do call her kaysh a lot...

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/11/2007 5:10:11 PM
Author: Starset Princess
My mom would say, I have a boy and two girls, Erin, Shannon and Devin.

haha - now tell me which name is the boy...AND we''re not Irish
20.gif
my guess is the boy is devin... ??

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/11/2007 6:42:18 PM
Author: Gypsy
Selene Rowan or Rhiann are the girl names I like.

I do like Quinn for a boy, and Reed... and Leo.
no no no - Rowan is a boy''s name - just ask my almost 6 year old son!!! LOL :D

Joolskie

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/13/2007 12:51:21 AM
Author: Cehrabehra
Date: 7/11/2007 6:42:18 PM

Author: Gypsy

Selene Rowan or Rhiann are the girl names I like.

I do like Quinn for a boy, and Reed... and Leo.

no no no - Rowan is a boy''s name - just ask my almost 6 year old son!!! LOL :D

My very good friend named her son Rowen. I love the name. It can work for both boys and girls. Just like Quinn!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2007 12:42:44 AM

Date: 7/11/2007 10:53:35 PM
Author: KimberlyH
Tacori, just curious, you mentioned Keely doesn''t rhyme with goalie, so how are you saying it?
I''m sorry - but I don''t see how keely COULD rhyme with goalie.... how are you pronouncing keely??
Cehra,

I was focused on the ending syllable, not the first, my brain wasn''t focusing when I asked the question.

~K

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/12/2007 8:38:03 PM
Author: ellaila
Ha ha, I just meant that the spelling of Keelie with an ''ie'' makes me think of the word ''goalie'' -- not the pronounciation!
2.gif
I say Keel-ee and go-lee, fwiw.

YMA, I''m pregnant with twins, and right now if we have a girl (we''ll find out in a few weeks!), Katelyn is our frontrunner -- Katelyn Isabelle! I''m also torn over the spelling of it though b/c although I like Caitlin, Kaitlyn, and Katelyn, I want to call her Kate/Katie as a nickname, so I feel like I need to use Katelyn or else I''ll feel like I''m spelling her nickname wrong. (Yes, I''m really that anal.) Though I really do think I like Caitlyn the best, I don''t want to call her Caitie. Decisions, decisions!

If we have two girls, I have no idea what the other will be. I love Lily, but that wouldn''t work at all with our last name. I also like Ava, but that may be too trendy. My nieces are Amanda Grace and Emily Catherine, and I''ve got a friend with an Ella, so all those great names are out! Hmmm.

For boys, we both like Gabriel (Gabe), I like Jake (he''s up in the air on that one), and we need to come up with a few more that we both like just in case we have two boys! We''ve got time ... but I can''t see having the ''Do you like ____?'' conversation over and over again for the next six months! We agreed on Katelyn Isabelle pretty quickly though, so that was a relief
1.gif
my good friend mamed her 1st daughter katelyn. another friend JUST named her daughter Isabella.

i''m really stuck (and dh likes it too) on emily kathryn. spelled kathryn like my middle name. it just flows nicely.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/12/2007 4:55:30 PM
Author: musey
I''m very late to this thread!! The problem I have with almost any name is that I either like the full version and NOT the nickname, or vice versa.

Girls: I like Evelyn and FI likes Penelope. Like Evie but not Lynn, don''t like Penny--kind of not okay with naming my kid after currency.

I''ve been loving Evelyn Palani. FI is part Hawaiian, so I like the nod to that with Palani!

Boys: Charlie... not crazy about Charles. I''ve always liked the idea of having two boys named Danny and Charlie, though
1.gif
I could use them for girls'' names instead (I like Charlotte and Daniela), but thatt''s gotten so overpopular lately.
i have a very good friend named penelope. penny for short.

Picos

Rough_Rock

20.gif

My (boy) cat''s name is Devin; he''s a cutie. I love the name Devin, my fiance suggested it way back when.

YMA

Shiny_Rock
My son's middle name is Oladele pronouced (O-la-de-li), it's a Nigerian name which means loosely "weath comes into the house".

My ex-husband is Nigerian and we agreed that we wanted to honor his culture but didn't want a difficult to pronouce first name.

It is Nigerian custom to have a naming ceremony and have elder family members pick out names........so my son's whole name is:

Wesley Oladele Abiodoun Samson Soloman Oluseguin

These are not all on his birth certificate, it's more of a ritual with a naming ceremony. The only legal names he has is Wesley Oladele.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Siobhan... (for Gypsy) My cousin is Nadia Siobhan

I have a brilliant names book which has all the names from famous literature , there are lots of unusual and interesting ones in it. 'Antigony' anyone?

Just remembered I love the name Lyra - the heroine in His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman.

Only thing is the film comes out this or next year and there are bound to be thousands of Lyra's after that! I was at school with lots of Lara's as it was shortly after Dr Zivagho.

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2007 12:50:29 AM

20.gif
my guess is the boy is devin... ??
Yeah, my brother is Devin.
Funny - back in 1975, my parents waited for me to arrive before deciding whether my name would be Erin or Mercedes.
Thank goodness. I don''t even like the name Sadie - I think of too many cocker spaniels I''ve met.

So that was the start of the androgynous Irish names - even went as far as the family pets.

The spelling names different trend has got to change. My cousin named her son Caymen but spells it something obnoxious like Khaymmon.

I''ve wanted to name future daughters after my grandmothers - Sophia and/or Amelia. Wouldn''t you know, now that I''m at that point in my life (or hopefully will be soon) those names are popular. I just remember in school I was thankful to not be named Jennifer or some variant on Kristen - there were so many.

I like Avalon and Jack - but I''ll have to wait until I get a husband to see what sounds good. Not everything goes well with, let''s say, Birckbichlerstein...

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock
Haha Star - My mom named me Erin Margaret in '81. She'd only met one Erin in her life, and that was a little girl down the street. I got to first grade and was 1 of 3 just in my class. I've completely lost count of the Erin's I've met in my age group, but can't think of a single one I've met outside of it. Yay for catching the start of the popularity wave. I was comforted by the fact that the Jennifer's and Lindsey's had it even worse.

ETA: I've never met a guy w/ it spelled Erin, but I HAVE met plenty of Aaron's. Have you ever been in the situation where somebody with an Erin and Aaron in the room tries to pronounce them differently to differentiate between you? It drives me bonkers. Sounds like they're saying urn or urin.
38.gif

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I work in an office of about 150 and there is one Aaron and then me.
People try to say Air-IN and Air-RON. Whatever, just say Airen and last name cause that pronunciation thing doesn''t work.

The two guys I''ve met named Erin were from very Irish families. Second generation?

I remember that dialect quiz earlier on the Hangout that asked if Dawn and Don were pronounced the same. To me they are but those friends I met in college (from Chicago) and then when I lived in Chicago - Highly, Highly disagreed.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Huh, I always thought Rowan was a girl''s name because the rowan tree was associated with witches.

other favorite girl names I forgot: Claire, Helen or Helene, Khadija (Arabic girl''s name), Samantha, Tabitha (I like Tabby for short!)

Siobhan is great too, although too heavy on Irish for FI and I. Siobhan+VERY Jewish last name...odd.

My brother is named Darius, and he''s a white boy to the core. My stepmother just woke up one night and knew that was his name! Our Iranian friend always corrects our pronounciation and calls him "DariUSH." When we went to Paris I showed him "his" (Darius I''s) palace in the Louvre and he got such a kick out of it!!

YMA

Shiny_Rock
I don't know if this is politically correct to say
33.gif
but, I am a African American I didn't want to give my kids really ethnic sounding first names.

Anyone else feeling the same way about really ethnic sounding names????

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2007 7:31:42 PM
Author: YMA
I don''t know if this is politically correct to say
33.gif
but, I am a African American I didn''t want to give my kids really ethnic sounding first names.

Anyone else feeling the same way about really ethnic sounding names????
Well, my husband is mexican and his name is Jose and I really don''t like that name (sorry honey!) or any other male hispanic names. There are a lot of girl names I thought were pretty but one of his 50 FIRST COUSINS had every one I liked LOL Oh well, I really did have my heart on what I did and after elaborate pleading I got it LOL He did push for a Miguel for our first son but I just don''t like that. I always loved the nordic sounding names... I''m very nordic looking (I''m mostly danish), in fact today I have my hair in pigtails and I look like I''m off a paint can or something today LOL I really wanted hans.... and my youngest was almost Stefan (not steFAWN but STEfan), seriously the name of a 2nd boy was picked out when I was preg with my first girl LOL But then he came out with black eyes and black hair and dark skin and I was like oh this isn''t what I had in mind at all LOL So we had to go through the entire baby name book his first 3 days on earth to come up with a new name LOL My daughter was blondish as a little girl and is still somewhat fair... my middle son I call the golden boy - he has the darkest skin but the lightest hair and really huge amazingly colored hazel eyes with golden centers that jet out like flames with a jaggedy brown edge into forest green... just really crazy pretty eyes... youngest son has the darkest hair and the lightest skin but when he was born he was so red and dark looking - his eyes are still almost black, the darkest eyes I''ve known. None of them look nordic OR hispanic really.... but they all have a slightly exotic edge to them from the mix (I love mixed race people, they are sooooo beautiful to me - there''s my non-pc comment ;D) so its probably good they all got rare/unusual names with somewhat vague origins LOL

YMA

Shiny_Rock
Cehrabehra,

Thanks for your story, very interesting too. :)

Although, I am 100% African-american (I think or I say I am) who really knows with the way this world is now.

I am always mistaken for something else ie....Puerto Rican, Domincan, Half white/Black, not quite black you name it anything but 100% Black.

O.k........... the story behind it I have very light complexion with brownish blonde hair and green eyes, my mom is really dark and my dad a really light skinned black man with blonde hair and blue eyes.

If you ask my dad what race he is he will always say black, I guess it was a source of pain for him as a kid so he really doesn't like to talk about it.
8.gif
He did tell me once he got teased alot as a kid b/c of the way he looked.

What is really funny is.........my mom said when I was born she knew I would be light but I had blue eyes and almost white blond hair. She said when they bought me to her she was like um..... er I think you guys have the wrong baby. She said she put up such a fuss that even the nurses started double and triple checking, in the end she accepted me or the story goes hehehehehe!

Sorry totally off the subject , just wanted to share!!!!!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2007 12:49:08 PM
Author: YMA
Cehrabehra,

Thanks for your story, very interesting too. :)

Although, I am 100% African-american (I think or I say I am) who really knows with the way this world is now.

I am always mistaken for something else ie....Puerto Rican, Domincan, Half white/Black, not quite black you name it anything but 100% Black.

O.k........... the story behind it I have very light complexion with brownish blonde hair and green eyes, my mom is really dark and my dad a really light skinned black man with blonde hair and blue eyes.

If you ask my dad what race he is he will always say black, I guess it was a source of pain for him as a kid so he really doesn''t like to talk about it.
8.gif
He did tell me once he got teased alot as a kid b/c of the way he looked.

What is really funny is.........my mom said when I was born she knew I would be light but I had blue eyes and almost white blond hair. She said when they bought me to her she was like um..... er I think you guys have the wrong baby. She said she put up such a fuss that even the nurses started double and triple checking, in the end she accepted me or the story goes hehehehehe!

Sorry totally off the subject , just wanted to share!!!!!
that''s so interesting that you say this because to me saying you''re black is kinda the same as saying you''re white - there still can be a hundred different nationalities and races all mixed in there. I was at the doctors and a pharm rep came in, a GORGEOUS black man who sat down and we struck a small convo and I asked him what ethnicities he had and he looked at me like I''d sprouted antennae or something and said, "I''m black" (Like I was blind) and I said well yeah I know but I thought you might know.... he was very put off by that. The reason I asked is he looked like he had some egyptian or something, he had amazingly exotic beautiful features and I thought it was a reasonable question. I admit I don''t understand the cultural issues like what you describe from your husband... white people come from all walks as well but seem to take a certain pride in saying oh I''m 1/4 this and 1/2 that. Like someone from africa saying I''m 1/4 nigerian, 1/4 south african, and 1/2 ethiopian. My husband''s family tends to be somewhere between the two, not identifying with their european roots (often through rape) but still having an understanding of there being french, spanish, and dutch at various branches. On the one hand I''m 1/4 danish and I identify with that because it is the greatest concentration of anything in me and I do look the part.... but on the other hand I''m 5th generation californian with a crazy unknown mix of just about everything european and native american. I understand this can all be quite a sensitive subject, but for me I find all of this interesting. Maybe the sensitivity comes from not knowing or having any way of knowing because of the slave trade and rapes and everything else. Not to mention word-of-mouth history is becoming quite passe these days.... unfortunately. Boy, this is pretty heavy stuff and I apologize if I''ve crossed any lines...

YMA

Shiny_Rock
Cehrabehra,

You kinda hit some of the issues right on the head, It is a lack of not knowing exactly were your ancestors are from due to that exact reason you named (the slave trade).

I lived in Nigeria, and I felt proud and happy to say I was "African-American" to which the people all started laughing and stared blankly at me while saying you don't a a drop of African Blood in you so you are not African American or African Anything.

It is all very heavy stuff to talk about but I think people should put it out there more.

Also, it's a little taboo to even talk about it even within the family. For instant in my Dad's family there were 5 kids almost all of them could "Pass' for white but only one of them did and no one seen him for like 25 years until just recently. It's a really sore and painful subject for my dad and his family to talk about.

Passing is the tem blacks use when someone is who Black but looks white enough to go thru life living as a white person. Alex Haley touched on this in his TV mini series "QUEEN" that came on a while back. People do this thinking it's much easier to go thru life as a white person then be black. It's actually more common then most people think.

Sorry for hijacking thread!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results