shape
carat
color
clarity

Fancy color diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rlikng

Rough_Rock
I''m new to this forum. I''m searching for fancy color diamond now and need your advice for reliable fancy color diamond company. Is it safe to trade on-line ? If color show up doesn''t match photo or as expected, is it possible to ask for refund ? Can you share with me your experience ? Thanks.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to PS
35.gif

One thread per query is best, that way all the info stays in one place
1.gif
I am not well up on fancy colours or who sells them, it might be best to approach some of the vendors and ask them, also regarding their return policies as they too could vary.

You could try Dimend Scaasi, The Diamond.com and Engagement Rings Direct. Mark of the latter mentioned might be a good bet as he is in the heart of the diamond district in NY and can probably get access to many wonderful coloured diamonds. Sorry I am not much help, but it is probably best to ask the vendors direct.

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Most of the dealers here on PS have access to fancy colored diamonds regardless of whether they are listed on their inventory lists or not. I recommend reading the reviews and comments about the various dealers and their web sites to find a dealer that seems like a good match to your expectations and personality and ask for them to assist you in finding a diamond that meets your preferences. It is important to note that while round brilliant and princess cut diamonds are cut for visual performance and thus ratings of Excellent and Ideal are commonly available, fancy color diamonds are cut for intensity of color and not necessarily visual performance in the traditional sense. The goal of the cutter when crafting a fancy color diamond is to bring out the natural beauty of the diamond. It helps if you have an idea of the intensity of color that you prefer, fancy color diamonds are graded by degrees of intensity. For instance, a fancy yellow diamond will face up with a light hint of yellow that is pretty subtle... Fancy Intense Yellow is a little more distinct and Fancy Vivid Intense is a brighter, more distinct yellow. The price of the diamond will increase with the intensity of the color. Note that the intensity and color of the diamond will also change depending on the light source, here are two pictures of a Fancy Intense Yellow Radiant cut diamond that we recently sourced for a client, the first picture was taken outside on a little snow that was sitting on a bench outside of the store:

gia14789609diamond_loose2.jpg

The second picture of the same diamond was taken indoors on a white lacy doily under a chandelier which has 40 watt incandescent light bulbs, note how the depth of color changed:

gia14789609diamond_loose1.jpg

Same diamond... Different lighting... Completely different look. Kind of like a chameleon.

In terms of price, fancy yellow color diamonds are fairly reasonable in price. Fancy pinks, blues, reds and intense greens of natural origin have prices in the range of really nice houses! There are also some natural diamonds which are irradiated and/or altered on a molecular level to change color to more neon hues of yellow, orange, red, green and blue - I''m honestly not to up on those, but Marty Haske (Adamas Gem Labs) or Bill Lieberman (RockDoc) and David Atlas (Old Miner) can probably shed some light on those...

Tal

Rough_Rock
Well I''m the client that Todd sourced that yellow diamond for. In fact, I just got it in 10 minutes ago, and it''s awesome! I would highly recommend both Todd from Nice Ice and Tim from Good Old Gold. In fact, odd as it may seem being competitors and all, they both recommend each other. I would have felt completely comfortable buying from either one of them, but Todd was the one who was able to get in exactly what I was looking for.

I''ve been to A LOT of stores here in So Cal at Rodeo Drive and South Coast Plaza, and talked to several other online vendors, and it seemed like most of the people I talked to were just BS''ing me into trying to make a sale. And most of the jewelers couldn''t even hang with a conversation with someone (me) that spent just a couple months absorbing knowledge from Pricescope. I would say that was the impression I got from every store except Nice Ice, Good Old Gold, Mimi So (Rodeo Drive), and James Elliot (also Rodeo Drive).

Those are my recommendations for fancy yellow vendors! I''m actually working with Marie at Good Old Gold for the setting, and highly recommend her as well! She''s awesome.

rlikng

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all your advice. Probably I have to spent more time learning through Pricescope before buying a fancy color diamond on-line.

rjdodd

Shiny_Rock
Is the appearance nothing more than basic color theory? On an overcast day (the ouside picture) the light has a lot of blue, less yellow to reflect so the stone appears more washed out / lower stauration (and it''s against a white background). Incandescents are very yellow so there is much greater saturation (plus it''s sitting on the brown part of the table between the threads).

So if I want to pick a yellow grade I first have to decide how yellow I want it to appear, and in what lighting situation?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All stones, colored or not, will pick up the colors around them whether it is a blue sky, yellow wall or red shirt.
Next the color of the light source will affect what you see.

That is why color grade is assigned by GIA under their controlled lab lighting and environmental conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results