shape
carat
color
clarity

Fancy yellow marquise help

ribeye

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I am a newbie here. I want to buy a fancy yellow marquise, and after a long search have narrowed my selection down to 2 stones. Which one would you choose?

Stone 1:
Fancy Yellow
1.15 carat
SI1
Polish: good
Symmetry: good
Fluor: none
Girdle: thin-extremely thick
Measurement: 8.93 x 5.18 x 3.62

Stone 2:
Fancy Intense Yellow
1.00 carat
SI1
Polish: very good
Symmetry: good
Fluor: medium blue
Girdle: slightly thick-extremely thick
Measurement: 8.88 x 4.51 x 3.45

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
With fancy shapes, it's impossible to give an opinion without seeing photos. Can you post them?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI Ribeye,
There's no way on earth to answer that question without more information.
Photos are a great asset when trying to make this type of decision.

The stats mean nothing at all. I mean, they have some meaning, but it's no help whatsoever in your position.

Do you like a deeper or lighter yellow? Do you like a fat marquise or a thinner one?
Does a bow-tie bother you?

These are things that only photos, and a trusted vendor who's looking at the diamond can answer.
Or, if you can see it in person.

ribeye

Rough_Rock
Unfortunately I don't have any photo's of the stones :cry:

Personally I would prefer a medium yellow, so my first choice was stone stone 1 because the other had a more intense color. And because of the blue fluor in stone 2, I was afraid it will look a bit green. But I would like a thinner marquise, and based on the measurements stone 2 was more thinner. Seems like I really have to see them in person to make a decision between the two of them.

Since I am living in the Netherlands, it will be difficult to order from online vendors, so I am planning get my stones in Antwerp. I have made an appointment with Rob van Beurden of Diamondhouse. His name mentioned a few times on the forum for people living in/near Belgium (he is also a dealer of Paul's Infinity diamonds), so I am convinced he will select great stones to choose from. I am so excited to see the stones now! :twirl:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is not enough information for me to make a call.
I've bought around 20 FCDs and have learned your really should see them live.

If your vendor has a return policy do you have the cash or credit to buy both, spend a few days with them and return one?

That's the best way.

If not can your vendor ship both of them to a trusted jeweler or appraiser or secure broker near you?

ribeye

Rough_Rock
Kenny I have seen your FCD collection, and I loooooooove it :love:

I will go to Rob's office in Antwerp tomorrow, and he will have both stones shipped over so I can see them in person. The only thing I am afraid of is that they will be too big for my taste. I prefer smaller stones, and initially searched for a marquise of around 0.7 carat, but a yellow marquise of that size was not easy to find over here. I was also told that Antwerp's diamond industry's holiday season starts next week. If both stones are not what I'm looking for, that means I will have to wait for a while before he can find another diamond fitting my wishes...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ribeye|1311719372|2977396 said:
Kenny I have seen your FCD collection, and I loooooooove it :love:

I will go to Rob's office in Antwerp tomorrow, and he will have both stones shipped over so I can see them in person. The only thing I am afraid of is that they will be too big for my taste. I prefer smaller stones, and initially searched for a marquise of around 0.7 carat, but a yellow marquise of that size was not easy to find over here. I was also told that Antwerp's diamond industry's holiday season starts next week. If both stones are not what I'm looking for, that means I will have to wait for a while before he can find another diamond fitting my wishes...

Thank you Ribeye.
That's very kind of you.

WONDERFUL! Seeing both live is the BEST way to compare!!!
Be sure to move them around the room into different lighting.
Look out for bowtie and windowing.

Since you are worried about getting a diamond that is too big for your taste I do hope you know that marquise looks larger for the weight than any other cut.

Take your time and don't settle for something that's not just right.
Diamonds can be shipped in a couple days from anywhere in the world.

Also keep in mind marquise cut was all the rage 50 years ago so good deals may be found on the vintage market.

Best of luck to you and be sure to come back and show us pics. :love: :love: :love:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ribeye- you mentioned you are in the Netherlands- by all means you can also have diamonds sent in from vendors in other countries.

As mentioned, it's a great idea to look at stones in person- but I don;t think you're handcuffed to buying from a company you can visit.

ribeye

Rough_Rock
Kenny: I will make sure to compare them as best as possible, hopefully one of them is the diamond I'm looking for. If they are really too big, I will have them sent back and wait for the right stone to come across my pad. Sure will upload photo's when I have the ring!

Rockdiamond: I have thought about ordering online too, but if I order online, I will have to pay import duties and also 19% tax on top of the price for the diamond. But it will still be cheaper than buying in the Netherlands. A few days ago I saw a 0.47 IGI certified G SI1 RB solitair ring in a jewelry store, and the price was € 4750,- (around USD 6890) :shock: If Rob can't find me a stone I like, I will consider buying online as a second option.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results