shape
carat
color
clarity

Fany Intense Yellow diamond , is it a steal

cactus88

Rough_Rock
I am eying some fancy color diamond and hunting down this one, is this a great price? I am tempting to pull the trigger

Pear shape,
1.01 carat
Fancy intense yellow,
VS2 clarity.
Polish GOOD
Symmetry GOOD
GIA certificate

$5800

is this a steal? good deal? Opinion please!!!!!!!!!!!

Is clarity for fancy color diamond big difference? like from VS2 to SI1..20% difference?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi,
When evaluating Fancy Intense Yellow Diamonds we need to assess the color, and it's relationship to the stones brilliancy and life.
In general florescence has a far greater effect on price than the difference between VS2 and SI1- and I notice that's not in your post

cactus88

Rough_Rock
Rockdiamond|1405868195|3717042 said:
Hi,
When evaluating Fancy Intense Yellow Diamonds we need to assess the color, and it's relationship to the stones brilliancy and life.
In general florescence has a far greater effect on price than the difference between VS2 and SI1- and I notice that's not in your post

Thanks for reply

Fluoscene is medium

I am requesting more pictures

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Pictures may assist you in selecting- but that's really not a guarantee- certain vital aspects of a Fancy Colored Diamond are extremely difficult to capture accurately- but yes, pictures will help us here a bit.
It's not possible to asses any specific diamond without being able to examine it fist hand- having said that, $5800 for a one carat intense yellow, GIA graded is certainly NOT the top of the market in terms of price.

cactus88

Rough_Rock
Rockdiamond|1405872267|3717079 said:
Pictures may assist you in selecting- but that's really not a guarantee- certain vital aspects of a Fancy Colored Diamond are extremely difficult to capture accurately- but yes, pictures will help us here a bit.
It's not possible to asses any specific diamond without being able to examine it fist hand- having said that, $5800 for a one carat intense yellow, GIA graded is certainly NOT the top of the market in terms of price.

Thanks a lot Rockdiamond for your response.

In terms of price , it is not pricy but not a steal for sure before seeing the pic?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Cactus- I can tell you that at least 50% of the Fancy Intense Yellow diamonds ( GIA graded) I see, would not purchase for any price.
A large percentage of the horrible ones also will look bad in a photo- but sill, make sure you get a money back guarantee no matter what when purchasing any diamond, let alone a fancy color.
Before seeing a photo we haven't a clue what you're looking at- of it it's worth a shot.

cactus88

Rough_Rock
Rockdiamond|1405874260|3717099 said:
Cactus- I can tell you that at least 50% of the Fancy Intense Yellow diamonds ( GIA graded) I see, would not purchase for any price.
A large percentage of the horrible ones also will look bad in a photo- but sill, make sure you get a money back guarantee no matter what when purchasing any diamond, let alone a fancy color.
Before seeing a photo we haven't a clue what you're looking at- of it it's worth a shot.

Thanks a lot Rockdiamond.

I am newbie in colored diamonds. Thanks for advice, I will make sure I go through their return policy and have me on safe side regarding returning

Still waiting for pictures requested from vendor..will be posted once got it

cactus88

Rough_Rock
I also scored some colored diamonds from Rockdiamonds's website.

Any one would suggest the following diamonds from rockdiamonds?

1. cushion, 1.02,fancy yellow

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-yellow-diamond-102ct-fancy-yellow-vs1-cushion-cut-fabulous-stone-r5221

or

2. pear, 1.01ct, fancy intense yellow

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-yellow-diamond-101ct-fancy-intense-yellow-si1-pear-shape-gia-lovely-shape-r5701

I like the #2's color, but it is lower clarity. I was expecting some colored diamonds with at least VS2 clarity. is clarity important in colored diamond?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Neither. All the ones I liked best were already sold on DBL. Ask David to source something for you.

The pear a bowtie that looks like it's lighter than the rest of the stone. And the cushion is not impressive at the edges.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

cactus88

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1405921319|3717398 said:

Thanks a lot .. I like the pear one..but if it is fancy yellow would be great..not sure if it would be too light ?

cactus88

Rough_Rock
Finally got picture..I will try to request more..just takes time i guess..

rs-247_14_copy.jpg

ofiy-247.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dont like that pear you just posted. Don't like the color or the faceting pattern. I do like cushion that Rockdiamond
Has. (Diamonds by Lauren)

cactus88

Rough_Rock
tyty333|1405949116|3717545 said:
I dont like that pear you just posted. Don't like the color or the faceting pattern. I do like cushion that Rockdiamond
Has. (Diamonds by Lauren)

Thanks for the comments. I compared two, the one just posted looks more saturated to me in color from my eyes. The rockdiamond one is great but is it lighter compared to this one?

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since I am still learning about fancy colored diamonds I would like David's professional opinion on all three diamonds if it is not against forum rules.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
I am not a colored diamond expertly any stretch. I'm just wondering about that circular/oval rainbow effect near the center of the pear in the 1st picture? What is that?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Everyone,
I will be glad to make some general comments and clarifications...
starryeyed said:
I am not a colored diamond expertly any stretch. I'm just wondering about that circular/oval rainbow effect near the center of the pear in the 1st picture? What is that?

That's the plastic cover of the box in which the diamond is sitting causing distortions of the light.

Gypsy had a good comment about cut:
Gypsy said:
snip....

The pear a bowtie that looks like it's lighter than the rest of the stone. And the cushion is not impressive at the edges.

This is at the crux of many discussions here about cut.
If you can gain some contrast, yet loose some light at the edges of the stone, is that a good compromise?
A bowtie may not be all that bad- in fact, it might offer some beautiful contrast. Yet a stone cut more like a fancy colored cushion for example, will have less contrast, but a more even color.
What is more desirable- contrast or color?
At times I find the answer to be contrast, and other times, even color.

But I will say that often times a stone loosing light at the edges in a picture makes up for it once you put it in motion.
As we all know, a proper assessment can't be made from photos.
The pear shape pictures does look a bit "chubby"- a look that can be very nice, depending on the style of ring one wants- as well as finger shape.
Such stones will look a bit smaller than a longer, more drawn out pear shape.
Generally speaking the market places a higher value in the larger looking pear shapes.
Doesn't make them better, but can help explain a lower than average price on an Intense Yellow

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results