shape
carat
color
clarity

Eye clean

ElizabethR

Shiny_Rock
Does eye clean really mean eye clean? I looked at a vs2 diamond on video online and saw tiny black specks in a few places. When I asked I was assured the stone was eye clean.

Q

Queenie60

Most videos and photos are enlarged and you can see things that you would not see had the photo of the diamond be true to size. Although sometimes VS2 stones can have inclusions that you can see with the naked eye. Just need to confirm with the seller.

ElizabethR

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Queenie. :)

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock
A 1 carat stone is 6.5mm. That same diamond you see on screen depending where you see it is between 3 inches (76mm) and 10 inches (254mm). Having said that human eye is more sharp and dynamic than a camera. But once you bring all of that into perspective you'll realize all that stuff you see on a VS2 is going to be invisible.

Eye clean - according to me - no inclusion or blemishes visible (a) FACE UP under (b) NORMAL lighting conditions when viewed at (c) NORMAL (7-10 inches away) viewing distance.

Others may have different definitions and different level of eye cleanliness requirements.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

ElizabethR

Shiny_Rock
Thank you G, I always thought eye clean meant you couldn't see any inclusions/faults with the naked eye up as close to the eye as possible.

gr8leo87

Shiny_Rock
ElizabethR said:
Thank you G, I always thought eye clean meant you couldn't see any inclusions/faults with the naked eye up as close to the eye as possible.
Different people of have different level of eye clean requirements. Usually what I told you above is the standard across industry.

If you take stone to 3-4 inches you may be able to make out inclusions. If you expose a stone to heavy spot lights you might make out inclusions which are otherwise not visible.

Communication is the key here. It's important you understand what the vendor means by eye clean. And it's important that you communicate to vendor what you mean by eye clean.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

fair75

Rough_Rock
Different vendors have different definitions of eye clean. For me, eye clean means not seeing any inclusion even when a diamond is held as close to my eyes as possible. Typically, VS clarity stones will be eye clean to me. However, I have some SI1 stones that are eye clean even when I try to find inclusions using my own definition. The key is to have access to high-quality photos and/or videos and judge the diamonds for yourself. This is usually less of a problem with diamonds that are graded at least VS1.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results