shape
carat
color
clarity

Faux euro shank

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

teheteha

Rough_Rock

Hi everyone ... I''m new to posting on the forum but have a question about my engagement ring (just got it two weeks ago -- yay!). The original ring given to me by my fiance was a euro shank so when we took it back in to pick out a new band (we got platinum instead of white gold), I picked out a ring that was not a euro shank but we asked if they could make it one while resizing it. They said yes, we went back in a few days to get it ... and, well, it''s not exactly a euro shank. It''s just completely flat on the bottom. I''m attching a picture so you can see what I mean.

Has anyone ever seen this before? I''m trying to decide whether we should take it back and get it made round again. I''m also wondering if we take it back again if it will warp the ring too much. The flat part on the bottom already looks thinner than the rest of the ring but of course I don''t remember if it was originally that way or not. Please let me know what you think! Thank you!!
(p.s. - cross posted to "Show me the ring" forum)

Eringsmall.jpg

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm...I can see what you mean that it doesn't look like a Euro shank, it looks to me like a bent ring. Honestly, I am not sure what would happen if they tried to make it round again (or if they could). There might be even more thinning...hopefully one of the experts will weigh in on this. You might get more responses if this were posted in Rocky Talky...maybe you could message the admin and see about moving it there.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
By the way, congratulations on your engagement
36.gif

tonydia

Rough_Rock
Hi Teheteha, I have attached an image of the type of Euro Shank that we use. It is not made as an add-on but incorporated into the structure of the ring. Functionally, it is designed to help balance the weight of a top heavy ring so that it minimizes a top heavy ring like yours from turning on the finger- keeping it more centered on the finger. It is generally not done as a quick stylistic add-on like the adjustment that was made to your ring. However I must say that the shape and understanding of what a euro-shank is and does varies a great deal.

Date: 2/9/2008 8:51:16 PM
Author:teheteha

Hi everyone ... I''m new to posting on the forum but have a question about my engagement ring (just got it two weeks ago -- yay!). The original ring given to me by my fiance was a euro shank so when we took it back in to pick out a new band (we got platinum instead of white gold), I picked out a ring that was not a euro shank but we asked if they could make it one while resizing it. They said yes, we went back in a few days to get it ... and, well, it''s not exactly a euro shank. It''s just completely flat on the bottom. I''m attching a picture so you can see what I mean.

Has anyone ever seen this before? I''m trying to decide whether we should take it back and get it made round again. I''m also wondering if we take it back again if it will warp the ring too much. The flat part on the bottom already looks thinner than the rest of the ring but of course I don''t remember if it was originally that way or not. Please let me know what you think! Thank you!!
(p.s. - cross posted to ''Show me the ring'' forum)

RA1987A__first_model.JPG

teheteha

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your opinions (and for the congrats!).

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi teheteha,

It would be really helpful in the future if you could only make one thread for a subject. It gets kind of confusing with 3 different threads going. And, it may actually cause you to get less info than you might otherwise.
1.gif

Congrats!!

teheteha

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the tip on posting ... I totally didn''t plan to do it in more than one forum but I didn''t know what was best. I''ll make my decision in advance next time
1.gif

Euro shank, no euro shank or faux euro shank -- I love the ring either way!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
it certainly doesn''t look euroshank to me...i love euroshank. personally, though i think with time and wear a round ring will end up looking a bit like this anyway. also, the band is rather thin overall for euroshank, imo. but then, i''m just another consumer and not in the business!

movie zombie

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
My first engagement ring was a euroshank, and I loved it. It was round on the inside, and squared off on the outside bottom corners. My diamond would spin to the side a lot, and I would use my thumb to reach under, find the square corner and adjust the diamond so it sat upright again. This was pretty automatic after a while. After 12 years of wear 24/7, the corners were beginning to wear down from this.

If they said they would make you a euroshank, I would take it back and ask them to make you a real euroshank. I agree with your post, that one is rather faux.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results