shape
carat
color
clarity

Fair price?

Mineral

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, been lurking for quite sometime and liked the overall atmosphere in this place.

To start my first topic off, I would like to know what is a fair price on a
1.70 vs1 h princess?
And a 1.6 vs2 h?
35.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/28/2010 11:06:15 AM
Author:Mineral
Hi everyone, been lurking for quite sometime and liked the overall atmosphere in this place.

To start my first topic off, I would like to know what is a fair price on a
1.71 vs2 h princess?
And a 1.6 vs2 h?
35.gif
Hi Mineral and welcome!

Glad you like us! We try hard to provide a friendly and welcoming atmosphere, thank you for letting us know we are achieving it.

As to your question, what are the lab reports for these diamonds, GIA? Also where are they for sale, online or store jeweller? This can influence price.

Mineral

Rough_Rock
The honesty kindness and intelect are truely remarkable on the site compared to other fourums.

The stones are from a reputable big city jewleey store, nothing corporate but more of a mom and pop family owned store located in a jewlees district. I''m still waiting a follow up email on what lab certification they are. From my knowledge and thought I don''t see the diffrence in the lab reporters, I mean a mineral is a mineral, so how can one certification credit or discredit a stone if that said stone has constant peoperties.
<---- waiting for backlash from my comment. Lol

I honestly don''t know how the gem institutes differ from each other.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
‘Fair price’ is a surprisingly tricky issue and it includes a significant element of what it’s worth to whom, when, and under what circumstances. If you have a specific deal you’re considering it’s easy enough to look it up in the database here and find dozens of comparable stones offered for sale from the dealers here. This will tell you what it costs in this little microcosm here. Even if you have no intention of buying from one of them this can be a useful tidbit of info. You can then decide if the deal you’re considering is worth more, less or similar to what’s here. As Lorelei points out, tiny details make a big difference in the diamond business and it would help a lot to narrow it down.

ETA: There's quite a bit beyond the raw mineral that goes into this.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/28/2010 11:21:43 AM
Author: Mineral
The honesty kindness and intelect are truely remarkable on the site compared to other fourums.

The stones are from a reputable big city jewleey store, nothing corporate but more of a mom and pop family owned store located in a jewlees district. I''m still waiting a follow up email on what lab certification they are. From my knowledge and thought I don''t see the diffrence in the lab reporters, I mean a mineral is a mineral, so how can one certification credit or discredit a stone if that said stone has constant peoperties.

Thats very kind of you to say so, thank you from all of us regulars! We do try to keep to high standards of behaviour here and we also try to be a real resource to consumers and provide a safe place for them to ask for advice.

If you can let us know what type of lab reports the diamonds have then we will be able to compare prices for you, the type of lab report has a big influence on pricing, generally GIA and AGS diamonds are considered to be the gold standard of lab grading and as such can command higher prices than other labs such as EGL, IGI and so forth. You can read more on how the grading labs rank in the link below,

https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/diamond-grading-report/

Mineral

Rough_Rock
Both stones (from my origional post) are EGL

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/28/2010 11:41:03 AM
Both stones (from my origional post) are EGL
Ok using the search tool above, these are prices of other stones of the same weight and specs as the first diamond, bear in mind these are for online diamonds, from brick and mortar stores often the prices will be higher.

1.70 H VS1 73.2% 73% EGL - vg vg no 6.61x6.58x4.82 $4410 $7497*SP
1.70 H VS1 73.7% 79% EGL no vg vg no 6.60x6.49x4.78 $5127 $8716*SP
1.70 H VS1 73.7% 79% EGL no vg vg 6.60-6.49x4.78 $5314 $9034*

1.60 H VS2, $6653*

You can try the search tool yourself, select Princess and enter your colour, clarity and carat then search all, this will bring up the prices of similar. Also within EGL labs, EGL USA are said to be the strongest of the EGL labs, other divisions such as EGL Israel can be less strict on grading so it is important to know which EGL lab graded the diamonds. I would make any sale contingent on the diamond checking out to your satisfaction in all respects with an independant appraisal.

Here is the appraisal tool you can use to find an appraiser in your area.

Mineral

Rough_Rock
Great tool to have on the site!
I was quoted a lesser price from a b&m jewler.
Il have to look onto the cut I guess and do some more research.

cara

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/28/2010 11:21:43 AM
... I mean a mineral is a mineral, so how can one certification credit or discredit a stone if that said stone has constant peoperties....

The carat weight and dimensions of the stone are measurable properties, but the labs issue ''opinions'' on the color and clarity grades. There is no uniform standard between labs, which can lead to price discrepancies between stones with the same ''grades'' when those grades were assigned by different labs. That EGL H/VS2 might have been graded I/SI2 by GIA, and the EGL H VS2 would generally have a lower price than a GIA graded H VS2 of the same size...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results