shape
carat
color
clarity

Fair Price? Need advice from Expert.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Meraj

Rough_Rock
I''m thinking of this round brilliant cut:
Depth 61.9
Table60
Girdle: Sl Thick to thick
Polish: VG
Sym: Good
VS2
E
Flour: Med blue
1.5 c
For $17k
GIA Cert
Is this a fair price or not from a brick & mortar? Another question I have is, how come some certs have prices listed on it???? I''m confused.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
I'm not sure about B&M price but in the internet you can find much better quality stones for much less.

For example, I found several AGS ideal cut diamonds (1.5 E VS1) listed in the Internet for several thousands less (from $12k to $15k).

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
The price is HIGH, even if you're buying locally. Alos, the cut isn't that good... Try to avoid thick girdles, as you're paying for something you can't see.

I'm not sure about what you mean when you say that some certs have prices on them... I guess you mean consultations of appraisal?

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
Grading certs from GIA and AGS have NO reference to $ or value of the stone graded...those that do are usually some form of "in house" quasi "appraisal" designed as a "feel good" promotion for the buyer, and are worth staying away from in my opinion.

You should be able to get a stone from a reputable internet vendor in your size (ct. wt.), color and clarity, which is an ideal cut, branded or unbranded Hearts & Arrows, beautifully performing for a few $K less than $17K - saving enough to probably pay for the setting.
appl.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Gary, maybe he/she saw some EGL/UGS/IGI paperworks??

Meraj

Rough_Rock
thanks for the quick responses. Yes, that is what I mean on IGI. Is IGI not a cert? Confused.

----------------
On 6/8/2003 3:49:50 PM Giangi wrote:

Gary, maybe he/she saw some EGL/UGS/IGI paperworks??
----------------

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Meraj, you should not confuse grading report (certificate) and appraisal.

Appraisal shows the price while grading report states gemstone' properties.

"Grading reports are not appraisals that tell you a diamonds worth, they give an independent expert opinion on its quality and can only be issued for a loose or unset stone. "[/u]

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
AJ;

IGI New York issues both diamond reports(''certificates'') and appraisals. An appraisal is basically a diamond report which includes a (bogus) replacement value. May I add that I don't trust IGI NY?? They're quite lenient. On the other hand IGI Antwerp --the head lab-- is very good.

Hope this helps
1.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Leonid... We posted at the same time... Sorry.

Meraj

Rough_Rock
Thank you experts.
Vendors have shown me the IGI which shows the value and then quoted me a selling price under what was shown on the report. So you don't think the IGI report will give me a ball park figure as to what I should be buying the diamond for, then how will I know what is the best price as the mark ups are between 25 to 100%?

Also, what color, and clarity in an 1.5 carat eight star diamond or GIA Ideal cut can I expect for about $17k to $18k? (again at a brick & mortar). Can I expect a GSA '0' grade with an E or F or is this asking too much for an 8* or Ideal 'O' cut???/

dragonsheart

Rough_Rock
that is alot of money to pay for a 1.5
naughty.gif

shop around. go to the stores, go to the book store on info on diamonds. But do not go to Zales!!
angryfire.gif
you will get ripped off at that store. try shopping on-line.
wacko.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results