shape
carat
color
clarity

fair price for old mine cushion cut ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gouloute

Rough_Rock
I''ve just bought a loose antique cushion cut 1,15 ct - Rather longer tnan large - seems to me I or J - One inclusion but really sideways, close to the girdle - deep culet - 4 extra facets (one on each side of the girdle) - Price 900 $. Does that seem a fair deal ?

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
I think this question should have been addressed before the purchase ? Also what clarity grade is it ? What Lab Graded the diamond?

If all we have is 1.15 I or J for $900 with only that to go by it sounds like a great deal.

So, to get a real answer , you must quit holding the other information hostage
1.gif

I know your a consumer and this is all new to you , so dont take this wrong, Im just being straight forward with my questions
1.gif

Here is a couple of pages I wrote on the subject to help you.http://www.midwestgems.com/oldmine20.html

Best Regards
The Iceman

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
It would be impossible to give advice without knowing more about the stone. If it were actually a great stone then that's an incredible price. However, that incredible price may be for a reason!

gouloute

Rough_Rock
Well, this is how it happened.
It was in an antique retail jewellery shop in Paris. The stone was on a setting (ugly one). The seller estimated the weight to approximately 0.80 ct, according to the length and width. He couldn't measure the depth due to the setting. Then the price was settled for the stone. I was hesitating, because I was rather looking for about 1 ct. So the man decided to unset the stone immediately, on the spot. Then we weighed the stone and it turned out to be 1,15 ct... but he kept the same price. So I didn't hesitate anymore, although the culet is really deep and consequently the stone looks rather smaller, from the top.
No lab graduated this stone, the colour is my estimation according to the many stones I have already seen (but I know I may be mistaken). I am a french gemologist. I think in France stones are rather underrated compared to USA.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Wow. An OMC is always going to be deep, but they're still priced by weight--not how big they look. Can you get a picture of the stone? I love OMCs and would love to see yours.

gouloute

Rough_Rock
Yes, I know about the depth of OMC. I can't help being a little bothered anyway because the stone does really look smaller than what I wanted. Even this professional seller was so surprised of the actual weight ! But clarity and colour are really better than I expected so all in all...
I'm not sure I'll be able to send a picture. I'm so impatient to wear it that I already have a setting being made... replica of an old one...pink gold for the loop, white gold for the prongs.
Thanks Mr Iceman. I went to the page you advised, then I realised I had already seen it (found it through Google).Re-read it all through,very interesting.
I just can't go away from that forum now I found it !

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results