shape
carat
color
clarity

Faint YELLOW Fluorescence

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Googleman

Rough_Rock
The search for my diamond has been going on far too long now. Anyway, I thought we were in the home stretch. We select an AGS certed stone, a little over 3 carats, H SI1 (very clean), AGS Ideal 0 on the cut. (I plugged the numbers into the HCA and it came out a 0.4.) The AGS cert said "Fluorescence: Negligible". I took this to mean faint fluorescence. Anyway, the stone is at the appraisers. (We have not yet purchased but had them ship it directly to the appraisers office.) We are meeting with him and looking at the stone. Everything about it looks good. Sparkly, eye clean (the appraiser said he would have given it a VS2 and that he thought AGS was a little hard on the clarity grading), true H in color. Then he tells us that the stone has faint YELLOW fluorescence!!! My heart sinks at this point. I thought we had finally found "the one" and now it has faint yellow fluorescence. The appraiser told us that the level was very low and that it most likely would never be noticeable to me, however the idea of yellow fluorescence is a little scary. I am confused because the AGS cert never noted that the fluorescence was yellow. I would think they would make note of that.

Anyway, am I overreacting to this?? Is this a reason not to buy the stone!?!? If I love everything else about the stone, should I just let this faint yellow fluorescence thing go, or is it something to worry about!?!?!

Googleman

Rough_Rock
I don't know if anyone is really interested, since my problem here deals with fluorescence, but here are the stats on the diamond:

AGS Certed
Cut Grade: AGS Ideal 0
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Proportions: Ideal
Color Grade: AGS 2.0 (H)
Clarity Grade: AGS 5 (SI1)
Carat Weight: 3.123 cts.
Comments: Fluorescence: Negligible

Table: 57%
Depth: 60.3%
Crown angle: 34.9
Pavilion angle: 40.5
Culet: very small
girdle: faceted 1.0-1.7%

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
A little fluor is nothing to worry about. It doesn't hurt the stone's value and doesn't affect the look of the stone.

I imagine differentiating between negligible and faint in a 3+ ct stone is difficult so I wouldn't let that small difference bother me.

Googleman

Rough_Rock
Bump. 24K on the line. Need a little more input. Thanks, RA! :)

Caratz

Shiny_Rock
You are going to see the appraiser. Ask him to show you an erert stone next to the yellow-fluorescent stone and ask him to point out the difference in normal lighting conditions, if there is any. Can he see any?

If I could tell a difference under normal lighting conditions, personally, I would pass on the stone. If not, I would would see it as a "golden" opportunity to haggle on price.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
If the stone received a "neglible" grade from AGS, it means the fluorescence is a non-issue.

A "neglible" fluorescence is difficult enough to see in a darkened room with an ultraviolet source held close to the stone, much less in everyday lighting conditions.

The stone sounds gorgeous. I wouldn't let a very minor detail stop you from buying it.

The price seems reasonable, by the way.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Ditto on Rich... Faint Yellow fluorescence is nothing to worry about!!!
The stone sounds VERY beautiful -- it may be just calling you! I wouldn't pass on it because of the fluorescence!
1.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Am I the only one who is concerned about the yellow fluor? In a stone this large w/ an H color rating, would the stone exhibit a more yellow hue?

It's no secret I am a huge fan of Bl. Fluor; but, I have always been told to stay away from yellow fluor unless it was a fancy yellow.

At the end of the day, your eyes are the only thing that matters.

trichrome

Shiny_Rock
No, no, no & no again.

Faint fluorescence is PERFECT in an H stone...
also only diamonds (& not zirconia) exhibit fluorescence...

Trichrome.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Trichrome, I'm sorry but I have to disagree. Most CZ's show very slight to medium yellow or orange fluorescence...

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 5/1/2003 11
6.gif
2:38 AM trichrome wrote:

No, no, no & no again.

Faint fluorescence is PERFECT in an H stone...
also only diamonds (& not zirconia) exhibit fluorescence...

Trichrome.
----------------

Tric, she's talking about yellow fluor. A completley different look than bl. fluor which can counter-balance yellow body color to face up whiter. If you have a large stone which may have a tad body color at an H, the yellow would promote such body color - not counteract it.

The question in my mind is how faint the yellow fluor is. And, a visual would be the only way to tell. How strongly does Rich & Giangi disagree with me? I would be curious. As a consumer, I would shy away unless my eyes told me differently.

trichrome

Shiny_Rock
Giangim

I was talking about blue fluo of course.

Trichrome.

Googleman

Rough_Rock
Thanks to all who posted. So, you may be wondering, what is the outcome? I don't know. Visually, I don't see anything wrong with the stone even though it is exhibiting faint yellow fluo. It was really quite stunning-very sparkly and beautiful. I don't think I would have even noticed any yellow fluo had I not been told. But hearing those words can freak you out. Anyway, I have told my boyfriend, who will be the one ultimately doing the proposing, to make the decision. I trust his judgement explicitly so I am leaving it up to him. Anyway, I want it to be a little bit of a surprise. I will let you all know what happens when I find out!
2.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
googleman, I know it has been a long road. At the end of the block, it truly is just your eyes. Make sure you tell us about the proposal.

Best Wishes in advance.

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
fire&ice & Googleman,

I totally agree with Rich on this one.

Negligible means just that...It is a non-issue.

I don't know where you found this HCA 0.4 but I would take it a run. It sounds like a keeper!

Caratz

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 5/1/2003 5:58:47 PM Googleman wrote:

Thanks to all who posted. So, you may be wondering, what is the outcome? I don't know. Visually, I don't see anything wrong with the stone even though it is exhibiting faint yellow fluo. It was really quite stunning-very sparkly and beautiful. I don't think I would have even noticed any yellow fluo had I not been told. But hearing those words can freak you out. Anyway, I have told my boyfriend, who will be the one ultimately doing the proposing, to make the decision. I trust his judgement explicitly so I am leaving it up to him. Anyway, I want it to be a little bit of a surprise. I will let you all know what happens when I find out!
2.gif

----------------

You "want it to be a little bit of a surprise?" After he's already taken you to see the stone???!!! That's a tough challenge!

Googleman

Rough_Rock
Caratz:
Yes, I've seen the stone. But the surprise being, more or less, did he decide to buy it or not?!?!? Sort of silly, maybe!
1.gif
But I won't know for sure until he does (or doesn't) put that one on my finger.

Dimonbob:
The stone came from you guys, at Whiteflash. Lesley has been helping my boyfriend with this.
1.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
The question in my mind is how faint the yellow
fluor is.
-----------

Hiya F&I. If it's faint enough to receive a "negligible" grade from AGS, then it's miniscule. A freckle on Demi Moore's body.

-----------
How strongly does Rich & Giangi disagree with me?
I would be curious.
-----------

I honestly think there's no cause for concern whatsoever. I would never be able to detect a "negligible" fluorescence in any other environment than a darkened room directly under a strong ultraviolet source. I'd never in a million years be able to spot it in natural lighting of any sort.

-----------
As a consumer, I would shy away unless my eyes told
me differently.
-----------

Your eyes would tell you differently. To drop this stone because of a minor unseen gemological characteristic would be a shame, for as DimonBob points out, this stone should be a "screamer". They're not easy to find.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Fire&Ice... As others have said, this stone has very slight fluorescence, slight enough to be negligible and it doesn't affect the price. With such a perfect cut, I think the stone is really worth a try. I know you love med/strong blue fluorescence... I think it's very cool too...
1.gif

Trichrome... I'm sooooooo sorry! I misunderstood you!

Rich... Once again, great minds think alike!
1.gif
9.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Trichrome... Just saw on another thread that you've italian origins... I'm in Italy too! Do you speak italian? (or Parli italiano? if you prefer,lol!)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results