shape
carat
color
clarity

Fancy purplish pink pear 0.48ct but I3 clarity

ninaluna

Rough_Rock
Hello, my boyfriend bought this 0.48 ct pear diamond (fancy purplish pink) for 3800 dollars. It's for engagement ring and the total budget is around 5000 dollars.

https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/image/medium/Pear/GIA-Certified-0-48-Carat-Fancy-Purplish-Pink-Color--Clarity-Diamond-R1R991.jpg

https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/P48-R1R991

GIA-2175312868

6.36 x 4.02 x 2.61 mm

ratio: 1.582

Although GIA didn't list the clarity, I saw it on other website that it was I3. I haven't seen the diamond in person but the inclusion is visible in the photo as well and I am worried if it's a good buy or not...I liked the color but I wasn't sure if I wanted this diamond, but my boyfriend already ordered it online. (also my boyfriend doesn't know that I know that he bought this diamond)

I was also eyeing this diamond.

http://www.reddiam.com/diamonds_in.aspx?id=22103

1960 dollars for 0.56 fancy light pink I1, which is cheaper option and little bit more carat.

Which would be a better buy????Any opinions/suggestions for other diamonds too would be appreciated. Thanks.

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock
Ninaluna,

TBH I'm not sure what kind of advice you are asking for. If your boyfriend doesn't know that you know, what can you possibly do about this situation?

As for the diamond, the picture is awful and it's hard to tell what those black marks are so I don't have much to say about its quality, but do wait for other, more expert PSers to chime in.

Good luck!

ETA:

I just saw that you list another diamond as a second option, but the picture is also terrible and so the stone is (for me) very difficult to evaluate.

ninaluna

Rough_Rock
Hi, sorry I was editing the post. I was asking if it's a good buy for this quality/color. But yes you are right, the picture is awful. I wish I would have seen the diamond in person and buy it but that wasn't possible. :( If this isn't a good buy I will let my boyfriend know that this isn't a good buy. I was gonna keep quiet about that I know he bought this diamond but if it's not a good buy, then I'll have him return the diamond (I know he wouldn't mind).

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock
NVM the second picture is much better than the first. But honestly I don't like this second option at all: the inclusions are super visible and the faceting is a mess.

Are you absolutely set on a coloured diamond?

ninaluna

Rough_Rock
I see. Yes I am set on pink diamond. I don't mind if it's a lighter color though with better clarity. Thanks for the reply :)

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock
Ok so you're sure that your boyfriend won't be devastated if you get him to return the first stone (which I would not commit to without seeing in-person first!)? In that case, take a look at Diamonds by Lauren. This isn't quite as pink as your original stone and brown in some lighting it seems, but the faceting is nice and the inclusions aren't nearly as obvious:

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-diamond-55ct-fancy-pink-brown-i1-pear-shape-diamond-gia-r6473

There's also a really sweet option on JbG (who is a very trusted vendor on PS - I am getting my ring from her). It's not a pear but it is pink, in budget and lovely. FWIW I would go with this:

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/59ct-light-fancy-pink-diamond-halo-ring-by-leibish-gia#.V3xVXlfYklY

ninaluna

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for the great options! :D He has 30 days return and I will hint at him first that I don't want visibly included diamond...Hopefully he will get it, if not I will have to tell him the truth. I would rather tell him now than getting disappointed when I get the actual ring. Thanks!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would tell him you do not want lower than GIA SI2 clarity, seriously. He shouldn't try to surprise you with a colored diamond that he didn't even know the clarity. You have to be honest with him and tell him you think you will have to search for the stone together. I3 means there is a very visible inclusion, and it looks like a huge black one! It would be better to cancel this order than have them send it to you just to send back.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh I just wrote a long detailed post but lost it :angryfire:

Long story short is I'd recommend going with Diamonds by Lauren if possible, since they are a great vendor of colored diamonds. They have some full ring options as well as loose stone options in your budget.

Here are some loose stones that look gorgeous (IMHO):

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-pink-cushion-41ct-fancy-pinkish-brown-si2-cushion-cut-gia-beautiful-cut-r4819
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-brown-diamond-45ct-fancy-pink-brown-vs1-princess-cut-diamond-gia-r6984
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-pink-diamond-50ct-faint-pink-vs1-pear-shape-diamond-gia-r6674
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-diamond-55ct-fancy-pink-brown-i1-pear-shape-diamond-gia-r6473

And here are some rings that utilize pink diamonds in your budget (don't know if you'd consider a halo of pink diamonds).

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-yellow-diamond-66ct-fancy-light-yellow-internally-flawless-cushion-cut-gia-r5773
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/diamond-ring-22ct-d-vs1-pear-shape-pink-diamond-halo-ring-gia-r6071
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-yellow-diamond-66ct-fancy-light-yellow-internally-flawless-cushion-cut-gia-r5773
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-yellow-diamond-77ct-fancy-yellow-vvs2-heart-shape-gia-beautiful-shape-r5204

Their website has more stuff as well, and it's easy to search for only pink diamonds and set your upper limit in terms of budget. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

EDIT: looks like Fulvia and I were posting at the same time (as I was re-writing). Sorry for the double advice!

ninaluna

Rough_Rock
lovedogs, thank you so much for the listing! I will send my boyfriend an email and the link. :)

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1467767126|4051837 said:
Fulvia|1467766390|4051828 said:
I'd still go with the Leibish at JbG.

Fantastic find, Fulvia! (the Leibish at Jewels by Grace)

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/59ct-light-fancy-pink-diamond-halo-ring-by-leibish-gia#.V3xZDPkrLIV

(Gosh, it is I1. Ugh.)

Ya I saw that. The report does say it's eye clean, but I'm with you on being cautious.

I think the moral of the story here is that 5K for a quality pink diamond with setting is too low of a budget.

ninaluna

Rough_Rock
I honestly don't mind I1 as long as it's eye clean. SI2 or SI1 would be better but I know it's hard to come by especially with pink diamonds. :) (especially with my budget)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All I can say is be careful. Because an I1 can have visible inclusions, and it also can have a huge feather (crack) that might be harder to see, but much more dangerous.

ninaluna

Rough_Rock
Does the feather makes diamond more prone to break? :o I thought it would be more of a visual thing rather than the structural thing...I wasn't thinking :wall:

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock
Oh yes, it's a structural thing! Feathers make diamonds very prone to cracking.

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
just a thought... have you considered a pink sapphire instead of a pink diamond? :wavey:

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Clarity is about how clear a diamond is. I used to be the most paranoid here about feathers and breakage until I found out it was just marketing to get you to spend more money. A diamond which will break will have outside shards and you would not buy it anyway. A diamond of all clarity grades can break due to its crystal direction. I walked into a city family owned high class jeweller once years ago now and they were speaking about someone coming in because her 1 carat plus diamond had broken, as I overheard I asked the lady assistant had it had a flaw such as a crystal or feather/crack and the owner replied and he said it would be due to the growth of the crystal and not because of a flaw. I said is that cleavage as I knew from this board and he said yes, and she would have knocked it into something hard.

I notice coloured diamonds are expensive and to get any size or color you really need to go to I1 at least unless going for melee size or you are very rich. Colour and size is everything when picking a coloured diamond and yellow is the most affordable.

When coloured gemstones such as sapphire are graded for clarity loupes are not used and only the naked eye, so clarity in diamond is all about how clear the stone is as you have said. Clarity is an important value in rarity but that is all.

See how many lower clarity diamonds are sold if breakage was an issue we would know about it, yet we hardly hear someone has broken their diamond, only that they have chipped it and this is due to cleavage. If you like I3 size and coloured then look at the stone with commonsense and think would this stone break, you would know if it would. Due to clarity clearness I would probably go for SI1 to I1 though in a coloured stone when balancing things out unless wowed by color which is the most important even above size a bit for me.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To see the best examples of coloured diamonds look at Kenny s posts, he has the most beautiful colors although not all big diamonds a lot more beautiful than most of the big ones you will see unless in a museum. I love Kenny's and that has ruined me as I would like a pink and last time I looked on Leibish the nearest was a 0.19 stone for something like $16,000 and I could not fathom that for such a small stone, I don't like yellow as much so I decided no coloured diamonds for me. Only wish I loved the lighter pinks.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
An I1 is not a dealbreaker for me in coloured diamonds unless the inclusions are lumped together to be visible or is a single large inclusion or a dark inclusion. I have seen many gorgeous eye clean FCDs that are graded as I1 in rings.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1467806743|4052004 said:
An I1 is not a dealbreaker for me in coloured diamonds unless the inclusions are lumped together to be visible or is a single large inclusion or a dark inclusion. I have seen many gorgeous eye clean FCDs that are graded as I1 in rings.

I agree with this

I'm obviously not an expert but I just don't think that JbG stone is in danger of cracking or crumbling…I understand some people would never want an I1 stone and that's cool, but sometimes to stay in a certain budget something has to give a little and pink diamonds are expensive. IMO the JbG ring has potential, The diamond looks clean to me and the setting looks to be nice quality, and seems like a reasonable price to me. David Atlas's appraisal says it's eye -clean.

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock
Can I offer a different suggestion here? I'm assuming you want a pink stone right, light or not. And with a budget of 3800 for center stone, there's not much of a selection out there. I suggest for you to look for light brown diamond with pinkish tone. That's right the GIA grade would be something like U-V light brown. No pink in the grade. But it looks pinkish in some lighting. I had a 2 carats light brown ring that was gorgeous, looked pink in a lot of lighting environment. AND most importantly it didn't break the bank!

acebruingroup04.jpg

ninaluna

Rough_Rock
aca I actually have, but the ones that I liked (pale pink sapphires) were actually more expensive :(

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
ninaluna|1467903677|4052546 said:
aca I actually have, but the ones that I liked (pale pink sapphires) were actually more expensive :(

:errrr: :confused:

Obviously not very helpful advice from me then, sorry. :???:

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I really like that sapphire. It's really lovely!

I also like a few of the pears at DBL. They have a couple of options that would be in budget, but if you want a larger stone I would look into sapphires! The colored-stone gurus on this forum are great at hunting down amazing stones.

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think that ring by Grace is your best option for a pink diamond. I almost bought it myself, but, well, things didn't work out. You can ask her if it is eye clean, and she has a ton of videos. Personally, I don't care for the setting. I think it would show more color in rose gold with a pink diamond halo, but that's just my personal preference.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
leukolenos|1467905904|4052567 said:
I really like that sapphire. It's really lovely!

I also like a few of the pears at DBL. They have a couple of options that would be in budget, but if you want a larger stone I would look into sapphires! The colored-stone gurus on this forum are great at hunting down amazing stones.

I agree with this--if sapphire is at all a possibility let the CS forum help :) But I understand if you feel strongly about having a pink diamond. I agree with others that I1 wouldn't be a deal breaker for me in colored diamonds, but would (of course) depend on the type/look of the inclusions. I think DBL might be your best bet here, and the ring with Grace is gorgeous as well.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Many colored diamonds, pinks in particular, tend to be more included, which in many cases does not detract from their beauty at all. Being a huge fan myself, I personally own some SI2/I1 fancy colors that are completely eye clean. Strong saturation/body color can also help hide many inclusions. Not saying I recommend the lowest clarity grades though. Those will rarely be eye clean. I cannot comment on any particular stones you are planning to purchase but I think that the members here have given some great advice. I am sure you will end up with a unique beauty at the end. Good luck on your engagement and this exciting project.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results