shape
carat
color
clarity

Factors for lab old cuts?

plad25

Shiny_Rock
What factors should be considered for lab old cuts? I havent bought a lab before, and not sure how it changes the process. I own multiple mined old cuts (or newly cut to old style), but have never bought any with just the rotating 360 video. Things to look for? Do you just have to purchase and assess yourself?

I am interested in lab OEC, OMC, and vintage elongated cushion. First choice being OMC around 8mm Are the DG labs worth it? I have a mined AVR but so confused and overloaded about lab versions versus cost.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly the same things that apply for earth mines old cuts apply to lab. Do the facets turn on and off as you move the stone, are there any that are always on or always off, is it the pattern you like etc?

plad25

Shiny_Rock
Honestly the same things that apply for earth mines old cuts apply to lab. Do the facets turn on and off as you move the stone, are there any that are always on or always off, is it the pattern you like etc?

Thanks! Maybe I'm just overthinking it. Or just not feeling the typical style/lighting of the 360 videos.

Any of these bad apples?

Option 1
Option 2
Option 3
Option 4

plad25

Shiny_Rock
Also, is it just me or does it seem like the "on hand" photos on Lauren B's site for antiques isn't showing the same stone as the closeup.

Does this LGD in the two videos look like the same stone?

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks! Maybe I'm just overthinking it. Or just not feeling the typical style/lighting of the 360 videos.

Any of these bad apples?

Option 1
Option 2
Option 3
Option 4

I like the cuts of 1 through 3. It's too hard for me to gauge the quality of #4 from the video. I would rule out #2 because of the internal graining. Maybe #3 as well. I think I would like to see a video of that diamond in sunlight and under spotlight. Hope that helps.

plad25

Shiny_Rock
I like the cuts of 1 through 3. It's too hard for me to gauge the quality of #4 from the video. I would rule out #2 because of the internal graining. Maybe #3 as well. I think I would like to see a video of that diamond in sunlight and under spotlight. Hope that helps.

Is this the internal graining that you're seeing in #2? Trying to learn.

1694706534966.png

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is this the internal graining that you're seeing in #2? Trying to learn.

1694706534966.png

Yes. I see it all through the stone. Not sure how it affects optics in this particular stone but it might make the stone look hazy in sunlight or less sparkly under spotlight.

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
@plad25 I found one that I am no longer going with. Is in between 8.5mm and less than 9mm too large? Just let me know if you are interested. I have an old listing on Loupetroop under the same username and could give you the information if you reach out to me there. Good luck in your search!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results