shape
carat
color
clarity

Family ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CDNTech

Rough_Rock
I want to do a family ring in this setting.

I have a custom made wedding set (10 yr anniversary present) coming this week. It holds a center EC diamond with rectangular baguettes on either side (channel set). The center stone is set fairly high so that the wedding band sits flush. The wedding band is channel set horizontal baguettes. Since my wedding set is fairly simple, I wanted to keep the family ring simple as well.

The round stones will all be rb diamonds. The squares will be princess or asscher cut (maybe... debating this because I have emeralds and baguettes in my wedding set) gemstones.

I know I will have a Garnet, Sapphire, Emerald, Aquamarine, & Ruby in it for sure. I'm not sure what I want for the other available spaces... it's a toss up right now because I'm not sure how many square spaces will be available for gemstones. Ideally, I'd like to have enough spaces (11) to have one space for each month's birthstone (the rb's can count for april)... this way, no matter who we add to the family over the years, their birthstone will be represented. The issue is that I wear a 5.5 (RHR), and I'm not sure if that size will give me enough square spaces for all of the gemstones.

Questions...
1. How many square stones can I fit on that ring in a size 5.5?
2. What colour order should I put the coloured gemstones in?
3. Is there a website somewhere that I can add coloured gemstones to a ring to see what they look like?
4. Should I do princess or asscher cut for the square spaces?

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/24/2008 5:27:13 PM
Author:CDNTech
I want to do a family ring in this setting.

I have a custom made wedding set (10 yr anniversary present) coming this week. It holds a center EC diamond with rectangular baguettes on either side (channel set). The center stone is set fairly high so that the wedding band sits flush. The wedding band is channel set horizontal baguettes. Since my wedding set is fairly simple, I wanted to keep the family ring simple as well.

The round stones will all be rb diamonds. The squares will be princess or asscher cut (maybe... debating this because I have emeralds and baguettes in my wedding set) gemstones.

I know I will have a Garnet, Sapphire, Emerald, Aquamarine, & Ruby in it for sure. I''m not sure what I want for the other available spaces... it''s a toss up right now because I''m not sure how many square spaces will be available for gemstones. Ideally, I''d like to have enough spaces (11) to have one space for each month''s birthstone (the rb''s can count for april)... this way, no matter who we add to the family over the years, their birthstone will be represented. The issue is that I wear a 5.5 (RHR), and I''m not sure if that size will give me enough square spaces for all of the gemstones.

Questions...

1. How many square stones can I fit on that ring in a size 5.5?

2. What colour order should I put the coloured gemstones in?

3. Is there a website somewhere that I can add coloured gemstones to a ring to see what they look like?

4. Should I do princess or asscher cut for the square spaces?

1. We can''t tell you this, but the manufacter might be able to.
2. I''d visit the jeweller you plan to buy the stones and setting from and play with the stones there to see what you like best.
3. Not that I''m aware of.
4. I think asscher or french cuts would look best.

CDNTech

Rough_Rock
Thanks for responding so quickly. :) What is a french cut?

ETA: Gotta learn to search before I ask a question. The french cut is beautiful. :)

CDNTech

Rough_Rock
I love the design of that ring... thanks for posting that!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Totally agree with everything said above. The only thing I would add is that trying to find Asschers that small might take some time. Instead of Asschers how about Carre cuts? I don''t know if they''re easier to source or cheaper but at least it gives you options. This is what they look like:

CDNTech

Rough_Rock
Those are gorgeous too! Eek... too many beautiful choices! lol The last time I shopped for diamonds was 12 years ago when I was getting engaged!

So... french cut, baguettes, carre, asscher... what''s the difference between these?

I''m currently debating between the ring Addy posted and this Beverly K (attached pic). I''m thinking french cut in the rectangles and carre cut in the squares on the one Addy posted or all carre cuts in the Beverly K. What do you think? What am I overlooking in my ignorance of gemstone/diamond cutting?

CDNTech

Rough_Rock
oops... trying that pic again.

Not working... it''s on Pearlman''s site. Item #146PP1

dancingflame

Shiny_Rock
What a fun and special project!

CDNTech

Rough_Rock
Thank you! I met with the jeweller yesterday. I''m going with the original setting I posted in a 3mm wide band in 19kt white gold.

The circles will be 3pt round brilliant diamonds. The squares will be 5pt Princess cut gemstones... Red Garnet, Blue Sapphire, Emerald, Aquamarine, Ruby, Blue Topaz, Amethyst, Pink Sapphire, Peridot, Orange Sapphire, and an Alexandrite (if there''s room).

It won''t be back until mid-end January... so I''ll have to be patient. In the meantime, my wedding reset will be here tomorrow!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results