shape
carat
color
clarity

Fake diamond from Amsterdam Diamond Center , Amsterdam

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pernst02

Rough_Rock
I need advice on what to do about a diamond i bought from Amsterdam Diamond Center in Amsterdam. My local jeweller believes it is a fake. I did research regarding reputable places to buy a diamond for an engagement ring/ proposal. I payed good money as i was told that Amsterdam Diamond Center was a good place to buy. Can anyone help me or advise what i should do.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Could you tell us a little bit more about what kind of info. you had on the stone prior to purchasing it, and why exactly your jeweler feels it''s a fake? Because, right now, I''d say that reconciling those two positions - real vs. fake - is the first step. You might consider setting up an appointment with a qualified appraiser, or sending the stone off to GIA before you do anything else ....

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I''m confused, shouldn''t a jeweler be able to tell if a diamond is real or not? If they can''t, arn''t they in the wrong business?

Get an independent appraisal ASAP. Hopefully its what you paid for.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/2/2007 4:25:44 AM
Author:pernst02
I need advice on what to do about a diamond i bought from Amsterdam Diamond Center in Amsterdam. My local jeweller believes it is a fake. I did research regarding reputable places to buy a diamond for an engagement ring/ proposal. I payed good money as i was told that Amsterdam Diamond Center was a good place to buy. Can anyone help me or advise what i should do.
Welcome! First of all try not to panic and get an independant appraisal as soon as you can, I doubt you have a fake. Does the diamond have a GIA, HRD or AGS report? Can you give us any more info on the diamond?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Believes?
Or
Knows?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/2/2007 5:05:39 AM
Author: asscherisme
I'm confused, shouldn't a jeweler be able to tell if a diamond is real or not? If they can't, arn't they in the wrong business?
You would think so, but ‘jeweler’ can include a variety of rather different skill sets that may or may not include gem identification. Lots of merchants are good at buying and selling things that they know little or nothing about. Telling the difference between a diamond and a fake isn’t really all that difficult and any capable gemologist can do it in a matter of seconds but being a capable gemologist is not a prerequisite to being a jeweler. If you’re not certain of your answer to this question, try a different jeweler. It’s pretty important. Most jewelers are prepared to answer this question.

Assuming you bought a fake overseas, I would start by talking with your credit card company and asking them how they recommend you proceed. Next, talk to the merchant themselves and see what they have to say. First though, talk to someone who can tell the real thing from a fake and figure out for sure what you have.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Jenna51580gr

Shiny_Rock
First ASAP you need to take your diamond and get it appriased to see if it is Real or Not. Second you need to call your credit card company and see what they can do. Thirdly I would call the vendor or merchant you bought the diamond in Amesterdam. I say to do that thirdly because you want all the info before you contact them.

QOTDR

Rough_Rock
Did he make this prouncement just by looking at the stone or did he use a diamond tester or other tool to make his decision? I agree with all of the above. Take it to another jeweler and get it appraised. I''ve had "jewelers" in mall stores think cz''s were real, that an emerald cut is the same as a princess, etc... Horror stories abound. Lots of times, the "jeweler" is nothing more than a sales associate, especially in the mall stores. Let us know how it turns out.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree, first you need to get an independant appraisal.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does the jeweler who "believes" your stone may be a fake by any chance express an interest in selling you a different stone?

BigDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
DeeJay, I was thinking the exact same thing.

Take your stone to an independent appraiser who does NOT sell diamonds and is not associated with a store that does.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/2/2007 3:31:32 PM
Author: BigDiamonds
DeeJay, I was thinking the exact same thing.

Take your stone to an independent appraiser who does NOT sell diamonds and is not associated with a store that does.
Ditto.

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock

On a slightly different tangent, the Amsterdam Diamond Center is a tourist tra-- er, attraction. There is no diamond industry in Amsterdam at present; the real dealers all moved to Antwerp decades ago. Whoever told you that was either misinformed or getting something from someone to steer you there.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/3/2007 4:53:18 PM
Author: CaptAubrey

On a slightly different tangent, the Amsterdam Diamond Center is a tourist tra-- er, attraction. There is no diamond industry in Amsterdam at present; the real dealers all moved to Antwerp decades ago. Whoever told you that was either misinformed or getting something from someone to steer you there.
One of my friends works for ''big XXXX'' and they had a junket (oop''s conference) in Amsterdam. one of the guys went shopping for his wife at one of these "diamond cutting" tourist stores.

The very attractive saleswoman offered herself for the night as part of the deal.
30.gif

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/3/2007 6:35:10 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

One of my friends works for ''big XXXX'' and they had a junket (oop''s conference) in Amsterdam. one of the guys went shopping for his wife at one of these ''diamond cutting'' tourist stores.

The very attractive saleswoman offered herself for the night as part of the deal.
30.gif
6.gif
(Why the smiley face, Garry?)

kellyfish

Brilliant_Rock
Gee, the next time DH brings home jewelry from a trip I''m going to wonder how good of a deal he got....

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock

One of my friends works for ''big XXXX'' and they had a junket (oop''s conference) in Amsterdam. one of the guys went shopping for his wife at one of these ''diamond cutting'' tourist stores.

30.gif

you sure the shop was in the diamond district and not the Red Light District? (well you can go through the RLD on the way to the DD if your coming from centraal station)
31.gif

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock

30.gif

Yes, but one cannot help but wonder what the store''s trade-in and upgrade policy is.
12.gif

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Maybe they''ll allow him to trade up from a D to a DD?
28.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results