shape
carat
color
clarity

fair price per carat for an unheated yellow sapphire?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sweetleila

Rough_Rock
I know this is one of those questions that is difficult to answer without certs, and without specs on cut, and without images. I am very close to purchasing a large unheated intense pure yellow (no orange/green brown tones) sapphire next week. I have been looking for over a year now, so I know a stone like this is hard to come by. That being said, I''d like an idea of fair market price per carat, in this economic climate, so that I am as informed as possible before the potential big purchase next week.

I''ve been using NSC as a barometer of market price, but it seems their prices are higher than other dealers, even for poorly cut stones. Their stones range from $900 to $1500 per carat. Can anyone offer any insight?

Assuming cut, color, and clarity are near perfect, how would you price a 4.5 carat stone? An 8.5 carat stone? What if color and clarity are near perfect, but cut is not, then how would you price the two stones?

thank you SO MUCH for your help.

sweetleila

Rough_Rock
Would $1,000 per carat sound right?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A 4.5 ct top yellow sapphire Y5/5 would be at least $1K/ct and upwards.
A 8.5 ct top yellow sapphire Y5/5 would be priced closer to $2K/ct and upwards.

sweetleila

Rough_Rock
Chrono thank you so much for your help. I''m sorry, but I''m not sure what Y5/5 means. Does that mean yellow sapphire and clarity and cut are a five out of five?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am using the GIA grading scale of the purest yellow hue, top vivid saturation and medium to medium dark tone. Clarity isn't graded but the stone should be eye clean. Cut is also not graded.

This website provides detailed explaination of the colour grading. It's not the best system but is a good reference.
http://www.awesomegems.com/gemfacts.html#color-gia

sweetleila

Rough_Rock
Chrono thank you so much.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results