clarity

Fascinating ...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Guess what is in this old trunk.

hqRuADZw4f4JyriCLixcZJ-970-80.jpg

SNIP:
More than 600 years ago, someone intricately folded, sealed and posted a letter that was never delivered. Now, scientists have digitally "unfolded" this and other similarly locked letters found in a 17th-century trunk in The Hague, using X-rays.

For centuries prior to the invention of sealed envelopes, sensitive correspondence was protected from prying eyes through complex folding techniques called "letterlocking," which transformed a letter into its own secure envelope. However, locked letters that survive to the present are fragile and can be opened physically only by slicing them to pieces.

The new X-ray method offers researchers a non-invasive alternative, maintaining a letterpacket's original folded shape. For the first time, scientists applied this method to "locked" letters from the Renaissance period, kept in a trunk that had been in the collection of the Dutch postal museum in The Hague, The Netherlands, since 1926.

The trunk's contents include more than 3,100 undelivered letters, of which 577 were unopened and letterlocked. Known as the Brienne Collection, the letters were written in Dutch, English, French, Italian, Latin and Spanish. For unknown reasons, once the missives reached The Hague they were never delivered to their intended recipients, and were instead kept by a postmaster named Simon de Brienne, Live Science previously reported.

Locked letters used different mechanisms to stay securely closed, including folds and rolls; slits and holes; tucks and adhesives; and a variety of cleverly constructed locks, according to a study published online March 2 in the journal Nature Communications.

The full story: https://www.livescience.com/sealed-renaissance-letter-virtually-unfolded.html

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
strange but way kewl.

Made in London

Brilliant_Rock
How fascinating! I love anything like that=)2

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just read about this. I can't help but feel that a regular envelope, sealing wax and a stamp would be much easier than an origami envelope.

GeorgieQ

Brilliant_Rock
Wow :shock: How amazing is that, both from a historical context and our incredible modern day technology! I can't even remember how to make a chatterbox so I reckon I would of been hopeless at a locked letter back in the day!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results