shape
carat
color
clarity

Fancy Light Yellow--- Fancy or Cape???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
what''s the hit rate
Date: 8/12/2007 3:55:22 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

Date: 8/12/2007 8:39:06 AM
Author: DiaGem

Date: 8/12/2007 4:41:57 AM
Can I charge you by the hour DG?
30C top
35P middle
steep deep at the bottom
Can ''I'' charge you?
31.gif

J.Kidding..., don''t blow...

Garry..., I must admit I am impressed...
36.gif

I am not certain if this virtuality can be translated to reality...
As I said before..., there are some factors ''during'' the whole process of taking a rough Diamond and transforming it to a polished Diamond
in which I am certain that the technical part does not take into account. (as of yet!!!) Especially in Fancy Colored Diamonds!!!
But maybe I am mistaking.
It is rather funny DG, that when Sergey said he could make a scanner that could plot and allocate inclusions, most people in the trade said the same things. It is worth remebering that behind this technology there are some brilliant minds.

Why don''t I see/hear or know anyone that uses this type of devices?

This is not a virtuality, it is a reality that uses virtual imaging and ray tracing. Sergey has developed the most advanced devices for transforming rough diamonds into polished, and he has more huge advances coming down the highway.

so if there is some part you are not certain about, ask away, online or offline if someone will kill you
12.gif
Garry, what''s the hit rate on the fancy shaped yield estimations?
Sarin and Ogi are "not" an example...

Thanks,

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/9/2007 12:34:29 AM
Author: :)
Great topic DG! And Garry, of COURSE we would like to see the article posted in the PS Journal.

Didn''t Garry post a pic of a RB M that when recut to a radiant was a gorgeous fancy yellow?

DG, the brillianteering on the pavillion for the purpose of making more uniform color - is this done on colored RBs or other shapes?
Sorry :)..., I just noticed that I never answered you...

The lighter the color shade..., the more reason to limit contrast by painting...
Usually cutters wont cut an RB from light yellow material..., why would you if you can get a FLY in an other shape cut to this purpose?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
DiaGem you do not sleep much do you?

Date: 8/12/2007 4:44:20 PM
what''s the hit rate

It is rather funny DG, that when Sergey said he could make a scanner that could plot and allocate inclusions, most people in the trade said the same things. It is worth remebering that behind this technology there are some brilliant minds.

Why don''t I see/hear or know anyone that uses this type of devices? it is very early days DG, and as you know I am sure 1. clients will not let us use there names publicly, 2. they will not tell anyone.
We only work with less than a dozen firms at one time with this color software anyway.

This is not a virtuality, it is a reality that uses virtual imaging and ray tracing. Sergey has developed the most advanced devices for transforming rough diamonds into polished, and he has more huge advances coming down the highway.

so if there is some part you are not certain about, ask away, online or offline if someone will kill you
12.gif
Garry, what''s the hit rate on the fancy shaped yield estimations? This is a question more about Helium Rough - because anyone who wants to work with DiamCalcColor can use whatever scanner they choose - the software is not scanner dependant.

Sarin and Ogi are ''not'' an example...

So the answer to your Helium question is not so easy - it depends on who is using the scanners and clarity marking system and what they consider a ''hit'' and a ''miss''. for example some companies are using split clarity grades - VS1+, VS1, VS1-,....etc because the system allows for the effect of reflections and shade and type of inclusions - and even cloud zones. All I can say is every client who oredered one system has come back for more as soon as they have enough trained staff. Unfortunately there is only rough support for Indai and Africa at present (color can be done anywhere).

Thanks,

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Garry..., Can I take a rough Diamond..., feed/scan it into the system..., plan a faceting structure/arrangement on a any type of novel shape?
Now..., the shape and faceting structure I am talking about is by-no-means considered standard in this industry... on the contrary...

Can I get an exact vision on how it will look? Yield of the rough? etc...etc?

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/13/2007 12:43:16 AM
Garry..., Can I take a rough Diamond..., feed/scan it into the system..., plan a faceting structure/arrangement on a any type of novel shape?
Now..., the shape and faceting structure I am talking about is by-no-means considered standard in this industry... on the contrary...

Diagem,

please see Process Flow http://octonus.com/oct/projects/fancycolor-9.phtml

If you have please read whole our report from GIA Symposium Fancy-Color Diamonds: Better Color Appearance by Optimizing Cut

it could be interesting for you too http://octonus.com/oct/products/pacor/gallery/
http://www.lexus-com.com/lexusnew/Product/Productd/Allocation&Planning/M-Box.htm
current projects usually is more complex

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/13/2007 1:28:04 AM
Author: Serg

Diagem,

If you have please read whole our report from GIA Symposium Fancy-Color Diamonds: Better Color Appearance by Optimizing Cut

it could be interesting for you too http://octonus.com/oct/products/pacor/gallery/
http://www.lexus-com.com/lexusnew/Product/Productd/Allocation&Planning/M-Box.htm
Sergey,

Are there other options than what I read?

"Possibility to work with the main diamond cut styles: Brilliant, Oval, Marquise, Pear, Princess, Baguette, Happy-8, Emerald, Flanders and Heart."

"Cut Designer builds variable models"

My main question..., Can I simulate non-standard shapes and faceting structures?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
what''s the hit rate

My mistake DiaGem, I answeed the wrong question before - I was still on the color software theme. Octonus and their agent Lexus have many clients already for inclusion and allocation software and Pacor, Helium Rough and the MBox systems. I probably should not name them here, and i only link off this site to educational information. But feel free to visit OctoNus''s site and see About Company>Customers.

Re your enquiry anout entering new cuts - yes you can - DC3 lets you actually design any cut shape so that the new cut can have its parameters varied and you can do what I have been doing with this oval. DC and the scanners of course are fully compatible, so we think consumers should soon have many better looking diamonds to choose from
36.gif

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/13/2007 3:32:47 AM

Date: 8/13/2007 1:28:04 AM

Diagem,

Sergey,

Are there other options than what I read?

''Possibility to work with the main diamond cut styles: Brilliant, Oval, Marquise, Pear, Princess, Baguette, Happy-8, Emerald, Flanders and Heart.''

Yes.
1)We have external Dll cuts( 10+ cuts).
http://octonus.com/oct/products/pacor/client/cut.phtml
2) ANy good software developer can create Dll cut http://octonus.com/oct/download/dll_download.phtml
3) for ASCII cuts ( from Gemcad) you can change heights ( Pavilion, Crown, Girdle)
4) Diamcalc 3.0 Cut designer

''Cut Designer builds variable models''

My main question..., Can I simulate non-standard shapes and faceting structures?

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/13/2007 3:56:26 AM

what''s the hit rate

My mistake DiaGem, I answeed the wrong question before - I was still on the color software theme. Octonus and their agent Lexus have many clients already for inclusion and allocation software and Pacor, Helium Rough and the MBox systems. I probably should not name them here, and i only link off this site to educational information. But feel free to visit OctoNus''s site and see About Company>Customers.

Re your enquiry anout entering new cuts - yes you can - DC3 lets you actually design any cut shape so that the new cut can have its parameters varied and you can do what I have been doing with this oval. DC and the scanners of course are fully compatible, so we think consumers should soon have many better looking diamonds to choose from
36.gif

re: actually design any cut shape

I am not sure about any cut.

before end 2007 we have goal give instruments to create Any convex cut ( with flat facets )
See examples what you can do now in documentation pages 48-66

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Diagem
+ you can download and work with DXF( AutoDesk) , STL, srn(Sarin) , files.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/13/2007 4:12:00 AM

what''s the hit rate

36.gif

before end 2007 we have goal give instruments to create Any convex cut ( with flat facets )
Sergey,

Firstly..., I want to compliment you on the work!!!

According to what I read..., its very limited when it comes to speciality innovative type cuts, shapes and faceting options...

Now..., another comment I foresee is; the faceting tool is nice and user-friendly on paper or virtual faceting...
But I am sceptic as to adapting 100% of this tool into the Diamond material itself...

When cutting a Diamond real-time..., its impossible to use the method shown on DC...
My question is..., can you apply all faceting possibilities onto the realistic Diamond material itself?

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/13/2007 7:34:53 AM

what''s the hit rate

36.gif

Sergey,

According to what I read..., its very limited when it comes to speciality innovative type cuts, shapes and faceting options...

Diagem,

Could you give real example such limitations?

Now..., another comment I foresee is; the faceting tool is nice and user-friendly on paper or virtual faceting...
But I am sceptic as to adapting 100% of this tool into the Diamond material itself...

When cutting a Diamond real-time..., its impossible to use the method shown on DC...
My question is..., can you apply all faceting possibilities onto the realistic Diamond material itself?

Not yet. Current cutting accuracy is not great . We and other companies are working at new cutting tools( to cut any cut with accuracy up to 0.1 degree for both angles)

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/13/2007 7:49:32 AM

Date: 8/13/2007 7:34:53 AM

what's the hit rate

My mistake DiaGem, I answeed the wrong question before - I was still on the color software theme. Octonus and their agent Lexus have many clients already for inclusion and allocation software and Pacor, Helium Rough and the MBox systems. I probably should not name them here, and i only link off this site to educational information. But feel free to visit OctoNus's site and see About Company>Customers.

36.gif

Sergey,

Diagem,

Could you give real example such limitations?

Just a small example..., the placing of the table facet and the order in which the facets are cut?

Not yet. Current cutting accuracy is not great . We and other companies are working at new cutting tools( to cut any cut with accuracy up to 0.1 degree for both angles)
Another example is ..., when you cut the half (LGF), you measure a center-point on the girdle junction with main Pav., then you point the position where you want that facet to reach (LGF length), and that's it..., you 'click' and you have a facet on the virtual Diamond...

Now for example in real-life..., you cut the half extending into the adjacent main Pav. facet needing to cut the half next to it to bring back the facet junction line into symmetry..., am I making sense?

the LGF angles are going to be completely different at the end.

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Diagem

re:Now for example in real-life..., you cut the half extending into the adjacent main Pav. facet needing to cut the half next to it to bring back the facet junction line into symmetry..., am I making sense?

Is it task from real-life your CutDesigner Team? :)

In HeliumRough real-life Polishers could use laser marking for exact guidance angles of facets.

Please do not mix Cutdesigner tasks and cutting tasks. Real-life is more easy and effective if you have instruments to separate these tasks

We mark culet , girdle , table positions( in 3D), positions and shapes facets,…

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/13/2007 8:39:19 AM

Diagem

re:Now for example in real-life..., you cut the half extending into the adjacent main Pav. facet needing to cut the half next to it to bring back the facet junction line into symmetry..., am I making sense?

Is it task from real-life your CutDesigner Team? :) ???

In HeliumRough real-life Polishers could use laser marking for exact guidance angles of facets.

Please do not mix Cutdesigner tasks and cutting tasks. Real-life is more easy and effective if you have instruments to separate these tasks

But if I design a speciality cut on DC..., and then wish to virtually visualize my work..., I will get/see a wrong appearance..., no?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/13/2007 8:46:02 AM

Date: 8/13/2007 8:39:19 AM

Diagem

Is it task from real-life your CutDesigner Team? :) ???

But if I design a speciality cut on DC..., and then wish to virtually visualize my work..., I will get/see a wrong appearance..., no?
My post just above was a comment for Sergey''s earlier post :)

see a wrong appearance..., no?>>>
You plan and you can see (virtual images and movies) for the cut that you have designed, with the parameter range you specify for any chosen range of proportions DG. Say you have a cushion with 3 variable pavilion facets - and you have your own standards of Excellent, very Good, Good, Fair and poor, with Rap values programed in for each - then you will get values and options for each listed in carat weight and dollar value. You can even request a run for 20 different cuts in various lab or in house cut grades, and several clarities (of course computation time will go up).

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
re:But if I design a speciality cut on DC..., and then wish to virtually visualize my work..., I will get/see a wrong appearance..., no?

One type cutters can cut standard round cut with accuracy 0.2 degree, other with 1 degree only.
What is connection with CutDesigner work Here? Just second type cutters may be do not need it at all .

If you know what is your cutting accuracy is 0.2 degree you need check stability you final solution with deviation 0.2 degree.
Deviation 1 degree kick out you from this game

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/13/2007 8:46:42 AM
I have seen this DG, it is quite complex when 3 or more stones are being cut from 1 rough. I am always amazed to see how clever these people are.
Thats what I am trying to figure...,

What is the hit-rate on yield (polished weight vs. rough weight) on fancy shapes? (no rounds...)
Let say it shows you can cut and polish a 3.31 ct. pear (ex-ex) and a 1.74 ct. cushion (vg-vg) out of a 11.34 ct sawable rough...
In reality..., how close to the predicted numbers is the outcome going to be?

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/13/2007 9:11:28 AM
re:But if I design a speciality cut on DC..., and then wish to virtually visualize my work..., I will get/see a wrong appearance..., no?

One type cutters can cut standard round cut with accuracy 0.2 degree, other with 1 degree only.
What is connection with CutDesigner work Here? Just second type cutters may be do not need it at all .

If you know what is your cutting accuracy is 0.2 degree you need check stability you final solution with deviation 0.2 degree.
OK..., so I understand that unless you cut round/princess super precision cuts..., all other cuts are under-qualified or no reason "yet" to use full potential of this program?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/13/2007 9:12:05 AM

Date: 8/13/2007 8:46:42 AM
I have seen this DG, it is quite complex when 3 or more stones are being cut from 1 rough. I am always amazed to see how clever these people are.
Thats what I am trying to figure...,

What is the hit-rate on yield (polished weight vs. rough weight) on fancy shapes? (no rounds...)
Let say it shows you can cut and polish a 3.31 ct. pear (ex-ex) and a 1.74 ct. cushion (vg-vg) out of a 11.34 ct sawable rough...
In reality..., how close to the predicted numbers is the outcome going to be?
As Sergey says, the answer depends on you, not on the technology. It depends on the engineering, technology and skill inside your organisation. One of the big improvements I believe that has come from manufacturers is having super accurate measurement devices to check individual workers and complete manufacturing stages and processes.

If you look here you can see a report that provides a huge amount of detail.
http://www.octonus.com/oct/products/helium/polish/ Check out the report near the bottom of the page.

A competent expert can examine several diamonds from any manufacturing source and make process improvements via improved equipment or work practices.

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/13/2007 9:17:13 AM

OK..., so I understand that unless you cut round/princess super precision cuts..., all other cuts are under-qualified or no reason ''yet'' to use full potential of this program?
Not exactly. For big rough , you can do iterations. marking , draft cutting, scan , marking..( Or if you have big serial production( medium size) you can produce tools for any special cut.)
We have not tools for cheap cutting any new cut.

Of course if you want receive good accuracy for cut like Cushion , you need

1) Use for allocation exactly same model what you will cut latter
2) Use laser bruiting with girdle shape what you used for allocation( It is problem for any cut yet. You can use Laser marking for girdle shape now)
3) Skills

You can achieve

1) “Easy” +-0.10 ct
2) Not very easy +-0.05 ct
3) Hard training for staff , additional special tools +-0.02ct
For 1.74ct Cushion

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/13/2007 9:43:39 AM

Date: 8/13/2007 9:17:13 AM

OK..., so I understand that unless you cut round/princess super precision cuts..., all other cuts are under-qualified or no reason ''yet'' to use full potential of this program?

Not exactly. For big rough , you can do iterations. marking , draft cutting, scan , marking..( Or if you have big serial production( medium size) you can produce tools for any special cut.)
We have not tools for cheap cutting any new cut.
I produce my own tools when needed, but what if I cut mass-production on unique type shapes? Not serial!

Of course if you want receive good accuracy for cut like Cushion , you need

1) Use for allocation exactly same model what you will cut latter
2) Use laser bruiting with girdle shape what you used for allocation( It is problem for any cut yet. You can use Laser marking for girdle shape now)
I dont use laser bruting..., not accurate enough for mm. dimensions...
3) Skills
So-far..., skill is my biggest asset..., I use technology to help when needed..., but my production is still based on human skill!!!

You can achieve

1) “Easy” +-0.10 ct
2) Not very easy +-0.05 ct
3) Hard training for staff , additional special tools +-0.02ct

For 1.74ct Cushion

Yuri

Rough_Rock

DiaGem,

Could you please show any example of your cut design? Did you designed cuts for fancy colors?

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/13/2007 5:03:22 PM
Author: Yuri

DiaGem,

Could you please show any example of your cut design? Did you designed cuts for fancy colors?

Yuri,
You can see some images I posted in the gallery...
I dont cut Fancy colors regularly..., except when a exceptional
10.gif
l rare colored rough falls into my hands..., which we all know these things dont just fall into our hands these days.

That''s why it makes me mad..., when cutters take ordinary yellow tinted rough and cut them to some specifics that fall into the GIA''s FLY grades...
Basically..., these Diamonds are ''just'' simple Cape''s selling at illusionary Fancy value''s!!!

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/14/2007 1:26:37 AM

DiaGem,

Yuri,
10.gif
l rare colored rough falls into my hands..., which we all know these things dont just fall into our hands these days.

That's why it makes me mad..., when cutters take ordinary yellow tinted rough and cut them to some specifics that fall into the GIA's FLY grades...
Basically..., these Diamonds are 'just' simple Cape's selling at illusionary Fancy value's!!!
re:You can see some images I posted in the gallery...

Diagem, Please give direct link.
Sorry I can not find COLOR diamonds.
WHat is your design ?.( step cut marquise ?DiaGemHex.JPG ? All such cuts are not good for Fancy Color)

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/14/2007 3:40:04 AM

Date: 8/14/2007 1:26:37 AM

DiaGem,

Yuri,
10.gif

That''s why it makes me mad..., when cutters take ordinary yellow tinted rough and cut them to some specifics that fall into the GIA''s FLY grades...
Basically..., these Diamonds are ''just'' simple Cape''s selling at illusionary Fancy value''s!!!
re:You can see some images I posted in the gallery...

Diagem, Please give direct link.
Sorry I can not find COLOR diamonds.

WHat is your design ?.( step cut marquise ?DiaGemHex.JPG ? All such cuts are not good for Fancy Color)
Sergey, I said in my previous post..."I dont cut Fancy colors regularly..., except when a exceptional rare colored rough falls into my hands"

I have not posted any colored Diamonds I cut..., plus the fact that I cant post designs I cut on an open forum..., sorry!

Step-Cut MQ and Hexagonal step-cuts are classic cuts for colored Diamonds as long as the color is truly there! I agree you cant take Cape material and cut them into step-cuts as they dont hold color.

DC is intriguing to me not for Fancy Colored Diamonds but for colorless Diamonds.
But I am still not sure it can help me much on real out-of the ordinary designs...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results