shape
carat
color
clarity

Famous Diamonds - Shape

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have noticed that all famous diamonds are fancies. Why, if round, is the best shape for displaying a stones characteristics do they cut all the large famous diamonds into ovals, pears, marquise, what ever shape that centenary diamond is? I also notice that Hollywood stars tend to favour the fancy shapes also and they most certainly can afford the best. Is that because rounds look too 'gaudy' when they are of a high carat weight?

mdx

Brilliant_Rock
Pyramid
I think you will find that most large rough diamonds are cleavages or irregular shapes and not suitable for a round
There is also the matter of weight retention as shape would not really be a factor in value on a very large stone.

Wayne

tiggerlgh

Rough_Rock
I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination but I would think it also has to do with Stars liking things that are "different" since the vast majority of women in the world have round diamonds they go for the fancy shapes so that it stands out more.

DiamondOptics

Shiny_Rock
Hi Pyramid,

This is only my opinion, but most of those famous large diamonds are cut to maximize their size. Usually at 50+ carats the diamond crystal may have a unique shape to it,
and the cutters are instructed to use every last bit of rough to max out on the size of the finished product.

Carat weight carries a completely different meaning when dealing with a huge diamond. Emphesis is placed on the size, and every last carat point counts at that level.

Fancy shapes are far more accomodating to utilizing every last bit of diamond rough compared to rounds, which may explain why so many of those large famous diamonds are fancies.

kirk

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Wayne, tiggerlgh, and kirk. I wonder what the clarities and colours are of those large diamonds the celebrities have. Would they be like IF, VVS1, D, E colour do you know? Maybe only Harry Winston and they know that. I like to look at them anyhow, wouldn't mind holding them but could never wear them in a million years. Short fingers and short person that I am.
loopy.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Actually many large diamonds are really D,E - Flawless to VVS's... Or at least this is what auction sites (sotheby's, christie's and so) tell us...
2.gif
1.gif

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ooh, lucky celebrities. Good jobs, huge mansions, parties, big rocks, clear rocks, white rocks or any colour they choose rocks, large sidestones, good looks or money for plastic surgery, famous husbands/wives, the list never ends....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results