shape
carat
color
clarity

Fancy blue lab diamonds

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Are there new developments with fancy blue lab diamonds? Prices appear to have moderated and there are more that look more blue and less green/grey. Are they still cut before treatments? Do CVD and HPHT grown fancy blue labs receive the same post growth treatments?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Following this! I've been hunting for a slight/light blue and they are apparently few and far between. I personally think the hpht ones look closer to EGD colors, but I don't know the science behind the techniques

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
What size/cut are you looking for?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There are "boron blue" HPHT diamonds that get the color during growth.
THe color of these stones tends to be far more subtle than the irradiated, deeper blue lab diamonds on the market.
In general- I've noticed that fancy color LGD's are not following the price reductions we're seeing in colorless lab diamonds

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been liking the shade and intensity seen in HPHT blue nuance stones in the I through K range.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The vast majority theses days are nuked cvd with post nuking heat treatment to make them more blue and less green.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Is it the same process for HPHT grown that are post growth treated?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Is it the same process for HPHT grown that are post growth treated?

Yes and maybe no.
same basic process but likely some different steps I would think.
The boron in HPHT could change some things.
I don't know for sure that it does but it is logical that it would.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Are there new developments with fancy blue lab diamonds? Prices appear to have moderated and there are more that look more blue and less green/grey. Are they still cut before treatments? Do CVD and HPHT grown fancy blue labs receive the same post growth treatments?

Keep in mind we consumers don’t know what all has been created that we do not see.

I am noticing a wider range of intensity. It used to be a choice between bright turquoise color for nuked and light blue nuance for HPHT. Now I see more options including really really dark, which I will definitely get one day.

We need better data on price. I have noticed some price decreases mainly because I look for weird things. The really cool dark stones and the richer colors that drew my interest when they first became available for consumers to purchase used to cost too much for me. Now they have come down to attractive prices. But that is anecdotal.

‘There was a dark blue that I was tracking that went from $1200 in July to $1000 in September to $600 in November/December, and now I do not see it listed for sale.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
I have been tracking well cut fancy intense/vivid blue rounds that are HPHT grown with post growth treatments. Some have dropped to similar prices as well cut colorless rounds, but of course there are still ones that list for triple.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
What sites carry lgd fcds?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
As grown fancy vivid blue

Hi Everyone!
That stone was grown by a buddy of mine.
This is a different process than the "Boron Blue" stones.
He told me they get the color in the rough, HPHT grown.

Mooshi

Shiny_Rock
Would these colored, and especially darker colored diamonds throw rainbows just as much as their white counterparts?

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Hi Everyone!
That stone was grown by a buddy of mine.
This is a different process than the "Boron Blue" stones.
He told me they get the color in the rough, HPHT grown.

Interesting. Any idea what is in the rough? Nitrogen/hydrogen?

Would these colored, and especially darker colored diamonds throw rainbows just as much as their white counterparts?

In my limited experience (dark brown pink, dark violet grey, grey violet, and grey blue EGD; purplish-pink LGD, kind-of-grey LGD), the dark colors give off fewer rainbows. BUT it is sooooo cool to get any rainbows out of a dark rock. How often you see that happen in life? I will be buying dark LGD when prices go down.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock

I posted about my experience in another thread
There’s nothing quite like diamond fire! I find that darker tone can limit the amount of visible fire though. These are both fancy vivid blues, top is lighter tone and a near H&A round, bottom is darker tone and a H&A round. The amount of visible fire is noticeably different in person, especially under the table where light has to travel through more material.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi everyone!
Sorry for the delayed reply- I took a well deserved day off yesterday.

IF the stone is deeply colored, that will prevent visible "fire events"
In the case of faint or very lightly saturated stones, you can see the rainbows.
Also - in many cases, FCD's are not cut in a manner that encourages fire.

Interesting. Any idea what is in the rough? Nitrogen/hydrogen?

I flunked chemistry in high school....so are you really sure you want my opinion on this...hahahah

Seriously- I have not gotten to that level of detail with the growers.....

RockFox

Shiny_Rock
@lovedogs check out Fiorese Jewellery on Instagram they have light/slight blue diamonds and they do custom cuts (they have for me). Not sure about the chemistry but I know they will be happy to answer.

Attachments

• IMG_2800.jpeg
    IMG_2800.jpeg
    168.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2799.jpeg
    IMG_2799.jpeg
    170.8 KB · Views: 6
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results