shape
carat
color
clarity

Fair Trade Diamonds??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

killerqueen17

Rough_Rock
I'm really torn in my search for an e-ring.
33.gif

On one hand, I have always been sort of turned off to the whole diamond thing. I'm concerned about issues of justice in the diamond mining industry, where many miners are paid sub-poverty wages and subject to terrible working conditions. I don't really want another kind of gem, either. I don't really want a colored stone on my e-ring, and also other gems are mined under similar situations as diamonds.

So I've been looking at a lot of rings with a Celtic pattern, and no stone (palladium is my metal of choice). Sometimes I like them a lot, because the patterns are very pretty, and they compliment me and SO's heritage... but then sometimes I get worried that I'll regret choosing such a non-traditional style.

Suffice it to say that I don't really know what I want, and it's getting frustrating. To make matters more complicated, price is definitely an issue for me and my SO.
40.gif

I have heard talk of fair trade diamonds... are there any current vendors who sell fair trade, or is this something that's still in development? Also, I did run across one vendor (Brilliant Earth) that specialized in Canadian diamonds, which seemed like an interesting idea. Does anybody know of any other good resources for confused little me?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
can''t compare fair trade goods to diamonds.

there is no integrated supply chain.

there are no mines owned by miners.

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Couple of semi-random ideas on the topic:

1. If fair trade diamonds are the same as fair trade food... well, be careful. Most so-called fair-trade labels are an excuse for charging a premium of 20-50% but only about 1-2% higher prices to the producer. Not that this isn''t good - every little helps, and 1-2% of the final retail price often equates to 20-30% of the buying price, but I''m greatly annoyed at being taken for a ride so I won''t buy "fair trade" coming at a significant premium if I can help it, and I''d rather give directly to people that need help. Still on this subject: bear in mind that sometimes - only sometimes - the ones that have a job in the mines are the lucky ones, and a poverty wage in the developed countries may be perfectly acceptable remuneration in other places

2. As well as Canada, consider Australia. Go for a pink diamond! (AFAIK they are only mined in Australia - mind the prices, though)

3. How about an estate piece?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results