shape
carat
color
clarity

extremely thin girdle

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pugliems

Rough_Rock
I''ve found a diamond that I believe is perfect for me in everyway but one... the girdle is extremely thin to very thick. Its a 1.70 princess that i would like to put in platinum V-tip prongs. Talking to the diamond seller, he tells me that he has never seen a diamond of this size chip due to a thin girdle. He says smaller (about 1ct or less) diamonds are more prone to chip secondary to a thin girdle. If it does chip, he says I can have it re-cut and only lose a few points. I plan on insuring this ring. I really like it and feel like I''m getting a decent price. Should I let the thin girdle scare me away?

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
An extremely thin girdle is not uncommon on a fancy shape diamond. The answer depends on where the girdle is extremely thin, if it is in the tips it probably isn't an issue at any other time than when the diamond is set / unset. The tips should be covered by the prongs or they are likely to break no matter what the girdle thickness is...

pugliems

Rough_Rock
Robin and Todd,

Thanks for the advice. Where the location of the thinness is important. Any advice on how to look find out where its thin? Besides my untrained eye, of course. Anyone else with more input on "extremely thin princess."

Thanks,
MattP

trichrome

Shiny_Rock
If your eyes are not enough, I would suggest to bring the stone
to an independant appraiser. Have a look at it under the microscope.
He or she will be able to determine where it's very thin, if it is in
a strategic place or not and how much of all girdle length is
very thin. After that, you'll be able to make a more informed decision
on your purchase.

Hope this helps,

Trichrome.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results