shape
carat
color
clarity

Fair price 2 sell fncy yellow diamond Michael Christoff ring

Diamondboy11685

Shiny_Rock
Ok, so I have a .96 SI fancy yellow princess center with .75 halo and douple line shank with one gypsy set diamond to be worn facing out (all SI) that I'm considering selling. The piece is stamped Michael Christoff. It truly is a gorgeous piece. It's just a little smaller than I unusually like to wear. So currently it just sits in the box. I'm not trying to make a big profit on this piece. Just possibly find someone who this would be better suited for size wise, give them a fair price and receive a fair compensation. The ring was a gift to me, so I don't know exactly what was paid for it. I do know it was bought for me brand new from Michael's Beverly Hills salon. Any help from my PS peeps would be greatly appreciated. Like I said, I haven't completely made up my mind about selling it but am seriously considering it. I have never sold a piece before and want to inform myself before I try and make mistakes. Thanks again :wavey:

Diamondboy11685

Shiny_Rock
Re: Fair price 2 sell fncy yellow diamond Michael Christoff

Here's a stock photo
yellowdiamond.jpg
Here's a couple jewelry box shots

image_2971.jpg bottom left
image_2967.jpg top left here

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium

If you don't want to unload it at a pawnshop, think it will be a tough sell at virtually any price absent a trustworthy assessment.

if your prospective buyers have never heard of Michael Christoff & do a Google search (as I did because his name rang no bells for me), they won't find any web site for the business or street address and listed phone number (even the California Secretary of State has just a P.O. Box on file). And the distinct impression conveyed by the Google search results is that his jewelry was-is being sold to consumers, in the first instance, via TV auctions (with some critical comments from past buyers about the light weight of his rings).

America's Auction Network is where his new jewelry seems to be found nowadays (a few listings sprinkled in etsy, Craigslist, and eBay for second-hand pieces). This is the closest comparable -- new -- but details are scanty to non-existent & one is left clueless as to who decided the center diamond in this ring is "fancy yellow", the only representation, apart from weight, about any of the diamonds
http://www.aantv.com/page/inventory...ncy-Yellow-Diamond-Radiant-.59ctw-Dia-Rd-Ring

In short, what info is readily available doesn't seem like it would inspire much confidence in would-be buyers willing to shell out the money you probably are hoping for.

For your convenience, here is a roster of independent appraisers:
https://www.pricescope.com/appraisers

P.S. GIA will accept a mounted, colored diamond for analysis & issue an Identication & Origin report (includes color grade & treatment, or not) but only loose colored diamonds qualify for the more complete Grading Report with, e.g., clarity plotting.

Diamondboy11685

Shiny_Rock

MollyMalone|1429042523|3861836 said:
If you don't want to unload it at a pawnshop, think it will be a tough sell at virtually any price absent a trustworthy assessment.

if your prospective buyers have never heard of Michael Christoff & do a Google search (as I did because his name rang no bells for me), they won't find any web site for the business or street address and listed phone number (even the California Secretary of State has just a P.O. Box on file). And the distinct impression conveyed by the Google search results is that his jewelry was-is being sold to consumers, in the first instance, via TV auctions (with some critical comments from past buyers about the light weight of his rings).

America's Auction Network is where his new jewelry seems to be found nowadays (a few listings sprinkled in etsy, Craigslist, and eBay for second-hand pieces). This is the closest comparable -- new -- but details are scanty to non-existent & one is left clueless as to who decided the center diamond in this ring is "fancy yellow", the only representation, apart from weight, about any of the diamonds
http://www.aantv.com/page/inventory...ncy-Yellow-Diamond-Radiant-.59ctw-Dia-Rd-Ring

In short, what info is readily available doesn't seem like it would inspire much confidence in would-be buyers willing to shell out the money you probably are hoping for.

P.S. GIA will accept a mounted, colored diamond for analysis & issue an Identication & Origin report (includes color grade & treatment, or not) but only loose colored diamonds qualify for the more complete Grading Report with, e.g., clarity plotting.

Actually, I just did some digging myself. Michael closed his salon on olive street last year in 2014. I'm glad you're such an expert that you can grade diamonds through a computer screen. If you actually look, that information isn't very hard to find. I have had many jewelers, including other Beverly Hills designers look at his ring and they all said yes its fancy, yes it's all SI and all respected Christoff, especially Michael Beaudry when was I was in his salon two weeks ago to make a purchase. The name is secondary honestly. I was just trying to give all the specs on the piece. I'm also glad to see your' re already aware of my selling price too. Wow. You must be a psychic. Like I said before, I very well might keep this piece, because it is gorgeous. I wouldn't even have it if it was junk , hon.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Diamondboy11685|1429095716|3862124 said:

Actually, I just did some digging myself. Michael closed his salon on olive street last year in 2014. I'm glad you're such an expert that you can grade diamonds through a computer screen. If you actually look, that information isn't very hard to find. I have had many jewelers, including other Beverly Hills designers look at his ring and they all said yes its fancy, yes it's all SI and all respected Christoff, especially Michael Beaudry when was I was in his salon two weeks ago to make a purchase. The name is secondary honestly. I was just trying to give all the specs on the piece. I'm also glad to see your' re already aware of my selling price too. Wow. You must be a psychic. Like I said before, I very well might keep this piece, because it is gorgeous. I wouldn't even have it if it was junk , hon.

I think Molly gave you some pretty good advice. Anyone who is looking to buy is going to do similar searches. I'm an East Coast girl and I had never heard of that jeweler. Not to say your jeweler is bad I have a ring from Sareen Jewelry in So. CA that only one other person that I know of on PS has used and I love Adam's work. I think you will find the best you can hope for is 30% of retail but the appraisal that was suggested is a great place to start to know the true value and/or a certificate from GIA would be helpful. Since you are in the S. CA and they will graded it mounted it might be worth the expense if you hope to get the most from your items, if I was in the market for a fancy colored diamond I would want a GIA cert before I'd consider the item.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

A savvy buyer will want independent proof via GIA lab report that it is untreated and graded as Fancy Yellow for fair pricing because the yellow cup (or basket) can increase the perceived colour.

Diamondboy11685

Shiny_Rock

Chrono|1429099740|3862159 said:
A savvy buyer will want independent proof via GIA lab report that it is untreated and graded as Fancy Yellow for fair pricing because the yellow cup (or basket) can increase the perceived colour.
I get that, and if I do sell it I will certainly have it GIA graded. I haven't heard of sareen either. Honestly, I could personally care less about a designer stamp. It's about the quality of the stones and gold. I see people on loop trope selling non- GIA graded or any institute for that matter all day everyday for very, very high prices. I'm sure I could sell it without if I took better pics and actually tried. Like I said, these were just a couple of crappy photos I already had and a stock photo. I think some of you have the wrong idea. I'm not trying to get rich off this ring lol. It's a beautiful natural fancy yellow diamond ring (which is not debatable). Beverly Hills jewelers can spot enhanced and irritated diamonds from a mile away. Not to mention that Michael Beaudry is certainly GIA certified and he looped it and agreed. It's just a beautiful piece I don't wear much because of it's size. So let me rephrase my question... If everything is what I say it is and GIA agrees, what would something like this go for? Like I said at least twice, I only put the stamped name because unwanted to give all the specs. Personally, if he was a nobody and always had been I doubt he would have made the effort to stamp it with his no name... Just an after thought

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Diamondboy11685|1429095716|3862124 said:

Firstly - here's a ring very similar to yours:

http://www.aantv.com/page/inventoryitem/itemnumber/386967/t/18KW-MC-.93ct-Fancy-Yellow-Diamond-Radiant-.59ctw-Dia-Rd-Ring

Since you asked for price guesstimates, I agree that you won't get 50% of original listing. So, since we're spit balling, I'll go with 2k for listing. The double banded style is not much sought after, so I think it will be a tough sell. If they're mass produced, they're probably coming out of China, and settings similar can be bought online for around $700, give or take, with no center stone. You might do better unseating the stone and selling stone and setting separately.

Secondly - everything Molly gave you was useful and spoke to your question. She didn't try to guess color or price - she was giving you information so you could do that.

If you don't actually want to know, don't ask.

Here's a thread I pulled up talking about his rings. The general opinion is overpriced and light weight on the gold:

http://www.topix.com/forum/news/topix/TBLTU9PBBKLGL7KTR/p204

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

It's easy enough to find current auction and online listings to use as comps to set your price but it's important to remember that ASKING big bucks is not the same thing as getting it. Selling is a skill, and some people do a lot better at it than others. Would GIA paperwork help? Maybe, but I notice that most of your competitive sellers don't seem to bother. Most of the auction sites listed are not the sort that will take consignments. They buy closeouts from various sources, usually the manufacturer directly, and try to get a better price at auction. It's roughly the same business model as overstock.com. Unfortunately, they provide very little in the way of clues for how it's working out for them and provide zero information on what they paid the seller.

Ebay completed auctions (as opposed to current offers) can sometimes be helpful but when I look up Christoff I don't find much and even when you do it's important to bear in mind that just because THEY can get a particular price, doesn't mean that YOU can. Again, this is a skill and a lot of it has more to do with you than the merchandise.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40%7CR40&_nkw=michael+christoff&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&LH_Sold=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D1&_salic=1&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&LH_Complete=1

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

I agree with the others and Molly offered you some good advice/info. It sounds like you may need to lower your expectations a bit. I wish you luck on your sale:)

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Think you misunderstood the nature of Michael Beaudry's loupe examination. Irradiation, and the now more common HPHT color enhancement, can only be determined via specialized lab equipment. If these treatments were loupe-detectible, GIA probably wouldn't feel ethically obliged to laser-inscribe a notation on the girdle of diamonds it has determined were subjected to these treatments.

Diamondboy11685

Shiny_Rock

denverappraiser|1429105235|3862207 said:
It's easy enough to find current auction and online listings to use as comps to set your price but it's important to remember that ASKING big bucks is not the same thing as getting it. Selling is a skill, and some people do a lot better at it than others. Would GIA paperwork help? Maybe, but I notice that most of your competitive sellers don't seem to bother. Most of the auction sites listed are not the sort that will take consignments. They buy closeouts from various sources, usually the manufacturer directly, and try to get a better price at auction. It's roughly the same business model as overstock.com. Unfortunately, they provide very little in the way of clues for how it's working out for them and provide zero information on what they paid the seller.

Ebay completed auctions (as opposed to current offers) can sometimes be helpful but when I look up Christoff I don't find much and even when you do it's important to bear in mind that just because THEY can get a particular price, doesn't mean that YOU can. Again, this is a skill and a lot of it has more to do with you than the merchandise.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40%7CR40&_nkw=michael+christoff&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&LH_Sold=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D1&_salic=1&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&LH_Complete=1

thank you for actually answering my questions. I think it's pretty funny people think I have some kind of expectation with this ring. Like I have said three times now I haven't even decided to sell this ring yet. I have found a lot of people on here can be "haters" instead of giving friendly advice.

Diamondboy11685

Shiny_Rock

MollyMalone|1429106553|3862219 said:
Think you misunderstood the nature of Michael Beaudry's loupe examination. Irradiation, and the now more common HPHT color enhancement, can only be determined via specialized lab equipment. If these treatments were loupe-detectible, GIA probably wouldn't feel ethically obliged to laser-inscribe a notation on the girdle of diamonds it has determined were subjected to these treatments.

Highly skilled jewelers can spot treatments btw

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Diamondboy11685|1429107927|3862231 said:
I am sorry but this is not possible with only a loupe. If this were the case, then there is no need for the major labs to own and use the highly specialized equipment that cost thousands of dollars. As far as I know, only two machines can detect HPHT treatment in diamonds, which are the DiamondSure and the infrared spectrometer.

Diamondboy11685

Shiny_Rock

Chrono|1429108642|3862235 said:
Diamondboy11685|1429107927|3862231 said:
I am sorry but this is not possible with only a loupe. If this were the case, then there is no need for the major labs to own and use the highly specialized equipment that cost thousands of dollars. As far as I know, only two machines can detect HPHT treatment in diamonds, which are the DiamondSure and the infrared spectrometer.
I'm not here to prove anything to anyone. Was just trying to get some advice on the proper way to sell pieces. To me irradiated diamonds are a dead giveaway because of the hue which is very different from one of natural origin.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I guess it's all in the way we read things – I thought Molly's post was extremely helpful.

It's important to remember that even though GIA will grade stones in the setting – it is very difficult to sell a diamond with that type of report. It will be a split grade and look nothing like the report you get when you submit the diamond loose.

Also important to mention that no matter who looked at the ring – and whether or not they are a GG – that means nothing.
It is impossible to accurately grade a stone in a setting like the one you have.
I find this to be a common misconception – along with the one where people get an appraisal and they confuse it with a GIA report.

As Neil suggested, what you might see on some of the sites where people sell privately will not really be informative. As he mentioned it is very difficult to sell diamonds.
Some treatments are easy to spot with examination using a loop. But as mentioned not all – and any responsible person in the jewelry business would tell you this.
When a consumer is selling a diamond they're looking at taking up for a lower price than the same diamond being sold by established seller.
If you love the ring you will be much better off keeping it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It may not sound like it but we are trying to help you find the best way to sell your ring. Unfortunately, without knowing for sure what you have, it is difficult to price it and know the best avenue of sale, which is why many have adviced to first find out for sure what is the colour grading and treatment of the diamond. There is no need to prove it to anyone but the potential buyer. It might be easy to spot irradiated diamonds for the most part but this is not true for HPHT treated diamond. Knowing the actual colour grade of the diamond goes a long way in knowing how to price it as well.

Diamondboy11685

Shiny_Rock

Rockdiamond|1429108896|3862238 said:
I guess it's all in the way we read things – I thought Molly's post was extremely helpful.

It's important to remember that even though GIA will grade stones in the setting – it is very difficult to sell a diamond with that type of report. It will be a split grade and look nothing like the report you get when you submit the diamond loose.

Also important to mention that no matter who looked at the ring – and whether or not they are a GG – that means nothing.
It is impossible to accurately grade a stone in a setting like the one you have.
I find this to be a common misconception – along with the one where people get an appraisal and they confuse it with a GIA report.

As Neil suggested, what you might see on some of the sites where people sell privately will not really be informative. As he mentioned it is very difficult to sell diamonds.
Some treatments are easy to spot with examination using a loop. But as mentioned not all – and any responsible person in the jewelry business would tell you this.
When a consumer is selling a diamond they're looking at taking up for a lower price than the same diamond being sold by established seller.
If you love the ring you will be much better off keeping it.

I see people selling on Loupe trope everyday without GIA cert, and they're getting high dollar. Like I said before, if I do decide to sell this piece I will have a GIA report done. I was just trying to get a rough estimate on it if the color and clarity did match up with what my partner was told were used at time of purchase. The ring is beautiful. I certainly can't see any inclusions without a loupe. I've never sold a piece and was just looking for some advice. Not a lesson on auctions and treatments

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Diamondboy11685|1429109389|3862244 said:
I see people selling on Loupe trope everyday without GIA cert, and they're getting high dollar. Like I said before, if I do decide to sell this piece I will have a GIA report done. I was just trying to get a rough estimate on it if the color and clarity did match up with what my partner was told were used at time of purchase. The ring is beautiful. I certainly can't see any inclusions without a loupe. I've never sold a piece and was just looking for some advice. Not a lesson on auctions and treatments

Selling FCDs without a GIA lab report? If so, then you can use the LT pricing structure as a reference base to price your ring. If they are other coloured stones, many types are never treated, hence do not need any lab reports.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/deborahljacobs/2012/02/10/four-tips-for-selling-your-diamond-jewelry/
Having unrealistic price expectations for your diamond is the fastest way to disappointment with any ultimate sale. Beaty recommends two approaches to determining a shrewd price. First, if having an appraisal, ask how much the stone might be worth in specific markets and circumstances. “Discussing pricing strategies is about 80% of the benefit of an appraisal for resale customers,” he says. A good appraiser follows current market trends and can help you understand the potential resale value of your diamond.

Alternatively, do the legwork yourself. Look at prices of completed eBay sales for diamond jewelry with similar characteristics; check out comparable new diamonds in retail stores and online, and factor in a discount for your pre-worn jewel. Above all, remember that in most cases, “the only reason anyone will buy your diamond is because they’re either going to make a profit from it or because it’s a good bargain,” says Beaty. “Otherwise, they’d buy it new.”

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would recommend getting an appraisal from Neil. People trust him and would value his appraisal. It really doesn't matter what you see on LoupeTroop. Overpriced things won't sell. Furthermore, you are never seeing a final sales price on there as it is not listed. Negotiations are between buyer and seller and items sold are simply marked sold.

danielxlin

Shiny_Rock

This ring may move for around $1500 on Ebay. Lots of competition in the second hand market. And the Christoff name, if it ever meant anything, has been degraded by association with the TV auction networks.

Have to assume the diamond is irradiated or otherwise treated unless you have a GIA report. Those TV auctions take every shortcut in the book.

Diamondboy11685

Shiny_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1429110087|3862255 said:
I would recommend getting an appraisal from Neil. People trust him and would value his appraisal. It really doesn't matter what you see on LoupeTroop. Overpriced things won't sell. Furthermore, you are never seeing a final sales price on there as it is not listed. Negotiations are between buyer and seller and items sold are simply marked sold.
Thank you :wavey:

Diamondboy11685

Shiny_Rock

danielxlin|1429111121|3862275 said:
This ring may move for around $1500 on Ebay. Lots of competition in the second hand market. And the Christoff name, if it ever meant anything, has been degraded by association with the TV auction networks.

Have to assume the diamond is irradiated or otherwise treated unless you have a GIA report. Those TV auctions take every shortcut in the book.

I didn't get it from the TV or an auction. I just talked to my partner (he is in Japan on business so I wasn't able to confer with him before posting ) who said he actually bought it at 'Beverly hills jewelers' on Beverly Dr off of Rodeo. For some reason I thought he said he got it from the designers salon. I have personally bought pieces from them myself in person and all of their stuff is exquisite. Why would I have to assume that a highly sought after reputable jeweler in Beverly Hills would lie about a product they are selling. Sure, maybe the grade might be off a bit without official report, but I highly doubt they would risk their reputation over something this small.

Diamondboy11685

Shiny_Rock

Again, people keep bringing up "unrealistic price expectations". I never said a price, I never said I needed money. Why do people keep going there. How do any of you know what my expectations are for my ring lol. I honestly have no expectations when it comes to price expectations. I was just trying to figure out a fair price for the buyer if I did decide to sell it. I don't see how that is having unrealistic price expectations.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I see people selling on Loupe trope everyday without GIA cert, and they're getting high dollar.
Maybe. What you're seeing is people ASKING for a lot. How that's working out is an entirely different question. Take comps from there with a giant grain of salt. Even if you're watching carefully enough to notice that an item is listed and then is removed, it's a stretch to concluded that it therefore sold and that the transaction price was the asking price.

Diamondboy11685

Shiny_Rock

denverappraiser|1429113500|3862295 said:
I see people selling on Loupe trope everyday without GIA cert, and they're getting high dollar.
Maybe. What you're seeing is people ASKING for a lot. How that's working out is an entirely different question. Take comps from there with a giant grain of salt. Even if you're watching carefully enough to notice that an item is listed and then is removed, it's a stretch to concluded that it therefore sold and that the transaction price was the asking price.
Thanks

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock

If selling price isn't a consideration, perhaps you should give it to a friend, or donate it to a charity. There would be a potential tax write off if you did.

Diamondboy11685

Shiny_Rock

soberguy|1429114330|3862307 said:
If selling price isn't a consideration, perhaps you should give it to a friend, or donate it to a charity. There would be a potential tax write off if you did.
I'm forever giving away pieces to my mom and other friends/family. The thought did cross my mind, but since this was a gift from my partner. I think he'd rather me get at least something for it to put towards something else. Thanks for that input though, like I said the thought has definitely crossed my mind. I very well could end up going that route though. :wavey:

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock

If you go that route, return to the place of purchase and ask if you can trade it in for something else, or perhaps get store credit toward a future purchase.

danielxlin

Shiny_Rock

Just from a quick google search "Beverly Hills Jewelers" has some troubling negative reviews on Google reviews and Yelp. Misrepresentation of treated diamonds, etc. I have no idea if these allegations are true.

To be safe I would still assume the diamond is irradiated until otherwise verified by a credible authority.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results