shape
carat
color
clarity

Fashion jewelry for going abroad this summer

DreamingOfDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Hi all, we are going to my hubby's home country in Europe for my son's baptism this summer. Needless to say, it has been delayed 3 years because of the Pandemic.

We will be there for awhile & I would like to take fashion accessories/jewelry that will not be a great loss if I were to lose it. Please give me suggestions as to what makes sense to take. I don't want to be "gawdy" nor draw attention to myself since we will primarily be out & about (not that I'm not out & about in the States as much, just not nearly as much as I am now) I like minimalist, but I like to dress it up every now & then. I do also have small kids that will be with us as well too so...

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I usually recommend coral, instead of pearls, because they're interesting, and they go with everything (depending on colour) and are less classic than pearls. Great with jeans & striped mariner tee, but also great with LBD, as well as a sundress.

Affordable, mostly, and pretty easily replaced. :)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

I had never heard this term until a few months ago here on PS
there are threads
Forgive me if i describe this wrong butbits seems to usually be a minimalistic kind of thing where one invests in a few well chosen timeless pieces that all go together
Alrhough some people have multiple capsules
Im talking about a travel caspule so it would cost a lot less

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
@Daisys and Diamonds is right, the Travel Capsule is a popular idea. Here's some travel jewellery links for you.

Maybe take nothing, and instead build a whole new collection while abroad, For many, collecting artisanal souvenir jewellery is a highlight of any trip; the Grande Tour phenomenon generated incredible artistic achievement and supported thousands of skilled artists.

1652355815888.png

Source: Cooper Hewitt

Rhd3

Shiny_Rock
I sort of have a travel capsule. I have costume versions of my favorites that I wear when I’m traveling or active. I feel like they work with most outfits or occasions but might be boring depending on your personal style.

- 5 mm Asscher CZ studs
- 6.5 mm OEC CZ studs
- 6 mm, 8 mm, and 10 mm glass pearl studs
- sterilizing silver huggies
- sterling silver hoops

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
To me, it depends on a few factors. I have what could be called a travel jewelry capsule, a few mix and match pieces, mostly sterling silver and CZ because they go with anything and can dress up or down.

Since travel is less secure than at home, I agree about not wanting fakes that are too showy. (I've never understood very expensive looking travel jewelry because a big fake diamond ring will attract a mugging or break-in as easily as its authentic counterpart. And that is my worry far beyond any jewelry being taken). I don't want jewelry that I have to worry about, for the most part.

Now to contradict myself, I might re-consider the above depending on the company, the dressy events expected and the security available, such as if I'll have access to a safe. I'm thinking of a cruise I went on with a group, where we all dressed up for dinner each night and I enjoyed the chance to wear all several of my pearl sets. But I had a safe in my cabin and I am not sure most people even recognize pearls as much more than "beads" anyway.

But exceptions like the above aside, I'd take something like this:

Minimum: Pearl stud earrings, real or fake, white or black. Sterling silver wedding band with small CZs.

Possible additions: Silver and CZ hoops. Silver and CZ right hand ring. Small silver and CZ tennis bracelet. Short silver and CZ "diamonds" by the yard necklace.

Then consider the dressy events, your outfits for those, and if the above jewelry will suffice. If not, add in for the gaps. For ex., a pair of fancier, dangly earrings. A necklace that is more showy or goes with the neckline of your dressy outfits better (for ex., a short or long fake pearl strand that goes with the pearl earrings above).

I'd also bring a travel sized container of silver jewelry cleaner because I usually forget to and then I'm sorry. That's one thing that annoys me about the silver and CZ travel jewelry. The cheaper pieces might not be rhodium plated and they tarnish easily. And the CZs easily get dulled too, whether from hand lotion or who knows what. So it's nice to be able to keep it bright and sparkly.

Feel free to show us the travel jewelry capsule you come up with. And have a nice trip. :)

Last edited:

victoriangurl96

Rough_Rock
To me, it depends on a few factors. I have what could be called a travel jewelry capsule, a few mix and match pieces, mostly sterling silver and CZ because they go with anything and can dress up or down.

Since travel is less secure than at home, I agree about not wanting fakes that are too showy. (I've never understood very expensive looking travel jewelry because a big fake diamond ring will attract a mugging or break-in as easily as its authentic counterpart. And that is my worry far beyond any jewelry being taken). I don't want jewelry that I have to worry about, for the most part.

Now to contradict myself, I might re-consider the above depending on the company, the dressy events expected and the security available, such as if I'll have access to a safe. I'm thinking of a cruise I went on with a group, where we all dressed up for dinner each night and I enjoyed the chance to wear all several of my pearl sets. But I had a safe in my cabin and I am not sure most people even recognize pearls as much more than "beads" anyway.

But exceptions like the above aside, I'd take something like this:

Minimum: Pearl stud earrings, real or fake, white or black. Sterling silver wedding band with small CZs.

Possible additions: Silver and CZ hoops. Silver and CZ right hand ring. Small silver and CZ tennis bracelet. Short silver and CZ "diamonds" by the yard necklace.

Then consider the dressy events, your outfits for those, and if the above jewelry will suffice. If not, add in for the gaps. For ex., a pair of fancier, dangly earrings. A necklace that is more showy or goes with the neckline of your dressy outfits better (for ex., a short or long fake pearl strand that goes with the pearl earrings above).

I'd also bring a travel sized container of silver jewelry cleaner because I usually forget to and then I'm sorry. That's one thing that annoys me about the silver and CZ travel jewelry. The cheaper pieces might not be rhodium plated and they tarnish easily. And the CZs easily get dulled too, whether from hand lotion or who knows what. So it's nice to be able to keep it bright and sparkly.

Feel free to show us the travel jewelry capsule you come up with. And have a nice trip. :)

I agree with @seaurchin. For travel abroad, instead of a large cz ring set I would feel safer buying and wearing something like this:

OneKuhlChic

Shiny_Rock

Travel capsules are awesome... Very easy to find templates that can be modified as needed.

I've had a black Tahitian pearl necklace for years, I got a pair of gold hoops & added black Tahitian pearl drops. I'm wearing these when I go to Europe this fall. Maybe I'll get a black Tahitian pearl ring to make a set.

Last edited:

DreamingOfDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Where can I purchase a travel capsule? I'm intrigued by the idea...

You can build your own capsule. I have 3 - one is fashion jewelry (western style) for when I’m travelling to places where I feel uncomfortable with expensive things or for destination weddings, one is Indian costume jewelry (used only for weddings) and one is small/discreet diamond/gold jewelry I use for travel to comparatively safer places.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Go to Amazon and the ”customers most loved” section. Voila — all the five-star silver and gold-filled bling you need.

https://www.amazon.com/s?i=fashion&...sed-search-5&pf_rd_t=30901&ref=cml_skinav_w_4

If I’m traveling for more than a week I do one earring/necklace/bracelet/right hand ring set each in sterling silver and 10k yellow gold or gold-filled. For engagement rings I have some in lab diamonds, although I will usually bring one of the more expensive ones.

I also want to add bands/stacking rings to the list. Can easily be dressed up or down and mixed and matched. They're also relatively compact and low maintenance. Only downside I've found is sometimes they're toooo compact and they'd disposables disappear on me for a while every now and then.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Maybe check out Berricle - they have fun pieces that look pretty convincing, yet are nicely priced for costume.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results