shape
carat
color
clarity

Facet sample box

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
I thought you might enjoy this. It belongs to my wire wrapping teacher at the lapidary club who is also a judge for the International Faceting Challenge held every two years.

I believe the majority were cut by her partner and although most are that optical stuff it does contain a smokey quartz (C2R4) and an amethyst (C8R4)so I hope it's allowed :naughty: Unfortunately I didn't realise that some of them weren't straight so there are a few tilt windows :((

I'm going to try and upload BIG photos so that - hopefully - if you click on the pic it will open full size (though I wouldn't try it on a mobile).

If you have any questions, I'm seeing her tomorrow so I may be able to get answers :)) Okay...here goes...nope that didn't work so hand on while I resize them.

_40.png

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see the file names but no pics. :confused:

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Hang on Chrono - I'm trying to get them as big as possible.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Let's see if this size works

facet-box-index-1.png

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see it now. I am able to magnify the picture large enough to read the gem description but cannot see the faceting on the stones well enough. :blackeye:

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock

facet-box-stones-2.png

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, still cannot make out the facet pattern. Too many stones so it is impossible to capture such detail.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm...I might have to do it in two halves. Columns 1-4

Is this any better?

facet-box-stones-c1-c4.png

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy,
Groups of 4 to 6 will be better. :tongue: These old eyes don't see very well, you know?

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Okay....go have a cup of coffee while I crop/resize/reload :bigsmile:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's pretty late here and since I like my coffee strong, it's not a good idea for a cuppa right now. I'll try to wait quietly though. :snore:

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
How's this? I think it's probably the best I can do :(( I know some of them are blurry.

facet-box-index-c1c4-r1r3.png

facet-box-stones-c1c4-r1r3.png

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1351477136|3294533 said:
It's pretty late here and since I like my coffee strong, it's not a good idea for a cuppa right now. I'll try to wait quietly though. :snore:

You are so polite to wait so quietly :praise: :saint:

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Below that lot...c1 to c4 and rows 4 and 5

facet-box-index-c1c4-r4r5.png

facet-box-stones-c1c4-r4r5.png

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Aaaaw...you're a sweetie for waiting but I understand if you want to wait till tomorrow.

Back to the top and over to columns 5 to 8 and rows 1 to 3

facet-box-index-c5c8-r1r3.png

facet-box-stones-c5c8-r1r3.png

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Below that - c5 to c8 and rows 4 to 5

facet-box-index-c5c8-r4r5.png

facet-box-stones-c5c8-r4r5.png

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Very blurry I'm afraid :((

facet-box-index-c9c10-r1r3.png

facet-box-stones-c9c10-r1r3.png

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Okay...last lot. I'm sorry you can't see much, what a pity.

facet-box-index-c9c10-r4r5.png

facet-box-stones-c9c10-r4r5.png

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm...this is the last two columns altogether and cropped from an iPad pic

samples-h2-c9c10-r1r5.png

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Surprisingly, the last one (not as closely taken) shows the faceting better. Thanks for trying, Starzin. :appl:

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Yes it's a pity that I didn't pay more attention to making sure that they were all straight. I also think I cropped them from the wrong master pic :lol: oh well.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
I'm loving that petal cut - seems like a good choice for a low RI stone. I wonder how it fares with tilt window......

Enjoyed the pics Starzin, thanks for putting that together.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you Cellentani - here's the other pic of it with me shading it from the daylight through the door behind me and one with light hitting it.

petal-cut.png

petal-cut-2.png

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I WANT THE CARDINAL CUT (but in a "real" gemstone)! :lol:

Thanks for sharing this Starzin. Some lovely unusual cuts. Wouldn't it be wonderful to be able to create all of these?

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Some very nice cutting. I'm always puzzled however by people cutting glass. After spending several hours or more, it's a shame to have a "stone" beautifully cut, that really has almost no worth, except the sentimental value to the person who cut it.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
LD - sorry I can't help you out! :bigsmile: I looked and I don't even have a better photo of that stone, I think because it's very dark. Nope, I have no interest in all that math so I really appreciate those who do it for us! :lol:

Gene - I have no idea really (the guy is no longer alive) except to say perhaps that he was more interested in the cut than what he was cutting and I also think they were teaching stones so perhaps the optical glass serves that purpose best? But I agree with you in that it would have been nice for them to have been "real".

But I do covet this little boxful - - it's an absolute sparklefest! :love:

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm...I've just realised there might be a colour changer in there but it's description is the one that's crossed out - whatever might be? It's the middle one.

brownish.png

pinkish.png

_44.png

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it because it is easier to facet optical glass? You have a perfectly clean and colourless material to work with. No concerns about pleochroism or maximizing colour or zoning.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
I'm sorry but I really have no idea, perhaps Gene can answer otherwise I can ask the owner Saturday when I see her.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results