shape
carat
color
clarity

Familiarity with Gemstones Paradise ?

SparklySasquatch

Rough_Rock
Is anyone familiar with the vendor Gemstones Paradise on Etsy ? It states that they are located in Peshawar, Pakistan which gives me pause besides being on Etsy.

I know Etsy can have some really reliable sellers and then others not so much. This one states they have been active since 2014 with 991 sales. Looks like an over 4,5 star rating. Learned the difficult way (not on a gem !) that not all reviews are how they seem.

Anyone purchase from them or any experiences that you know of ? Thanks !

SparklySasquatch

Rough_Rock
So it seems no one has experience with this seller. Thank you for reading my post anyway! =)2

My next question is how to "protect" myself as a buyer on Etsy specifically for buying gemstones? Ask for a certificate for any potential gems? (Can those be doctored anyway?) All the reviews look good, but one never knows. Are there any red flags for you? See here.

Apologies for the questions. I have purchased gems online but only from the approved list of vendors provided here and not through Etsy. Don't really want to end up paying for a chunk of colored glass! :sick:

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
They take paypal and offer 30-day returns, so on first glance it seems okay. If what you're buying is described as a natural gemstone but ends up being something else, you'll have buyer protection from both etsy and paypal and will be able to get your money back, even if the seller is uncooperative. You will need proof to present, though, so keep that in mind.

Honestly, the thing you need to pay attention to most is the logistics that are involved in a potential return. What conditions need to be met in order to import the gem back in the country? Sometimes a return can be so finicky, it stops being a viable option. I skimmed over the first two pages of the reviews and found two instances in which the photo the customer provided doesn't match the vendor photos in the slightest. That's always something to consider when shopping online.

SparklySasquatch

Rough_Rock
They take paypal and offer 30-day returns, so on first glance it seems okay. If what you're buying is described as a natural gemstone but ends up being something else, you'll have buyer protection from both etsy and paypal and will be able to get your money back, even if the seller is uncooperative. You will need proof to present, though, so keep that in mind.

Honestly, the thing you need to pay attention to most is the logistics that are involved in a potential return. What conditions need to be met in order to import the gem back in the country? Sometimes a return can be so finicky, it stops being a viable option. I skimmed over the first two pages of the reviews and found two instances in which the photo the customer provided doesn't match the vendor photos in the slightest. That's always something to consider when shopping online.

Thank you for your feedback and advice. It's valuable! I would prefer not to purchase, take that risk, and then have to consider all of the issues with a return/import. Excellent point.

I experienced a situation on Etsy (thankfully not a large purchase and it did come through - a silly pet costume) where the vendor had a 5 star rating and I didn't do my due diligence of thoroughly checking reviews. The reviews came from accounts all connected to each other. So, thanks for the head's up on the reviews. I scrolled looking at names rather than content!

MeatloafAirstrike

Rough_Rock
I am by no means an expert on this but quite a lot of the stuff on their store is priced in "too good to be true" territory. For example, this "loop" clean tsavorite is listed for $100/ct. No loupe clean tsavorite in a deep green is going to sell for $100/ct. In this one's case, you can easily tell from the pictures that there's a major (probably surface-reaching) crack in the stone, it's basically nothing but window, and the polish is absolutely terrible.

None of the words they use to describe it are accurate. Optimistically, maybe a tsavorite in that poor of condition is actually worth $100/ct but considering how it's presented I would be really really careful with that entire shop.

SparklySasquatch

Rough_Rock
Thank you, Meatloaf!

That was a suspicion of mine as well - the pricing. Whilst attractive, it did not seem right, although I was looking at some of the light blue spodumenes and apatites. Not particularly expensive/valuable things.

Thankfully I wasn't interested in something that would have been heartbreaking, but i wouldn't want to look like a fool either, when I would take a stone for setting.

Thanks again.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results