shape
carat
color
clarity

Eyeclean

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

twinkly

Rough_Rock
Hi,
I''ve been reading the forum here and see that eyeclean means you cannot see inclusion when the diamond faces up. Does that mean that it is possible to see the inclusions from the pavillion (the side)? If so, how high of a clarity do I need in order for inclusions to be invisible to the naked eye from the side?
Last question, what kind of inclusions are the worst? little black dots or white feathers?

Thanks.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Inclusions are much easier to see from the pavilion. Usually in table-down position you can spot SI 1/2 inclusions quite easily (not always, though) and sometimes even VS 2s... It really depends on the stone and on your eyes
2.gif
1.gif

twinkly

Rough_Rock
Thanks Giangi.
2.gif

So would anyone say they prefer little black spots rather than bigger white feathers since anything above a SI1 is eyeclean? Would bigger white feathers affect the brilliance of the diamond more than little black spots?

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
When I think of eyeclean, though, I normally think of something a person with average eyesight couldn't see with the naked eye--from any angle.

And not everything above SI1 is eyeclean. In bigger diamonds you can get a higher grade and still have an inclusion be more obvious.

With white feathers there's more a chance of an inclusion being something that is an inherent structural problem with a stone (though not normally something to worry about), but personally I'd still favor it over black carbon spots. I find carbon spots too ugly for words.
2.gif

barry

Shiny_Rock
The eye-visibility of inclusions depends not only on their
size, color, and location but also on the diamond's Cut.
The better the diamond's Cut, the less likely you will
see any type of inclusion in the face-up position,
viewing the stone from a distance of 8-12 inches.
Side view is IMO only an issue if you're going with a tension setting
or similar open-side configuration. Even in such a case,
the liklihood of someone picking up the inclusion
in a well-cut stone from this or greater distance, is remote.

Barry
www.superbcert.com

twinkly

Rough_Rock
Oh, so it's viewing from 8 - 12 inches? oops, I was probably looking at it from 3-4 inches in room light without the bright shiny store lights making the inclusions easier to see.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results