shape
carat
color
clarity

"Eyeclean" SI2''s...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JeBri31508

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I''m toying with the idea of going with an SI2, in a H color ACA or BG Signature diamond, because I want to get as close to 1.25 carats as I can in my budget. However, I''m kind of scared about the SI2 gradings...do WF and BG help you in determining which SI2''s are eyeclean? Basically, if I can''t see black inclusions I''m pretty sure that I''m fine lol. My current ring is IGI graded (I know, it was before we found PS :)), and it is SI1-SI2, and I honestly cannot see a thing on it. I''m wondering though, would an "eyeclean" SI1 be any better than an "eyeclean" SI2? Or is eyeclean, just eyeclean? So, if anybody cares to share their thoughts on SI2''s I''d really appreciate it. TIA

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Any vendor who personally evaluates the diamonds which they sell, like WF and BGD, is capable of helping you determine the extent to which the inclusions within a diamond are visible and whether the diamonds you are considering are "eye clean" or not... Keep in mind that everybody has different vision and thus will have a different perspective of what "eye clean" is based on their personal vision.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/23/2010 1:55:24 PM
Author:JeBri31508
I'm toying with the idea of going with an SI2, in a H color ACA or BG Signature diamond, because I want to get as close to 1.25 carats as I can in my budget. However, I'm kind of scared about the SI2 gradings...do WF and BG help you in determining which SI2's are eyeclean? Basically, if I can't see black inclusions I'm pretty sure that I'm fine lol. My current ring is IGI graded (I know, it was before we found PS :)), and it is SI1-SI2, and I honestly cannot see a thing on it. I'm wondering though, would an 'eyeclean' SI1 be any better than an 'eyeclean' SI2? Or is eyeclean, just eyeclean? So, if anybody cares to share their thoughts on SI2's I'd really appreciate it. TIA
Yes absolutely they will help you, the key thing is to let them know what your expectations are. For example, if you don't want to see any visible inclusions from any angle or distance, make sure you tell your vendor that so you are both on the same page. I will link you to a couple of useful articles on this subject -

What is an eyeclean Diamond? by Pricescope's Coatimundi

[/url] by expert John Pollard.

Bear in mind SI clarity grades are not created equal, some will be eyeclean and some might not be but various factors can affect this, as discussed in the articles.

kristie

Shiny_Rock
I am currently a little bitter about my situation with my SI2......but I will tell you that I have looked at a LOT of SI2''s in the last couple of years.

All were promised 100% eyeclean from the vendor and none were in my opinion. I am 30 years old and have 20/15 vision thanks to LASIK so is is probably harder for me to find an eyeclean stone than others, lol.

Not to say an eyeclean SI2 does not exist....I just have never seen one.

I should also mention that that all the ones I saw were 2-2.75 cts. and I know that the larger you go.....the likelyhood of eye cleanliness drops big time.

In your size range, you may be able to find one. Just make sure you go to someone that has the diamonds on hand to inspect such as WF or BG
2.gif

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/23/2010 2:21:14 PM
Author: kristie
I am currently a little bitter about my situation with my SI2......but I will tell you that I have looked at a LOT of SI2''s in the last couple of years.

All were promised 100% eyeclean from the vendor and none were in my opinion. I am 30 years old and have 20/15 vision thanks to LASIK so is is probably harder for me to find an eyeclean stone than others, lol.

Not to say an eyeclean SI2 does not exist....I just have never seen one.

I should also mention that that all the ones I saw were 2-2.75 cts. and I know that the larger you go.....the likelyhood of eye cleanliness drops big time.

In your size range, you may be able to find one. Just make sure you go to someone that has the diamonds on hand to inspect such as WF or BG
2.gif

I''m with you Eagle Eyes
2.gif

It''s practically impossible for me to find what I consider to be an "eye clean SI-2" and very few SI-1''s make it either... but I have a lot of clients who I sit down with who can''t find the inclusions within SI-2 and even some I-1 clarity diamonds even after I point out where the inclusions are and show them what to look for under a microscope (actually on the computer monitor which the microscope is hooked up to) and it blows my mind...

JeBri31508

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Great, thanks for the comments everyone! I''ll be reading up on what is eyeclean, and try to figure out what it means for me! However, throughout the afternoon I started to think that .10 of a point is not that big of a deal, and that if I can get a good SI1 that is just a smidge smaller, I''ll be okay with that :) thanks again

HVVS

Brilliant_Rock
eye clean SI2
That is the diamond that I owned and traded back to GOG. It was definitely eye clean. I had to look very, very hard to find the feathers.

Now this one that I traded for dark crystal is NOT what I'd call eye clean. At 18" maybe, but not at 12" or less if you know what to look for. The inclusion is in the table area and it's a garnet or brown colored crystal. The ideal scope pic with those two black reflections in the arrows is exactly what I see in person. But that back-lit GOG photo is a little misleading b/c the inclusion is a dark speck in real life. At just the right tilt, particularly in typical office lighting, it's easy for me to pick out the inclusion. But nobody else seems to really notice it until I point it out. Somewhere on here there is a post that says the key thing is "at a glance" regarding SI1 and SI2. I'd tend to think of mine as more of an I1, but AGS graded it SI2, probably because the inclusion blends with the table facets probably 85%-90% of the time. And I also can see the dark crystal from the side of the diamond. So be sure to ask questions. I picked this stone because the cut and color are fantastic, the price was affordable, and the inclusion is so minor that it doesn't bother me.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

I own a G SI2, and although my diamond is technically eye clean (at 8-10 inches in normal viewing) when I look for the inclusions they are *very* easy to find. I prefer that I cannot see any inclusions in my diamonds, even at close inspection with the unaided eye, so an SI2 was hard for me to swallow at first. But it would cost me an extra $2k to go up to an SI1 at this color and clarity, and I didn''t want to spend that money at this point in time.

All that said, I have had my rock for a couple months and the inclusions bother me less now than at first. I don''t go looking for them very often. Still, if the opportunity arose for me to trade for a better SI2 -- no table inclusions, no black inclusions -- I will trade in a heartbeat.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
I actually wear a diamond in the same range you''re considering; it''s a 1.24 H, SI2, and it is completely eyeclean.

I''m not terribly clarity sensitive, but two of my friends (fellow PSers) are *ridiculously* eagled-eyed, and neither of them can see the inclusions unaided, either.

Yes, eyeclean SI2s do exist and they can offer excellent value for the money. You''ll find most of us vendors will shoot pretty straight with you about eyecleanliness because we know it''s coming back if you aren''t happy.
9.gif

Best thing you can do is to make sure you understand the vendor''s definition of eyeclean and make sure they understand what it means to you. With clear communication, you should be able to up your chances of finding one successfully. Best of luck in your search!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results