shape
carat
color
clarity

Fascinating & Horrifying NPR Opinion piece on ...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just used my phone while out to replace a high beam bulb that must have gone out yesterday. Found the part #, found which store was closest to me that had it in stock, went to store and found it easily, watched a YouTube tutorial on how to change it out, and done. Back on the road. Only person I had to deal with was the cool lady at AutoZone who rang me up.

Nice going Monnie! That is putting technology and smart phone use to work for *you*.:appl:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I refused a cell phone for many years, until DH insisted we get flip phones in 2013.
Then in 2015, he switched our flip phones for smart phones.
I wasn't crazy about any of this, but because I travel for work, and my boss likes to call and text, I kinda need it now.

But we do not have unlimited data, so I try to curb my usage.

The smart phone is good for researching an antique or vintage item right in the thrift store, so you know whether to take a chance or not!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the 80's I would travel to Hong Kong on business and see the occasional person talking on a cell phone and thinking "Yikes". I couldn't imagine something so important that I couldn't wait to get to a phone or someone couldn't just leave a message on my answering machine for. Likewise, when my company did a trial "work from home" pilot in the 90's, the first to volunteer were work-from-home mothers...and many dropped because they found it interfered with family time more than it helped. But alas that is what the world has become along with the expectations that go with it.

The smartphone didn't create but extends a lot of the downside (and upside) of the internet and cell phones by joining the technologies. I think the real problem is when people let on-line communications/interactions with virtual strangers become their reality or priority -or- use it to justify their perspectives/sense of self without looking at it from all sides....something I see too often and worries me about where the world is going.

For me, and yes I am a dinosaur now, it's no longer enjoyable and I've taken a step back. I was way more active back on my Sidekick (my first smartphone making me somewhat an early adopter) than I am now. I still do more surfing than I should but less than I once did...smartphones have actually freed me from sitting at a computer. I like having information at my fingertips and up-to-date news but I take what I read with a grain of salt. I post for fun and because smartphones are harder to type on (fingernails), the urge to instantly respond unless necessary is gone. I don't believe it makes me social apathetic - I'd just rather not sit there trying to be convinced by or convincing people who's opinions I don't value or vice versa.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lyra, we keep our landline for our alarm system. It is a good way to screen calls when you don't want people to have your cell #. I rarely answer it, except when someone in the family calls. I often leave my cell in my purse and don't hear it ring when I am not right next to it. The family will call and wait for the message to pic up and yell at me to get the phone, LOL

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@luv2sparkle, ATM our landline is not even set to answer. We had to take it off so a particular fax would go through 2 weeks ago, and DH never set it back up. I have no idea how to do it, it's some sort of code number, lol. I never answer it, but I would listen to messages.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I definitely plan on keeping both our landlines. I don't like chatting on a mobile phone and also prefer having a (real not internet based) landline for just in case circumstances too. Anyone who knows me knows to call on my landline and if I am not there to text me and I will let them know when I can chat on the landline. I guess that is combining old school with new school. Making it work for me. Not the other way around.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve had a mobile phone since the early ‘90s when they were practically the size of a house brick! I used to have to go to meetings in the evenings and it was really for ‘just in case’. I have a smart phone, which is switched on when I’m out of the house, but the minute I get inside, it’s switched off.

I’ve had a computer since the late ‘80s early 90s, and an ipad since they came out.

I Skype my friend in the US every Sunday, IM my son regularly, and another friend who I’ve known for years.

I didn’t join FB for years, I only use it for contact with my dogs breed specific friends.

I wouldn’t say I’m addicted, I enjoy the contact it enables me to have with people in different parts of the world without the expensive phone calls.

My DH just has a dumb phone and wouldn’t know how to use a smartphone!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results