shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA report results

DiamondDust13

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I had posted here about two of my fancy color diamonds before sending them to GIA.

Now I have the results .

Fancy Light Yellow-Brown .98 ct pear

and

Fancy Dark Gray 1.21 ct round I2 (no fluorescence)

My question is, was it worth it and should I continue with sending a diamond to get graded in the future?

DiamondDust13

Shiny_Rock
Premium
What were you hoping to gain? Were these the results you expected?
I wanted to know if the diamonds that I chose were of valuable color. I am definitely happy with everything in the end but I don't know if it is worth it financially to invest in sending another diamond to get certified.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The question I'd ask is, "Is it even worth buying ungraded diamonds of such colors?".

If you like them to keep for yourself that's one thing, but if your intent was to flip them at a profit that's another thing.

Invest?
Diamonds are not an investment.
We buy at retail, but have to sell at wholesale.
If wholesale is half retail, then prices would have to double to break even.
Not much of an investment. :knockout:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, am I correct in thinking:

- you are being offered ungraded diamonds at prices that may or may not be 'a deal'?

- you have bought two and had them graded? (as per the original post)

- you are not sure whether the price of a grading report is worth paying, as you are not sure if the stones you have bought (and might buy in the future) are worth enough (over what you bought them for) for the expense of grading to be worth it?

You could look at it this way - if the stones were potentially very valuable, surely the vendor would have sent them for grading, so that they can get the highest possible price for them from buyers like you?

I think that as per Kenny's post, if you like them and can afford them, and they are being offered at low enough (and realistic) prices for ungraded stones in colours that are not very rare and are not in very high demand, you should buy what you want and keep them for yourself - it is your money to spend on things that make you happy, so no-one would deny you that pleasure.

As long as you are aware that the process is unlikely to make you any profit, you can buy in full awareness of the implications of your actions, which is all anyone can want or ask for. :)

skypie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Whether it was worth it seems like a question only you can answer since only you know how much you paid for the diamonds and how much it cost to get them graded.

From an objective point of view, you could decide if it was worth it if the cost of grading was less than the difference in sale price you could obtain when selling a graded diamond versus an ungraded diamond.

So for example, say getting a diamond graded cost $150. Without grading you could sell the diamond for $1000. With grading you could sell it for $1250. So in that case $1250-1000 = $250 > $150. So it was "worth it" to get it graded.

Of course if you aren't contemplating selling the diamonds then I question the value of grading other than to get more information on the stone for your own benefit.

I had posted here about two of my fancy color diamonds before sending them to GIA.

Now I have the results .

and

My question is, was it worth it and should I continue with sending a diamond to get graded in the future?

DiamondDust13

Shiny_Rock
Premium
The question I'd ask is, "Is it even worth buying ungraded diamonds of such colors?".

If you like them to keep for yourself that's one thing, but if your intent was to flip them at a profit that's another thing.

Invest?
Diamonds are not an investment.
We buy at retail, but have to sell at wholesale.
If wholesale is half retail, then prices would have to double to break even.
Not much of an investment. :knockout:
It took me a long time to find these particular pieces. One of them cost me under $200. And the other was bought with store credit from returning a number of previously bought diamonds. I have a very strong art background and was hoping to use these pieces to help my skills in jewelry designing. I still think that I can make few very nice pieces out of these at least.

DiamondDust13

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Whether it was worth it seems like a question only you can answer since only you know how much you paid for the diamonds and how much it cost to get them graded.

From an objective point of view, you could decide if it was worth it if the cost of grading was less than the difference in sale price you could obtain when selling a graded diamond versus an ungraded diamond.

So for example, say getting a diamond graded cost $150. Without grading you could sell the diamond for $1000. With grading you could sell it for $1250. So in that case $1250-1000 = $250 > $150. So it was "worth it" to get it graded.

Of course if you aren't contemplating selling the diamonds then I question the value of grading other than to get more information on the stone for your own benefit.
That definitely was a major issue. I do not own a diamond tester that can test for sapphire as well, so I was needing to know the color origin. Having it turn out to be a high value would have been a bonus. I am wanting to make the settings myself actually. I love art.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you get a clarity grade on the pear? (curious/nosy)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Now I have the results .

and

I thought you were going to try to sell them now that you have GIA reports? Wouldnt this question be much easier to answer after you try to
sell the stones that you had graded?

If you sell and make a profit then its worth it.

If you cant sell, or cant sell at a profit, then its not worth getting reports.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It took me a long time to find these particular pieces. One of them cost me under $200. And the other was bought with store credit from returning a number of previously bought diamonds. I have a very strong art background and was hoping to use these pieces to help my skills in jewelry designing. I still think that I can make few very nice pieces out of these at least.
I don't see how adding GIA paperwork would help with this.

If your plan includes selling them after you've finished the pieces, GIA grading usually makes this easier, but it's not usually the pivotal issue (The design and your selling skills are).

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think these days, unless you are a welll known, well regarded and very reputable business seller, you do need a report to sell your gems. That’s what buyers need to be reassured.
Maybe it adds value to the price or maybe it just means your gem will sell.
Especially true for any sapphires or rubies given the numbers of treatments and high quality synthetics about.
I have a few rubies and sapphires that I will ultimately sell but I can’t expect a potential buyer to “believe” me so I’ll be getting suitable reports for those I intend to sell.
For gems I’m keeping, I won’t bother.

DiamondDust13

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Did you get a clarity grade on the pear? (curious/nosy)
No they did not give me a clarity grade because of it falling out of the 1 ct range. I was hoping to get the inclusion plot.

DiamondDust13

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I thought you were going to try to sell them now that you have GIA reports? Wouldnt this question be much easier to answer after you try to
sell the stones that you had graded?

If you sell and make a profit then its worth it.

If you cant sell, or cant sell at a profit, then its not worth getting reports.
I definitely agree. I will try and sell them once I receive them from GIA. I am having trouble getting the right type of flattering photos however...

DiamondDust13

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I don't see how adding GIA paperwork would help with this.

If your plan includes selling them after you've finished the pieces, GIA grading usually makes this easier, but it's not usually the pivotal issue (The design and your selling skills are).
I am ready for learning what it takes to do it properly. I am fascinated with the art of stone setting and goldsmithing. Jewelry designing is my dream career. I have created artwork using pencil, acrylic, clay, wood, stone cutting, 3D Maya/Zbrush/Photoshop etc. To create something out of these diamonds would be so much fun.

DiamondDust13

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think these days, unless you are a welll known, well regarded and very reputable business seller, you do need a report to sell your gems. That’s what buyers need to be reassured.
Maybe it adds value to the price or maybe it just means your gem will sell.
Especially true for any sapphires or rubies given the numbers of treatments and high quality synthetics about.
I have a few rubies and sapphires that I will ultimately sell but I can’t expect a potential buyer to “believe” me so I’ll be getting suitable reports for those I intend to sell.
For gems I’m keeping, I won’t bother.
Yes! It is so true.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results