shape
carat
color
clarity

Fair price for remounting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

knadsady

Rough_Rock
What is a fair price to pay to have an existing .35ct pear-shaped diamond remounted in a new 14k yellow gold solitaire with wht gold head/prongs? Also, how do I ensure that the diamond is not switched while it is being remounted?

knadsady

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice. I don't like to be paranoid, but I want to get a fair deal, without getting ripped off.There are certain professions I wish I had in the family - A jeweler, a car mechanic, a lawyer, etc!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
I agree - doctor, dentist, teacher and tailor. Who else?
smile.gif

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
If you didn't mind sharing your city and state, we may could tell you where a good local jeweler is that you can trust.Just a thought.......------------------

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The price of $100 is about standard. Some may be a little less, and others slightly more.When leaving the diamond have them do a quick plot of the imperfections and any blemishes that make your diamond unique. You should watch this while it's done, and have them point these indicators to you (now you both know). When you pick up the ring have them point the inclusions back out, and compare them to the plot (drawing).Most jewelers will not switch diamonds, and this act can be considered *very rare*. Can you imagine risking a million dollars (or more) over a few hundred (or thousand)? ------------------

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi Knadsady,My guess would be - about $100.
smile.gif
First that comes to my mind about switching is to check the plot of inclusions on the certificate (if your diamond has it of course).There are some other tricks though. Let's wait for the expert' opinions on this.

heel2005

Rough_Rock
I would like the names of a few good local jewelers so I can get my diamond set. I can get access to Jewelers in Fairfield County, CT (Stamford, CT) or Bergen County, NJ.Thank you.

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Hi heel2005,I don't know too many local jewelers up your way (although I am originally from Essex county), but I do have a friend who was very pleased with her experience at Grunberger Jewelers in Stamford. www.grunberger.com The owner's name is Jim and his goldsmith's name is Rupert. I imagine their custom-made rings are expensive, but I would guess that they carry or can get manufactured settings as well so you will have options.Their phone number is (203) 324-5167.I hope that helps,lawmax
smile.gif

moediamond

Rough_Rock
Hello. I am a diamond dealer as well as a model maker as well as a setter. A good price to have your stone remounted is $15 NO MORE!! It's a 5 minute job.....

pocketkeeper

Rough_Rock
This message is to the person that said they do remounts for $15 .. would you be interested in some business from me? I have several remounts to be done.. Thanks!!

babushka

Rough_Rock
I dont recommend them at all, very expensive with a lot of talking. actually not really special products
Im talking about Grunberger Jewelers mentioned above in Stamford. Right now Im moving to North Carolina. Anybody can recommend good place here?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results