shape
carat
color
clarity

Fancy Green Diamond

Dmond

Rough_Rock
How valuable is a 7.50 carat fancy green / old european cut diamond?
This type of "reverse chameleon" diamond instantly turns white in dark light, but green at daylight.
In incandescent light it has a blue-gray appearance.
Possesses intense fluorescence, like kryptonite.
20230906_235546.jpg 20230906_235614.jpg 20230906_235538.jpg Screenshot_20230728_041114.jpg 20230906_235815.jpg

Dmond

Rough_Rock
Respectfully, that's almost certainly not a diamond. It's also not old european cut. If it is a diamond, hire a bodyguard

First of all, thanks for your response.
Yes, it is a very rare diamond. It is an old European cut but altered, since it has the polished sides forming a sun, which creates a very nice pattern.
Should I certify it at GIA? 20230615_151256.jpg 20230907_010206.jpg

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Well, the one thing it's most assuredly not is an old European cut. It is a recent novelty cut. It looks a bit like YAG material.
You could send it to GIA. I would love to see what they have to say about it.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

SandraLynn

Shiny_Rock
Well, the one thing it's most assuredly not is an old European cut. It is a recent novelty cut. It looks a bit like YAG material.
You could send it to GIA. I would love to see what they have to say about it.

I have been wrong before but someone with that caliber of a suspected OR a GIA verified natural green diamond wouldn’t be making a brand new account to post this or wouldn’t post it at all.

@Dmond, you really need to send this to GIA If you believe this is a diamond. I know not much about other stones but I spend some of my free time obsessing over FCD,
that color and other aspects do not look like a FCD and if it were what you claim, it would be headline, museum, multi millionaire worthy.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Maybe find an accredited gemology appraiser near you before sending it to GIA so you know how much to insure the shipment for.
The 5 carat Aurora green diamond is probably worth around USD$20 million today, so a 7.5 carat green would likely be worth $25-40 million, give or take, depending on certain factors.

Dmond

Rough_Rock
I have been wrong before but someone with that caliber of a suspected OR a GIA verified natural green diamond wouldn’t be making a brand new account to post this or wouldn’t post it at all.

@Dmond, you really need to send this to GIA If you believe this is a diamond. I know not much about other stones but I spend some of my free time obsessing over FCD,
that color and other aspects do not look like a FCD and if it were what you claim, it would be headline, museum, multi millionaire worthy.

Hello @SandraLynn! I have opened a new account, because there is always a first time in everything.
The intention of creating this post is to obtain people's opinions on how to proceed with price, certification, etc.
Could you tell me why I shouldn't publish it?
The stone belonged to my grandmother and she passed away just a year ago and that's why it's not certified.

Dmond

Rough_Rock
That is 99% not a diamond. It's either synthetic garnet or spinel. It's also 100% not an old euro cut. It's a novelty cut, which makes it even more obiovusly synthetic.
20230907_060842.jpg 20230907_010159.jpg 20230907_054703.jpg 20230907_075638.jpg

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Yes, that's external facet abrasion, pitting and what look to be uniform gas bubbles. These are also common in flux grown and some pulled synthetics. It is likely synthetic. For definitive answers I would again suggest taking it to a gemologist.

SandraLynn

Shiny_Rock
Hello @SandraLynn! I have opened a new account, because there is always a first time in everything.
The intention of creating this post is to obtain people's opinions on how to proceed with price, certification, etc.
Could you tell me why I shouldn't publish it?
The stone belonged to my grandmother and she passed away just a year ago and that's why it's not certified.

I’m not here to say what you should or shouldn’t do. I guess the fact that you say the stones was passed down and not something you sought out makes a bit more sense because the post just seemed off to me. It appears you’ve gotten the answers you were looking for and some opinions.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
you shouldn’t polish it because this synthetic spinel is not worth the polishing cost.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Who told you it was a diamond?

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi.

One of the least expensive routes to take is to call some mall jewelers and ask if they have a diamond tester, and would they test a stone you think may be a diamond. They will usually do that for free. Just ask them.

Annette
PS It probably is not a diamond, but its fun to dream

Dmond

Rough_Rock
Yes, that's external facet abrasion, pitting and what look to be uniform gas bubbles. These are also common in flux grown and some pulled synthetics. It is likely synthetic. For definitive answers I would again suggest taking it to a gemologist.

Hello! It is not abrasion, the surface have the roughness that jeweller left on the piece.
The marks or needles that can be seen in the pic, are not even on the surface of the piece.
It is difficult to see them without the magnifying glass and depending on the perspective of the light, it is almost impossible.
It has a distintive and not external inclusion of the diamond, in the culet facet {a stress halo}.

Dmond

Rough_Rock
Who told you it was a diamond?
Hi! A trusted friend in the family who is dedicated to diamonds, he has even traveled several times to look for diamonds, I understand.
He knows perfectly the roughness and appearance of a green diamond and he even showed me photos of his uncut pieces, also I suppose that his Harald Schneider L2 x10 does not usually fail him.
I guess I should trust their experience but not their appraisal...
He told me that I can get +200k is that true? Or should it simply be worth much more with these characteristics?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! A trusted friend in the family who is dedicated to diamonds, he has even traveled several times to look for diamonds, I understand.
He knows perfectly the roughness and appearance of a green diamond and he even showed me photos of his uncut pieces, also I suppose that his Harald Schneider L2 x10 does not usually fail him.
I guess I should trust their experience but not their appraisal...
He told me that I can get +200k is that true? Or should it simply be worth much more with these characteristics?

if you’re trolling everyone, you’re doing a very good job.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Hello! It is not abrasion, the surface have the roughness that jeweller left on the piece.
The marks or needles that can be seen in the pic, are not even on the surface of the piece.
It is difficult to see them without the magnifying glass and depending on the perspective of the light, it is almost impossible.
It has a distintive and not external inclusion of the diamond, in the culet facet {a stress halo}.

Yes, it has moderate abrasion from wear and yes, inclusions are mostly microscopic.

Here's the thing. No one would cut a 7+ figure fancy colored natural diamond like that in a modern poorly executed novelty cut, let it leave the wheel with poor polishing, purposefully abrade the facets and put it in a subpar setting. Even if the color is not top tier. Even if it was irradiated. No one, anywhere.
A diamond of this size would have a paper trail, it may even be named if it's top color (like the Dresden or Ocean Dream) at the very least it would be numbered and plotted. There would likely be artwork/pictures of it depending on age- it would be catalogued every time it changed hands or was recut. Where is it's dossier? It would be studied for up to a year or more as rough before they ever took it to the wheel. It would be, after all, one of the rarest diamonds in the world with the first being found only 300 yrs ago.

Send it to the GIA. I would suggest it is via armored truck.

As it stands, the going price for a ring like that on Ebay is around $300.00-500.00.

SandraLynn

Shiny_Rock
Here's the thing. No one would cut a 7+ figure fancy colored natural diamond like that in a modern poorly executed novelty cut, let it leave the wheel with poor polishing, purposefully abrade the facets and put it in a subpar setting. Even if the color is not top tier. Even if it was irradiated. No one, anywhere.
A diamond of this size would have a paper trail, it may even be named if it's top color (like the Dresden or Ocean Dream) at the very least it would be numbered and plotted. There would likely be artwork/pictures of it depending on age- it would be catalogued every time it changed hands or was recut. Where is it's dossier? It would be studied for up to a year or more as rough before they ever took it to the wheel. It would be, after all, one of the rarest diamonds in the world with the first being found only 300 yrs ago.

As it stands, the going price for a ring like that on Ebay is around $300.00-500.00.

Everything you said was what I was thinking at the beginning and was why I said what I first said. You explained it much better though :lol:

TXwidow

Shiny_Rock
I agree and that has been my opinion the entire time

"Here's the thing. No one would cut a 7+ figure fancy colored natural diamond like that in a modern poorly executed novelty cut, let it leave the wheel with poor polishing, purposefully abrade the facets and put it in a subpar setting. Even if the color is not top tier. Even if it was irradiated. No one, anywhere.
A diamond of this size would have a paper trail, it may even be named if it's top color (like the Dresden or Ocean Dream) at the very least it would be numbered and plotted. There would likely be artwork/pictures of it depending on age- it would be catalogued every time it changed hands or was recut. Where is it's dossier? It would be studied for up to a year or more as rough before they ever took it to the wheel. It would be, after all, one of the rarest diamonds in the world with the first being found only 300 yrs ago."
"

Dmond

Rough_Rock
Yes, it has moderate abrasion from wear and yes, inclusions are mostly microscopic.

Thanks for your reply!
What you say is very interesting and it may be that in that case some paper would have been issued but at the moment we have no evidence of it.
I can only say that a spinel with that color is simply synthetic and it is impossible for it to present inclusions, since I understand that synthetic blocks are cut into slices for faceting and do not have inclusions or do not have natural features.

If you are so kind, could you leave an example of which gemstone passes the thermal test / wheight / changes color with light instantly to green with LED light / green-yellow with sunlight / bluish green with incandescent light / frozen white with light faint / emits a fluorescence (blue-green)??

Recently, scientists discovered diamonds that change color in extreme cold, but photoreactive / reverse diamonds are even rarer.
Pedro II of Brazil had one, which also had similar capabilities but with other colors.
There is not much information because they are very rare, the only thing I understand is that this phenomenon "cannot be replicated" at the moment.

This is a chameleon reverse diamond with the color change similar to mine

SandraLynn

Shiny_Rock
@ItsMainelyYou Don’t waste your time further Explaining to an account who acts like they don’t know if they should send this to get graded, then spits out verbiage like this.

@Dmond FOH…. You are living up to the pronunciation of your user name.

I wont respond further and I suggest the same to others.

Dmond

Rough_Rock
Maybe find an accredited gemology appraiser near you before sending it to GIA so you know how much to insure the shipment for.
The 5 carat Aurora green diamond is probably worth around USD$20 million today, so a 7.5 carat green would likely be worth $25-40 million, give or take, depending on certain factors.
Hello! Thanks for the advice.
I will go personally to deliver it to the offices.
Could you tell me how much the colored diamond origin report certificate could cost, $2000/$3000?

Dmond

Rough_Rock
@ItsMainelyYou Don’t waste your time further Explaining to an account who acts like they don’t know if they should send this to get graded, then spits out verbiage like this.

@Dmond FOH…. You are living up to the pronunciation of your user name.

I wont respond further and I suggest the same to others.

I'm sorry, but I think the person who shouldn't comment more is you.
Whoever acts and writes like this, completely discredits himself.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results