shape
carat
color
clarity

F/G or I/J?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

roppongi

Shiny_Rock
I just got back from looking at a few loose stones for my eternity band. I was shown two separate parcels....each stone was roughly 43 points. If you could choose between having a F/G colored eternity band or an I/J which would you choose? The cost between the two would be significant so if I went with the I/J colored I would save a few thousand dollars. I could definitely see the warmth of the I/J colored stones, especially when I paired it with my 3 stone ring. It didn''t bother me today, as I was quite excited...I''m just thinking down the road would the color bother me? My ring size is 4.25 and they think I will need 13 stones for a total weight of 5.60.

Thoughts are appreciated.

Roppongi

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
F/G

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
F/G for me too.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thritto on the F/G.

TaraLeigh

Rough_Rock
I love to save money..... but F/G for me too.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
F/G

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm. Of those two choices I would do F/G as well. Although I might inquire about H? HI or GH. It may be a middle ground price.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmmm, assuming these are well-cut stones....I would probably save the money and go with I/J. I purchased a five-stone band with four I's and one H and I find them to be quite white looking. The stones are about .31 each and my ring size is 4.5, so it's a similar look as your band except not eternity. Here are some pictures if you want to see. They really aren't representative of the color though because my house is filled with yellow walls. In the pictures with the red background, these are a bit more representative of the color in most settings. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-wf-5-stone-u-shaped-amazing-wedding-band.54795/

However, if money isn't a factor...then go F/G. To me though, a few thousand is a pendant, earrings, etc.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, help me make sure I understand the reactions here. Everyone is saying F/G because roppongi can see the difference in color when the stones are side-by-side with her existing three stone ring, right?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of those two choices, I''d go with F/G, but as someone else already said, H color is a nice compromise between those two options.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
It''s hard to imagine that the color difference would be that discernable once the stones were set.....especially in stones this small.

I would likely go with the I/J myself.

However, if you''re convinced that you''ll still see the difference (whether it''s becuase you really do, or because your mind tells you you should), then go with F/G.

Rock Candy

Brilliant_Rock
Personally, I''d pick the F/G as I am very color sensitive. Also, if I were roppongi I''d probably always second guess myself with the color discrepancy between the "new" ring and the colors in my existing ring.

Since there is a significant monetary difference, could you come closer in color to the I/J and go with G/H?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2007 8:17:26 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
OK, help me make sure I understand the reactions here. Everyone is saying F/G because roppongi can see the difference in color when the stones are side-by-side with her existing three stone ring, right?

That''s why I said it.

roppongi

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all for your opinions.

Just before I left work I asked my jeweler to see if he can get any H colored stones as well. I will then pick up a few G''s and H''s and perhaps an I or two. I''m pretty sure that this ring will be worn a lone. I plan to have it set in platinum in a shared prong setting, I was debating a U prong setting (like KCoursolle), but have decided against it.

Husband asked me what I plan to do with the other eternity bands and I said, "nothing." He said, "they''ll never be worn again, you might as well recycle them into something you''ll wear." Perhaps I''ll be able to get an eternity band, and a DBTY necklace out of this deal
2.gif

Thank you again for your feedback. I''ll let you know what transpires.

Roppongi

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey girl. Your 3-stone center diamond is F color, right? I probably wouldn''t go lower than H. I''m betting that Gs and Hs would give you the best balance between color match and $$$.
1.gif
Can''t wait to see what you come up with!

diamondtifff

Shiny_Rock
I would do the F/G....I have learned from experience, numerous times, and wasted alot of money.......... that if something bugs me just the least bit in the beginning before I even have it, and I dont listen to my gut and try to cut costs, then once I own it, then the little thing that bugged me suddenly gets worse and WORSE!! And eventually I end up re-doing it and spending more in the end. But thats just me and I know I am a LOON!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
H to I color is what I''d call the best combination of price and appearance. You do get "more" with better colors and "less" with weaker colors, but not a lot for one grade difference. The price difference can be quite the other story with wide price differentials between color grades.

Use your eyes and make sure you can afford to spend more before you take the plunge for higher colors. Many people are VERY please with I color stones.

To me, whatever makes YOU pleased works, but I am not the one paying for it. Be sure you agree on a purchase to insure continued happiness with it.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2007 9:16:12 PM
Author: aljdewey
It''s hard to imagine that the color difference would be that discernable once the stones were set.....especially in stones this small.

I would likely go with the I/J myself.

However, if you''re convinced that you''ll still see the difference (whether it''s becuase you really do, or because your mind tells you you should), then go with F/G.
ditto.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
lucky you to get both the ring and the necklace. i tend to agree with what kristy darling posted.

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/11/2007 12:00:40 AM
Author: diamondtifff
I would do the F/G....I have learned from experience, numerous times, and wasted alot of money.......... that if something bugs me just the least bit in the beginning before I even have it, and I dont listen to my gut and try to cut costs, then once I own it, then the little thing that bugged me suddenly gets worse and WORSE!! And eventually I end up re-doing it and spending more in the end. But thats just me and I know I am a LOON!
I agree with diamondtifff, if it bugs you now, then don''t do it, pay the extra and go for F/G. However, as suggested, check out the middle ground too (G/H).

Good luck.

kkarpeles

Rough_Rock
which one did you go for? I''m in the same boat. My e ring is an F which I will be wearing on the other hand. But I want at least 5+ carats. All the research makes me confused but I guess the cut in combination with the other C makes the diamond jump . Let me know how it went may be you can help me. Thanks-

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/12/2007 1:51:35 PM
Author: kkarpeles
which one did you go for?
I was wondering that too!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results