shape
carat
color
clarity

Faint fluorescence on D color diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Melanie611

Shiny_Rock
I''ve read that it can lower the price of a high colored diamond. But what, if any, affect does faint (per GIA cert) fluorescence have on the appearance of a D color diamond?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 3/25/2004 5:39:12 PM Melanie611 wrote:

I've read that it can lower the price of a high colored diamond. But what, if any, affect does faint (per GIA cert) fluorescence have on the appearance of a D color diamond?
----------------

Influence.. none. And it may have no impact on price either. Medium fl. surely does, and it should not show in any way under normal lighting. I am saying ths based on statistics: you could be the one exceptional person who can see some impact of medium blue fluorescence and actually dislike it. There is a statistically nil chance for this
1.gif

(you may want to refer to GIA research on fluorescence perception for the origin of this statement, such as WWW)

antonia

Rough_Rock
Its a personal thing really. Check out some stones and see if you like, or can even tell that they have florescence.

They say blue florescence will only make your diamond look better in sunlight! And if they charge you less for it, look at it as a bonus!

People generally stear away from strong florescence unless buying a J,K,L etc i.e. slightly yellowish stones because the strong blue florescence can make them look less yellow.

I'm not an expert, but this is what I have read around...

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Faint fluorescence is essentially nothing more than an "identifying characteristic".

LScianname

Rough_Rock
I had an H diamond years ago that was nice indoors, but in the sun it looked so foggy and oily...I couldn't keep it clean enough. I clean my diamond every morning. But this rock just won't keep clean ... sure enough, brought to my diamond jewellery and sure enough he said it had flourescence....eventually upgraded ... and big difference. Still clear and sparkly..no matter what the lights are...

Kay

Ideal_Rock
I have a D colored diamond with medium blue fluorescence. My appraiser thought the stone looked even whiter than a typical D -- if that's possible. The stone looks incredibly clear, there is no haze or oily appearance. I also love the steely blue cast it seems to take on sometimes in bright sunlight. I want fluor in any future diamonds I purchase -- it's such a bonus that a feature I like tends to reduce the price!

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
HI I have a D with med blue fluoro as well...and there are no issues...

SInce the one you describe has 'faint' it should not be an issue...

when stone have strong or very strong blue fluoro is when you may have issues...with cloudy/milky appereance in strong sun...but not necessarily even then...

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
I have an E color with medium blue fluorescence. I have never noticed any negative impact on the look or color of the stone at all. I would imagine that "faint" would not be an issue at all.

DiamondLil

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
30-40 years ago you would have paid more for a diamond with high color and strong blue fluoro.
They were called "blue white" diamonds and it was only that charlatans jumped on the band wagon and sold low colored fluoro diamonds as blue white that the fed trade laws people stepped in and outlawed the use of the term.

mdx

Brilliant_Rock
Just for your general interest
Except for very few instances All diamonds have fluorescence especially when stimulated by X rays. This is an extremely important characteristic for miners using high tonnage plants, where X-Ray identification is the primary sorting method.
For diamond grading purposes the basis of measurement is in the Ultra violet wavelength (Electromagnetic radiation at wavelengths shorter than the violet end of visible light)

Johan

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results