shape
carat
color
clarity

"extremely thin to thick" girdle

divya

Rough_Rock
We are buying a princess cut diamond thats a little over 2 carats. its a "very good" cut grade by GIA, but its girdle is "extremely thin to thick". is this a concern? is it at risk of chipping?

Johnv000

Rough_Rock
Are u going with a 4 or 6 prong

divya

Rough_Rock
four

Johnv000

Rough_Rock
Might want to try a six. It's def a good look and you really won't have to worry

Johnv000

Rough_Rock
I just picked that up wasn't sure about 6 prong but looks great and more stability

divya

Rough_Rock
beautiful ring! can you get a six prong in a square cut?

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
I've never see 6 prongs on a princess, but I have seen 8.

divya

Rough_Rock
do you think i would need 8? do you think this girdle will be a problem?

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
I think extremely thin could be at risk unless you bezel it completely.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
divya|1391244511|3605649 said:
We are buying a princess cut diamond thats a little over 2 carats. its a "very good" cut grade by GIA, but its girdle is "extremely thin to thick". is this a concern? is it at risk of chipping?
First comment: GIA does not issue a cut grade for the princess. It may have VG polish and/or symmetry, but those details have nothing to do with how it performs in terms of brightness, dispersion and scintillation. That's a rather important piece of information to keep in mind.

Second comment: "Extra thin" needs context. If it refers to one tiny spot along the long side of the girdle it may be a non-issue. But if it runs XTN along a stretch near a vulnerable corner that's a different matter. "Thick" also needs context. If the majority of the girdle is thick that could make the diamond appear smaller than it should for its carat weight.

Finally, returning to the first comment,if the diamond lacks the proper angles to return light edge-to-edge it will look even smaller in soft lighting conditions.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would avoid this stone and start over. You need to be careful to be sure you are getting a well cut stone, and a girdle variation from extremely thin to thick isn't a good indicator of a great cut stone. Do you have magnified images of the diamond?

I think the advice about 6 prongs didn't read that your stone is princess cut. I'd want V tip prongs to protect princess corners because they are fragile.

What is your budget for the stone?

divya

Rough_Rock
our budget is about 12,500. if we get v tipped prongs, will that secure it? should i get magnified photos of it?

spicyitalian

Rough_Rock
Yes. You should get photographs.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
GIA does not grade cut for princesses. So... there is no way you could have a princess with a very good cut grade by GIA.

Regarding the girdle: what you need is a gemologist to look at the stone. Tell you what percentage of the girdle is very thin, and where on the stone it is, and give you their opinion of the risk.

But I agree with Diamondseeker. Unless you are planning a full bezel, I'd pass personally. Not worth the risk.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results