shape
carat
color
clarity

Fancy Intense and Vivid Pink Diamond Parcel

AN0NYM0US

Shiny_Rock
Last year I received an email from a FCD vendor that I deal with on a regular basis. They had a parcel come across their desk and was wondering if I would be interested. They do this to see if they can make a quick flip and I'm cool with that. Inside the parcel were dozens of fancy intense and vivid pink heart shaped diamonds. The total weight was 3.8 carat and the largest diamond of the batch was .11ct. They were fresh off of the wheel and hadn't even been graded yet. The only catch was I would have to buy the lot, it was an all or nothing deal. I immediately started looking around to see what I could sell to buy these babies (did you know you can get 30k for a kidney?), but alas it wasn't meant to be. The vendor didn't buy them and I often lay awake at night wondering what became of them.

fip_deal_1000-1.jpg

ieatbugs

Shiny_Rock
Were you concerned that the vendor's strict deadline and refusal to split it up may have been a sign of questionably obtained product?

AN0NYM0US

Shiny_Rock
ieatbugs|1349229524|3278408 said:
Were you concerned that the vendor's strict deadline and refusal to split it up may have been a sign of questionably obtained product?

No deadline was given. The vendor is on the level. They are a multi family, well known business based out of Israel, I still deal with them today. My only concern was my (lacking) financial situation at the time. I believe the seller/cutter wanted the "all or nothing" deal. Perhaps they changed their mind and "parted out" the lot later or maybe the next vendor bought them all, I'll never know. I'm pretty sure a parcel like this is somewhat unusual, I just wanted to share a silly little story and heck there's even a picture :bigsmile:

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
Those would have made a pretty necklace. Ah, the one(s) that got away ...

CharmedOne

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful stones, loves the hearts!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That would make a really cool piece of jewelry.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those little diamond hearts are adorable! I know, an odd way to describe diamonds, but those are sweet!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
They are gorgeous, was there enough for a necklace? :shock:

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for the story and the picture - they certainly would have made a drool-worthy necklace.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting that they are all hearts. Do you think perhaps they were't 100% sure of the grading so they tried to move the parcel quickly? They were likely to be broken up in the end, but whatever the case might be, they'd make an awesome bracelet or even a cluster style ring (all the hearts set with the point inwards).

AN0NYM0US

Shiny_Rock
I'm not sure why the cutter wanted to sell it as a lot. I assume they could have made more money selling them individually, but that would require a lot more work, especially after the best stones had been "cherry picked". Very cool design idea about the ring btw.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It looks like an amazing parcel A!

When it comes to selling a parcel versus selling one by one, there's a lot of factors.
If you bought the entire parcel at 25% less than the could sell it for as single stone sales, but paid right now, they might use that cash to buy new rough, and increase overall profits though increased cash flow.

If the color in the photo was accurate, I'd have loved to sunk my teeth into that one :naughty:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rockdiamond|1349311920|3278981 said:

When it comes to selling a parcel versus selling one by one, there's a lot of factors.
If you bought the entire parcel at 25% less than the could sell it for as single stone sales, but paid right now, they might use that cash to buy new rough, and increase overall profits though increased cash flow.

If the color in the photo was accurate, I'd have loved to sunk my teeth into that one :naughty:

Retail or wholesale?

We civilians cannot command the prices that you retailers can.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
kenny said:
Rockdiamond|1349311920|3278981 said:

Retail or wholesale?

We civilians cannot command the prices that you retailers can.

Interesting discussion.
With regards to the original question- retail or wholesale, the principle is the same.
A company has a given amount of capitol. Depending on the business model, it can be more profitable giving up margin ( profit) in return for liquidity ( quicker payment).
Cutters are frequently in this position.

About the prices sellers can command..... speaking as a consumer, I see a totally different experience buying from a private individual as compared to a well established dealer.
The same high value item that is on craig's list for $10k might be worth $15k+ in the hands of a well established dealer- and for very good reason.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results