shape
carat
color
clarity

Fair price?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

puckreg

Rough_Rock
Hope someone can help with a fair price on a round diamond - was quoted $9000, and I know it's overpriced - but how overpriced?

GIA certified Round Brilliant
Measurements 7.27 - 7.35 X 4.40 mm
Weight 1.42 Carat
Depth 60.2%
Table 58%
Girdle Thin to Medium, Faceted
Polish Good
Symmetry Very Good
Clarity VS2
Color G
Flourescence None
Comments:
Pinpoints are not shown.

I have searched on several diamond vendor sites - and found comparable diamonds ranging from $4-8K.

Intend to set the diamond in a Vatche' X-prong w/Pave' diamonds - was quoted approximately $1,500 from a local Vatche' dealer. Have seen it online for a few hundred dollars less.

I have picked up a lot of info from these boards, thanks in advance for everyone's help.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Hi Puck. Who told you the stone was overpriced?

Without knowing the crown height/angle & pavilion depth/angle it's hard to tell for sure, but there's every possibility that this stone is a very fine make, possibly an AGS "1", or AGA "1B".

If that's the case (and the grading is correct), the $9000 price tag is a fair price. Forget the $4000 to $7000+ qoutes you've seen. $8000 to $9000 is the range for this stone. Only a visual inspection will determine where in that range it falls.

If you like it, I would suggest haggling your best price, and then making the sale contingent upon confirmation from an independent appraiser, with right of return for ANY REASON. It's a reasonable request, and most sellers will go along with it.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
I just noticed that the diamond was graded by the GIA, so I don't think you have to worry about whether it was correctly graded or not.

DiamondOptics

Shiny_Rock
Hi Puckreg,

I hope your search goes well.

I just have on important tid bit on Vatch'e settings.

Vatch'e has a strick policy on price structuring.
All Vatch'e vendors are to observe a uniformed price
structure.

In other words, Vatch'e settings must be sold at the exact same price, no matter where you make the purchase.

Failure, for any vendor to observe these price structures,
will immediately forgo the consumers protection, and any garauntee's that are warranted by Vatch'e.

Buy Informed!

Kirk Konst

puckreg

Rough_Rock
Rich,
Thanks for your quick replies.

My rationale for the stone being overpriced is that it resembled the 'Medium' cut diamond found on the Ideal-scope section of the Pricescope website when viewed through a firescope (may not have been a firescope - but a similar product).

The jewelers willingness to negotiate on price was another indicator - she mentioned that if I brought in GIA certs and prices on comparable stones from online retailers, they will work to meet the prices found.

I understand that it is difficult to accurately price a diamond site unseen without crown height/angle & pavilion depth/angle measurements - can we use the 'Medium' cut as starting point for this stone?

Puckreg

puckreg

Rough_Rock
Kirk,

Thanks for the info! Will double-check the prices quoted from the jeweler and compare to online vendors prior to proceeding. Also, need to verify the ct. wt. of the xprong pave' that I saw.

Should I mention Vatche's defined price structuring to the jeweler? Or, If I find their price to be higher than what has been defined by Vatche' - should I bother reporting to Vatche' (or just use it as a negotiating tactic
3.gif
)?

Thanks again,
Puckreg

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
I see. It's nice to see you're using an IdealScope or FireScope to help you make your determination. It makes it easier to figure out where it falls, and puts you ahead of 99.9% of the buying public.

If this stone is similar to that image, I would suspect that it has a slightly deeper than ideal pavilion depth, creating the white area of leakage under the table.

Although Garry refers to this as a "medium cut", you have to be aware of the grading curve which he uses (little to none). This stone would probably still fall in the AGA 1B to 2A category, which is not chopped liver.

If that's the case, I would think you might be able to purchase in the low end of that range I mentioned. Somewhere in the $8000 neighborhood.

It would be a lot easier to determine if you could get the crown height/angle and pavilion depth/angle.

DiamondOptics

Shiny_Rock
"Should I mention Vatche's defined price structuring to the jeweler? Or, If I find their price to be higher than what has been defined by Vatche' - should I bother reporting to Vatche' (or just use it as a negotiating tactic )?"

Hi Puckreg,

Any dealer quoting prices other than what Vatch'e
clearly states, would be clearly violating the
consumers protection.

Vatch'e provides a life time garauntee, "only"
if their policies and price structures are observed.

If a vendor should decide to bend those rules.
Than any garauntee that Vatch'e would have otherwise
provided, takes a flying leap out the door.

Buy Informed!

Kirk Konst

mrbb

Rough_Rock
How can the customer be liable for the actions of the vendor not following Vatche's price structure? I am looking into buying a Royal Crown from Vatche, where can I get a copy of Vatche's policies? I could not find one on their website.

Thanks!
mr_bb
eek.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results