shape
carat
color
clarity

Fair Price for Necklace Setting?

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hey everyone, I have some loose OEC and OMC stones that are around 15 points each and I want to make them into dainty necklaces for my boyfriend's mom and sister.
I was quoted $195 by a jeweler I've been going to and like. He works extremely quickly and the work is good.
The specs are 16" gold 14k gold chain (not sure of the weight but there are pictures below of a necklace I already own that its equivalent to), with a 3 prong setting (one stone per necklace).

this is the prong and attachment style I'm going for but with only one stone.
1078932_cu_xl.jpg

chain gauge image.
wwake6.jpg

Is $195 a fair price for materials and labor?

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
the cost of a chain and to set 3 diamonds in the settings, yes 200 is fine for the cost.

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
the cost of a chain and to set 3 diamonds in the settings, yes 200 is fine for the cost.

hi! I'm going to set just one stone per necklace. I may make one for myself later with more stones but for now one stone per necklace and $195 per necklace. Does that seem ok?

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The chain is 16 inches and looks like it will weigh less than 2 grams due to the chain delicacy. I would not spend 195 to set a 15 point stone in such a chain. That would be 600$ for maybe 5 grams of gold

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
https://www.jamminggems.com/cast-pre-notched-round-six-prong-standard-pendant-setting.aspx

They charge 13 dollars to set a stone you send to them and a white or yellow gold setting is under 30 for a 3 mm stone.
Then you can get a chain that you like for the setting.

I am sure there are other places that would be comparable for the settings and getting them set.

getting the stones set would be under 150 with shipping etc.

Then you can get a 14k chain for each in the length they need with a style you prefer.

Reactions: caf

acv123

Shiny_Rock
Premium
https://www.jamminggems.com/cast-pre-notched-round-six-prong-standard-pendant-setting.aspx

They charge 13 dollars to set a stone you send to them and a white or yellow gold setting is under 30 for a 3 mm stone.
Then you can get a chain that you like for the setting.

I am sure there are other places that would be comparable for the settings and getting them set.

getting the stones set would be under 150 with shipping etc.

Then you can get a 14k chain for each in the length they need with a style you prefer.

Wow, good idea! I'm looking into this site now. basically I just need a 3 prong setting with little bails/loops on each side for the chain..

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very fair.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Canada here. $50 to set each stone. Plus material. Can't touch your price.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results