shape
carat
color
clarity

Fakes?

WhiteyRocks

Rough_Rock
So my cousin bought a old second hand wardrobe off a site called gumtree and found these loose stones. Are they fake diamonds like cubic zerconia? What is the best test to find authenticity?

img_10517.jpg

img_10518.jpg

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
**edited by moderator, be an adult, be nice please**

WhiteyRocks

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your sarcasm. I thought people on here were helpful

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
WhiteyRocks|1453541591|3980135 said:

I was being light-hearted and helpful the best place to get them tested is a jeweler

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jeweler or pawn shop should have a tester. Does the oval stone come to a point at the bottom that is cut off (looks like it has
a large culet)? Wondering what that dark thing is in the stone.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just offhand, they don't look like diamonds from the photograph. But a trustworthy jeweler or pawn shop will be able to give you a definitive answer.

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wouldn't that be something if they were real?! Definitely take them to a jeweler or if you don't feel like doing that, you can buy a diamond tester on eBay for less than $20.

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
How exciting to find treasures....I recently found a couple of stones and a 14ct antique setting in an old sewing cabinet that I inherited. I had a jeweler check them out (at no charge) and found out they were probably 'clear lake diamonds' which are quartz. The stones were of little value but I was able to use the setting! Good luck to you! If nothing else, it is a great story!

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Since you can read text through them, it is unlikely that they are diamonds unless they are truly horrendously cut. Look for inkdrop test for diamonds and try it properly.

They seem to be included, which suggest they are natural stones. If they are antique synthetics in good condition they are actually worth a decent bit of money to collectors. Natural diamond substitutes vary of course but are not worth a lot unless they're very nice.

A jeweler or cheap diamond tester can give you a diamonds yes or no but someone with some training should be able to tell you what they actually are. Ask the jeweler; they may give you a name, or look for a local gemological society.

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock
As a first guess - just by looking at pictures - they don't look like diamonds.

rockhoundofficiando

Shiny_Rock
They don't look like diamonds to me. Poor pictures. Stone 2 looks like it could be a moissanite (factory made created simulant more durable than cz) based on the fine lines emanating from the center. I wouldn't buy a generic tester off ebay as moissanite may test positive. Plus even some "jewelers" seem to have difficulty differentiating moissanite from genuine diamonds despite the double refraction, shallow cut and color. However jeweler is your best bet Come back and let us know what the stones are.
http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-tell-if-a-diamond-is-fake-or-real-2015-1

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
WhiteyRocks|1453541591|3980135 said:

We are, as long as you ignore posters like that.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yanno, that first one is interesting - looks like it has a culet, the faceting reminds me of an old cut diamond - and the fact that it's an oval is interesting too - there is no way I would venture a guess one way or another, and just thinking out loud here - I'm not saying it's a diamond but it doesn't look like a typical sim to me, maybe it's a gemstone, such as sapphire or topaz? The second one looks more like a sim to me, but as others have said a reputable jeweler will be able to tell for sure if they are diamonds - good luck and let us know what you find out!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Many jewelers and even pawn shops will tell you for free if they're diamonds or not. It's a pretty easy question if they have the stone in hand. If it is, a capable appraiser can tell you what sort of grading to expect and if it's a good strategy to send it to a lab. If they're not, the question of what it is can be a bit trickier. Mostly the pawn types aren't prepared to answer that but most appraisers can do it quickly and for a reasonable fee.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1453661812|3980759 said:
Yanno, that first one is interesting - looks like it has a culet, the faceting reminds me of an old cut diamond - and the fact that it's an oval is interesting too - there is no way I would venture a guess one way or another, and just thinking out loud here - I'm not saying it's a diamond but it doesn't look like a typical sim to me, maybe it's a gemstone, such as sapphire or topaz? The second one looks more like a sim to me, but as others have said a reputable jeweler will be able to tell for sure if they are diamonds - good luck and let us know what you find out!

I was thinking the same thing about the oval. I'm not going to venture a guess. Easy enough to just go to department or jewelry store and ask to use their tester, to determine whether diamonds or not.

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
junebug17|1453661812|3980759 said:

I once bought a ring at a pawn shop (for $3) that was supposed to be paste. I noticed that it had a culet and it looked to be an old cut. The ring was also stamped "14K". I figured for $3, why not? The pawn shop owner tested the metal and said it wasn't gold. He didn't have a diamond tester, IIRC. I took it to a jewelry store that tested the diamond and not the metal. They told me that it was glass set in a gold mounting.
It was fun. I kept the ring for a while and then I think I sold it for $1 at a yard sale.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results