shape
carat
color
clarity

Fashion help requested!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Hey ladies! I have an upcoming event in the next few weeks and would really appreciate getting some fashion feedback to help select the best possible outfit. Under normal circumstances I''d be able to dress myself without too much difficulty, but as they say, the devil''s in the details... and since the details of the event are what''s throwing me for a loop, I''ll give what really seems like TMI but might actually be relevant in your, err, sartorial analysis.

I''ve been invited to attend a wedding at a home in the Hollywood hills (so a non-conservative part of the country) that is likely to be attended by a significant (and older) european contingent in addition to the Los Angelenos. The event begins at 5pm on a Saturday evening (typically an hour/date that indicates a more formal attire, possibly even a longer length dress), but perhaps because the bride is due in a couple of months the method of invitation (phone calls/emails) seems to indicate a lack of old-school formality. From what I understand, it will be a somewhat small event (50 or so people?), so I doubt they''ll be a cadre of men in tuxedos and women in bridesmaid dresses. I don''t know the bride so I can''t make some discreet inquiries of her female attendants. The groom is an easygoing, nice guy; profession-wise, he''s a musician (which may impact your image of clothing choice, but then again, maybe not). From what I understand, at least part of the reason we were invited was to, err, help lower the median age of guests (so dressing young/hip might actually be appreciated?). Weather-wise he temperature is likely to be in the mid to upper 60s until the sun goes down and low 60s/high 50s as the evening progresses; I''m guessing they''ll open parts of the house in addition to the yard/deck so probably bringing a light wrap would make sense.

So what type of dress would you wear? Length (above the knee, cocktail, or long)? Material (evening fabric with a sheen, or a more casual yet nice flowing silk jersey material)? Formality (fitted/tailored or loose/flowy)? Colors? I''m *thinking* that I can have a little more fun than one normally would for a Saturday night wedding.

Anyone out there love to online windowshop and be willing to post links of suggestions or even photos?
1.gif
Thanks in advance for any help, the way I see it, the posters here have been so "on" in their suggestions to others in the threads I''ve read that with your collective help, there''s no way I''ll be led astray.... I''m sooooo looking forward to your suggestions and feedback!

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
I have a few options in my closet that *might* fit the bill, so to get the ball rolling I''ll post some photos. These are not of my actual dresses, but are a quick way to get similar visual options.

Option #1
A halter dress, jersey material. The one in my closet is in a cobalt blue (not black like this one), yet the fit is pretty similar, but is a little bit shorter and comes about 2 inches above the knee.

hillsdress2.jpg

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm...what about something like this? A shawl could make it a little more formal, but the halter is casual - and it''s long, so conservative, but the print is young - and the white/black combo makes it evening-y, but not necessarily cocktail.http://www.anntaylor.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=18509&N=1200284&pCategoryId=2259&categoryId=2260&Ns=CATEGORY_SEQ_2260&showAll=Y&defaultColorNameFromCategory=Black&defaultSizeTypeFromCategory=Misses

This one is a little more conservative, but fun with a pretty color - and the fabric works nice with formal or informal:
http://www.anntaylor.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=19290&N=1200284&pCategoryId=2259&categoryId=2260&Ns=CATEGORY_SEQ_2260&showAll=Y&defaultColorNameFromCategory=Rosette&defaultSizeTypeFromCategory=Misses

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Option #2
Going with a longer dress to match the hour of the event (Saturday night), but a less formal fabric because there are things which indicate lesser formality. The dress in my closet that I''ll call option 2 is similar to this one, though the neckline is actually more "greek goddess", is a darker red, and has a touch of silver woven into the braided straps. But the length/flow is very similar to this one pictured.

hillsdress1.jpg

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
And

Option #3
Basic black dress. Probably the most understated of the bunch. Since my favorite dress at the Oscars last week was Marisa Tomei''s amazingly pleated one-shoulder dress, the one in my closet I''d most likely pull out is a fitted one-shoulder number similar to this one. It is snug yet structured, and hits an inch or two below the knee. It''s the most socially conservative number, but perhaps I should allow myself to wear something more fun?

hillsdress3.jpg

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I vote one or 3. I'd probably wear 3. Cute!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/26/2009 4:23:36 PM
Author: Ellen
I vote one or 3. I''d probably wear 3. Cute!
Ditto three!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I''m not up on all the dos and don''ts of dressing for a wedding like this, but I love dress number 3!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 4:25:55 PM
Author: Lorelei

Ditto three!
lol I just realised I spelled one number but not the other.
20.gif
9.gif

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
I would look for something with an asymetrical hemline that falls below the knee but isn''t floor length. I''m imagining something with a fun pattern in bright colors with maybe multiple layers being all flowy at the bottom.

portia

Brilliant_Rock
Definitely #3!! I'm a less is more kinda girl and I think dress #3 is modern, elegant and very 'now' with the one-shoulder strap. And you can definitely kick it up a bit with accessories and statement jewelry if you want to.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 4:25:55 PM

Ditto three!

Thritto that is a cute dress :)

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Deelight, Ellen, Lorelei, Elrohwen, Sabine, and Portia, thank you for your feedback; and Elmorton, you are the best for adding some links right off the bat. (That second dress is soooo cute. It might be perfect for another wedding I have later in the month.) I can''t believe it''s unanimous. (!) Number 3 it is-- LBD wins another round. I truly appreciate each of you for taking the time to weigh in, thank you, you ladies are so wonderful!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
I''d go with 3, it looks very sophiticated and classy but still sexy. Plus it looks like something you could easily wear again.

Burk

Ideal_Rock
Another vote for number three! I love it!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad you chose 3#, it will look so elegant!!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2009 4:58:29 AM
Glad you chose 3#, it will look so elegant!!

Ditto, the dress is faboo :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results