shape
carat
color
clarity

Eye-clean I1 RB stone with a feather-should I be concerned?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ABPlate

Rough_Rock
Ok, I've been lurking here long enough, it's time to post! On a recent vacation, my husband and I purchased a couple of loose diamonds-I've wanted to upgrade my E-ring to a three-stone number in platinum for a while, and we figured buying the stones duty-free at a discount was the way to go, as long as we stuck to a reputable shop (Diamonds International, headquartered in NY). The stone we purchased for the center is a .90 ideal cut RB, eye clean I1, near colorless (I don't have the EGL appraisal on me right now, but I know it was in the G-H range-plus we held it to a couple of 1 carat stones and it looked the same size, so yay on that). In the store we noticed there was a feather near the side of the pavilion, barely visible without a loop, but we couldn't see it at all from the top of the stone, so we went for it. Fast forward to when we get home-we held it under a loop at our house (near an open window) and it appears there is a small feather/crack on the side of the pavilion. I don't know if I should be extremely concerned about this-it's at a place where, once the diamond is properly set, there is zero chance of an impact, but could it cause problems down the road? We're still within the money-back guarantee timeline for a couple more weeks, I just don't want to wait around too long and end up with a stone that will crack down the line. Thoughts?

RBsearch

Rough_Rock
Sounds like it is time to visit an independent appraiser. I think you're describing a feather that reaches the girdle (that is, it is exposed to the surface), which can increase the risk of chipping. An appraiser can tell you for sure. The risk may be quite minimal, and if you have it insured properly then it won't really matter anyhow.

Daisi2112

Shiny_Rock
Ditto RBSearch. However, I personally wouldn''t get an I1, especially if you find out there is a high risk of chipping.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/22/2009 5:06:32 PM
Author:ABPlate
Ok, I''ve been lurking here long enough, it''s time to post! On a recent vacation, my husband and I purchased a couple of loose diamonds-I''ve wanted to upgrade my E-ring to a three-stone number in platinum for a while, and we figured buying the stones duty-free at a discount was the way to go, as long as we stuck to a reputable shop (Diamonds International, headquartered in NY). The stone we purchased for the center is a .90 ideal cut RB, eye clean I1, near colorless (I don''t have the EGL appraisal on me right now, but I know it was in the G-H range-plus we held it to a couple of 1 carat stones and it looked the same size, so yay on that). In the store we noticed there was a feather near the side of the pavilion, barely visible without a loop, but we couldn''t see it at all from the top of the stone, so we went for it. Fast forward to when we get home-we held it under a loop at our house (near an open window) and it appears there is a small feather/crack on the side of the pavilion. I don''t know if I should be extremely concerned about this-it''s at a place where, once the diamond is properly set, there is zero chance of an impact, but could it cause problems down the road? We''re still within the money-back guarantee timeline for a couple more weeks, I just don''t want to wait around too long and end up with a stone that will crack down the line. Thoughts?
I also recommend an independant appraiser. Chances are there won''t be a problem but it is best to check. Here is a tool you can use to find an appraiser in your area.

https://www.pricescope.com/appr_list.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results