shape
carat
color
clarity

Eyes on this emerald please?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I bought this diamond on Ritani, after combing through 30942398724874621982347394 lab diamond emeralds between 2-3 carats, approximately. Just an estimate of how many I looked at. I wanted between 9x5 and 10x6, which is apparently an unusually long shape, though I did look at a lot of ones that are wider.

Is there anything bad spottable from this? Anything specifically I should be looking out for when I get it like possible haziness or gray tint? I tried to eliminate anything I thought might have that in my search but I haven't bought an individual lab diamond like this yet so I'm not sure if I'm interpreting pics correctly.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@DejaWiz @Karl_K @Kim N ? Not sure who else would be good for advice on lab diamonds in general and/or emerald cuts. It looks sparkly to me in the video but I haven't bought an emerald cut before ever!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hi, distracts!

after combing through 30942398724874621982347394 lab diamond emeralds between 2-3 carats

Holy smokes they have reeeeally expanded their inventory!

Is there anything bad spottable from this? Anything specifically I should be looking out for when I get it like possible haziness or gray tint? I tried to eliminate anything I thought might have that in my search but I haven't bought an individual lab diamond like this yet so I'm not sure if I'm interpreting pics correctly.

I don't see anything negative in regards to weird hues. I'm not sure if there's going to be too much contrast and maybe some windowing based on the video...it may be something you'll need to see with your eyes in your everyday viewing and lighting conditions.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The still shot just plain looks odd, but the video shows the stone has potential and does not show what the still image is showing.
It is hard taking pictures of emerald cuts because they want to give you a tour of their environment and show things a mrb never will.
There is definitely something brown in the environment.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Holy smokes they have reeeeally expanded their inventory!

I don't see anything negative in regards to weird hues. I'm not sure if there's going to be too much contrast and maybe some windowing based on the video...it may be something you'll need to see with your eyes in your everyday viewing and lighting conditions.

Lol I did look at several other websites as well.

I will keep what you said in mind. I didn't post this until Ritani confirmed the diamond was on its way to them so I should have it... whenever that happens. I'll try to share video.

I didn't know emerald cuts could have TOO MUCH contrast. So many of the videos looked... not contrasty. Re: windowing, I tend to like videos of shallower emerald cuts more, so I tried to set the search to a depth I thought might be less likely to have windowing.

re: weird tints, I was trying to find a blue nuance diamond at first because I'd really like to see one of those, and some people on reddit keeps saying Ritani has "reject diamonds" but I found only 1. And it was an oval. With a bow tie. I thought about ordering it just to see what it was like in person but then decided to hold out for a better cut and not order something I knew for 100% that I would be returning.

The still shot just plain looks odd, but the video shows the stone has potential and does not show what the still image is showing.
It is hard taking pictures of emerald cuts because they want to give you a tour of their environment and show things a mrb never will.
There is definitely something brown in the environment.

lol yes, emeralds do that. A lot of the still shots of lab diamonds are these super weird angles where it's like - why would you give me that pic? Some are of the BACK. Sometimes they'll have a diamond with a picture of only the back and NO video. I've seen this on multiple websites. I don't know what supplier/photographer is doing this but it's a puzzling choice. Maybe the pics are automatically pulled from the videos and nobody ever looks at them? It's weird.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@DejaWiz @Karl_K @Kim N ? Not sure who else would be good for advice on lab diamonds in general and/or emerald cuts. It looks sparkly to me in the video but I haven't bought an emerald cut before ever!

I don't see any CVD issues. When will you receive it? Looking forward to hearing how it performs in person.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
My non-fancy, generically layman's opinion is it looks lovely and quite nice when it moves. Congratulations on sorting through such a vast sea of emerald cuts. How are you going to set it? :)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the video looks positive...agree with @Karl_K ...the picture not so much. Let us know what you think when you get it @distracts !

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't see any CVD issues. When will you receive it? Looking forward to hearing how it performs in person.

The webpage said estimated delivery Feb 11, but who knows how real that actually is. Since I've seen a number of people on here have the "ooops, that diamond is unavailable" issue with Ritani, I was fully prepared for that to happen and to have to go to my next choice but I got the email that the diamond is secured and I'll get another email when it ships to Ritani.

There are so many CVD diamonds that look blurry or grainy to me, even at higher price points and from supposedly discerning sellers. I ideally would have gotten an HPHT diamond but they're harder to find, I got tired of clicking through to lab reports, and the ones I did find were often more included than the CVD ones in the same price range. I was originally doing this shopping in September and October but was really indecisive then got distracted by other things, and the availability was different then and I could find more HPHT diamonds. Should have gone ahead and picked one then!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My non-fancy, generically layman's opinion is it looks lovely and quite nice when it moves. Congratulations on sorting through such a vast sea of emerald cuts. How are you going to set it? :)

Sholdt semi-bezel, east-west, is the plan!

I have coveted an emerald set east-west in a Sholdt semi-bezel since seeing @woofmama's set, but I can never bring myself to spend the money on earth mined diamonds when I looked at what I could just get in terms of my color gem wishlisit instead. Pretty pleased about lab growns becoming less expensive so I can fulfill some diamond wants without feeling like I'm taking away from my other-gem wishlist!

@woofmama's set:
upload_2019-1-25_22-59-25.png

Another I quite liked that's the same look with a more elongated stone:
il_1588xN.3429707788_m6jc.png
il_1588xN.3429706672_d8zu.png

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock

I have coveted an emerald set east-west in a Sholdt semi-bezel since seeing @woofmama's set, but I can never bring myself to spend the money on earth mined diamonds when I looked at what I could just get in terms of my color gem wishlisit instead. Pretty pleased about lab growns becoming less expensive so I can fulfill some diamond wants without feeling like I'm taking away from my other-gem wishlist!

@woofmama's set:

LOVE these! Can't wait to see yours.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

@woofmama's set:

Yes yes yes, I love these! I can see why this elongated form was perfect for you. I am excited!

I really love the one on the bottom.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The webpage said estimated delivery Feb 11, but who knows how real that actually is. Since I've seen a number of people on here have the "ooops, that diamond is unavailable" issue with Ritani, I was fully prepared for that to happen and to have to go to my next choice but I got the email that the diamond is secured and I'll get another email when it ships to Ritani.

There are so many CVD diamonds that look blurry or grainy to me, even at higher price points and from supposedly discerning sellers. I ideally would have gotten an HPHT diamond but they're harder to find, I got tired of clicking through to lab reports, and the ones I did find were often more included than the CVD ones in the same price range. I was originally doing this shopping in September and October but was really indecisive then got distracted by other things, and the availability was different then and I could find more HPHT diamonds. Should have gone ahead and picked one then!

Inventory changes so often, and I wouldn't be surprised to see more inventory towards the end of February, after the Valentine's Day rush is over. If you don't love this one in person, I'd keep looking later in the month.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Inventory changes so often, and I wouldn't be surprised to see more inventory towards the end of February, after the Valentine's Day rush is over. If you don't love this one in person, I'd keep looking later in the month.

Yeah - I figured if I don't like this one, I'll have to wait until prices on them drop again before I replace it. This is not for anything except for fun, so there's absolutely no time crunch.

Got the email that the diamond has (finally!) shipped to Ritani, so now I am eagerly awaiting it arriving to them and getting shipped to ME!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I look forward to seeing what you think of the diamond and the final ring design too. I am sure it will be gorgeous!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's going back - I thought it looked sparkly through the middle in the video but in real life it was NOT sparkly in those center facets. I knew pretty much immediately upon opening the box that it wasn't for me.

I also keep psyching myself out by seeing all these high color lab gems and thinking I've got to get a DEF, and then when I look at them, I'm just not moved. So searching GHI next time. I know this about myself but when I don't look in person I get confused and think I should want high colors, even though they just look like CZ to me.

So that was a miss, but at least I confirmed I liked the size and could go down to 9mm in length - while a 9x5 is more the proportions I'd like, I'd probably be fine with a 9x6 too, which would certainly make the search easier. I had measured it out on a piece of paper but the paper looks way smaller on my hand than the actual diamond does.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Well, bummer, Distracts. Better luck on round two.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The other thing I potentially want is - and look, I know I'm just making things hard for myself - a crushed ice oval. I don't like the kind of oval that comes with a bow-tie, and so far I've been pretty meh about the specialty cut ovals like from Distinctive Gems, but I looooove crushed ice ones. I haven't seen a lab cut one that is white though!

So if anyone has any recs for good emerald cuts or crushed-ice ovals, feel free to toss them here. Ideally under $2k, though there's room in the budget to go higher for the right thing.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results