shape
carat
color
clarity

Face up: AV Round vs. AV Cushion?

Gayletmom

Brilliant_Rock
As I continue to obsess over my upgrade (hopefully not too far in the future) I'm regularly drawn to the August Vintage stones from GOG. I love the cushions but am also thinking of an AV round. I sometimes wear an OEC on my right hand and I just adore it so I think I might go either way. I do appreciate a little size and am wondering if an AV round and an AV cushion of similar carat weight will face up similarly? Do you guys think the AV round will look bigger than the AVC?

I could email the GOG folks and ask them but it's so much fun to discuss here!

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Gayletmom said:
As I continue to obsess over my upgrade (hopefully not too far in the future) I'm regularly drawn to the August Vintage stones from GOG. I love the cushions but am also thinking of an AV round. I sometimes wear an OEC on my right hand and I just adore it so I think I might go either way. I do appreciate a little size and am wondering if an AV round and an AV cushion of similar carat weight will face up similarly? Do you guys think the AV round will look bigger than the AVC?

I could email the GOG folks and ask them but it's so much fun to discuss here!

About the same would be my rough estimation, depends on the depth of both and how rounded the edges are of the cushion.
You could ask Rhino to report the Octonus Spread for the 1.57 AVC and 1.58 AV round for a comparison. But I think they will be within 5% of one another.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hard to say.
There are two aspects: (ignoring the spread can of worms)
1. The exact area, as calculated mathematically.
2. Whether shapes result in an optical illusion that influence eye and brain's perception of size.

IOW, even if you placed a round and a cushion side by side that were selected to have the exact same area, they may not seem the same.

BTW it is easy to calculate the area of a circle or square but, because of the changing curves of the edges, calculus is needed to know the area of a cushion.
I hate when I have to do calculus. :((

antelope1

Brilliant_Rock
I've seen both cuts in person and have a personal preference for the AV round. The AV cushion (when it has a culet) has a long narrow culet. When it doesn't have a culet, it looks like a big mirror on the bottom (great light performance), but ... too good? I could almost see parts of my own face (definitely my skin tone reflecting back), which I didn't like.

The AV round like like a super nice, very bright OEC with a really clear facet pattern that is pleasing to the eye (in addition to having good brilliance). If we could have gotten it in a middling color (they all seemed to be D's or K or lower at the time), it would have been the one.

lovemybling

Brilliant_Rock
After watchng the video it seems to me the cushions face up bigger. But it really come downs to your prefference of the stone. I have short small hands and for me I like a more elongated or rectangle stone. So I would lean to a cushion. :bigsmile:

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You may find this interesting. Here is the average diameter of the 1.57ct August Vintage Round. 7.31mm vis all the dimensions measured. Note the "average diameter".

avrspread.jpg

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here's the same results with the 1.58ct August Vintage Cushion. 7.27mm average diameter. Virtually no spread difference.

The reason for this is that the DiamCalc software takes into account all of the measurements of the cushion including corner to corner as well as side to side and is, in my professional opinion a true representation of real estate taken up on the hand too.

We were recently showing comparisons of generic vintages alongside of AVC's and something my client pointed out was the size/spread differences from generic to AVC were notable. The Diamcalc brings these facts out.

avcspread.jpg

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Its interesting you say that the eyes can be deceived I guess.
For these two stones according to the most accurate Octonus spread in carats, the round should faceup about ~7% larger.

Gayletmom

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much for the info and the links. All very helpful.

Rhino, you flagged my follow-up question: how do the AV stones face up compared to OECs and OMCs (we'll be generalizing, of course)? I would be interested to hear the opinion of the client you mentioned.

Gayletmom

Brilliant_Rock
kenny said:
Hard to say.
There are two aspects: (ignoring the spread can of worms)
1. The exact area, as calculated mathematically.
2. Whether shapes result in an optical illusion that influence eye and brain's perception of size.

IOW, even if you placed a round and a cushion side by side that were selected to have the exact same area, they may not seem the same.

BTW it is easy to calculate the area of a circle or square but, because of the changing curves of the edges, calculus is needed to know the area of a cushion.
I hate when I have to do calculus. :((

Thanks, Kenny. I think that you bring up a good point. For me it's all about my perception.

And I'm impressed that you can still do calculus. I long ago filed it in "things I don't need to remember".

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results