shape
carat
color
clarity

Extra wide wedding rings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Hello everyone!
35.gif

I''m new, and venturing into deep waters (the jewellery discussions) for the first time.
I was interested in what you all thought about this style of wedding ring / right hand ring.
I like it, and was considering wearing it alone (18k version) on my wedding finger.
My current wedder is so dainty, I guess I felt like a change!
20.gif

here''s the link (maybe the guy will get lots of work?!!)
It''s 17mm wide!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=300191405606&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=020

For some reason, I got the error message when trying to upload, and it won''t let me try again.
Sorry girls! (and guys)

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Honestly, I think it would be incredibly painful to wear. Have you whipped out a ruler to see how big 17mm really is? On me, it goes past the first wrinkle of my knuckle. What about a rolling ring? They''re wider and unique and can be either a right hand ring or wedding ring.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
And then a plank in reason broke, and I dropped down and down, and hit a world at every plunge, and finished knowing then. Emily Dickinson

Well done with your sig line!!
36.gif

I don't know but 17 mm is huge. The ruler thing is a good idea.

LittleRock

Shiny_Rock
I have a wide wedding band that I like to wear off and on. I checked out your pick and that really does look quite wide. Have you looked around at some other bands to compare?
1.gif

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, that ring is really wide! I know that would not fit on my finger without restricting knuckle bending!

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Hmm, I see what you mean about it being really wide. I''ve got reasonably long fingers, and I think it would just fit. Yeah, maybe he needs to shave a mm or two off, to make sure. Also, would it be really hot to wear? I guess it''d be a ''winter'' item?!
26.gif

I think it looks quite cool, though.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Hey ImDanny! Isn''t she beyond awesome. And, just to prove it, as the great lady said herself:
"When I feel as though the top of my head had been taken off, I know THAT is poetry..."

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
i really like the look of a plain wide gold band without any gem stones.10-12MM is the widest i would go.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/29/2008 2:10:06 AM
Author: LaraOnline
Hey ImDanny! Isn''t she beyond awesome. And, just to prove it, as the great lady said herself:

''When I feel as though the top of my head had been taken off, I know THAT is poetry...''

Oh yes! Wonderful! I''ve read her poems three times.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
"My life had stood a loaded gun
in corners - till a day
the Owner passed - identified - and carried me away..."
HA!
or what about...
"The life that tied too tight escape
Will ever after run
With a prudential look behind
And spectres of the rein..."

Does it say something about society that she ended up eccentric and isolated... and definitely unmarried
33.gif

On the bright side, her broken heart did provide us with LOTS of incredible, incredible poetry!!
I love her

boonerings

Shiny_Rock
I''ve had a customer that has bought no fewer than 15 rings, all 15 to 17mm wide! Some people love them. Most people get them and realize that it''s much too wide though, so I usually end up cutting the ring down to 10 or 12mm.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/30/2008 9:26:46 AM
'My life had stood a loaded gun

in corners - till a day

the Owner passed - identified - and carried me away...'

HA!

or what about...

'The life that tied too tight escape

Will ever after run

With a prudential look behind

And spectres of the rein...'

Does it say something about society that she ended up eccentric and isolated... and definitely unmarried
33.gif

On the bright side, her broken heart did provide us with LOTS of incredible, incredible poetry!!

I love her

I think that was more about her genius than anything society could have done. We can be consoled that she had a very nice home to live in and people to help take care of her.

I love her too. I've never met another fan of hers. What a thrill!
34.gif

Good luck with the ring, LaraOnline.
35.gif

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Thank you JewelerMan, Bruce and Baby Monster, I really appreciate your comments.
To go from 1cm to 17mm is quite a jump, isn''t it!
It''s very dramatic, being so wide.
But I guess at the end of the day, it might turn out to be more of a ''dress ring''...?
I''ll check out the other thread, too.

Little Rock, if you read this post, how do you feel about your wide ring?

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
to answer your question, Little Rock, I haven''t actually seen any really wide bands IRL! I live in a country area, so the stock available to look at here is quite limited!
I get your point, this might an example where trying a ring on is important.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
hi! i did not post on the old thread so i will here. i have a 12mm wide band that i wear when i am not wearing my engagement ring and eternity bands. it is very comfortable and i don''t remove it working, showering or sleeping and it is fine. i like the look of wide bands and have long fingers. i measured my finger and i would love a 15mm heavy platinum band but the 17mm may be a little restrictive feeling for me. your post prompted me to price check for a 15mm in platinum and the price was 3200. i will wait for platinum to come down. hth.

jeanette

Rough_Rock
If you do a search for wide bands here you will see I have posted many pictures of my hands wearing wide bands.
I wear a 16mm platinum wide band on my left hand and a 12mm white gold band with an emerald ring on my right.
Also on my left hand I do wear six rings all 3mm wide on my middle finger.
I have worn wide bands since I was 16 years old. I did not marry until I was 37 but never changed the style of my rings.
If you like them, wear them it’s for you.
Jeanette

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Lara,
I hope you find the perfect wide band...I have three 10mm-12mm bands that I wear often.A 12mm sterling band with hammered surface,A heavy 10mm tube shape sterling band by designer Robert Lee Morris,and my favorite is a 10mm 18 karat yellow gold band that i was lucky enough to find at a retail jewelry store i worked at a few years ago.The band was on clearance for $58.00!keep looking...they are out there ...the internet and pawn shops are a good sourse for bands.

LittleRock

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/1/2008 6:42:49 AM
Thank you JewelerMan, Bruce and Baby Monster, I really appreciate your comments.

To go from 1cm to 17mm is quite a jump, isn''t it!

It''s very dramatic, being so wide.

But I guess at the end of the day, it might turn out to be more of a ''dress ring''...?

I''ll check out the other thread, too.

Little Rock, if you read this post, how do you feel about your wide ring?

I love my wide band! My band is almost 1/2". Have you looked at different styles online, or are you set at the simple gold band?

LittleRock

Shiny_Rock
You know what? Now that I think about it I''m not sure if others would think of my band as wide, but it is "wider than the "norm" AND it is not a plain gold band, just a wide band with diamonds and sapphires. I''m sorry If none of that was any help for you.......
20.gif
Also, if My solitare was on a plain band I''d totally wear the two together! I like that look and have long fingers.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Hello crown1, thank you for your post, your reponse has given me courage! I love love love the dramatic look of the width, which goes way beyond what is expected of a regular piece of jewellery.

It seems 10mm (1cm) is the most popular width, possibly for comfort reasons...
But thanks to you, crown, and you, jeanette, my confidence in the super-wide is creeping up again!

Little Rock, I can totally see a flush-fitting solitaire with a wide ring...now that you mention it! But not with 17mm!!
28.gif
Like the poor fine-diner in Monty Python, I just couldn't fit another thing in!!

Perhaps I should go half-half and order it in the poor 9k?
Why, oh why do Australian jewellers skimp out and provide 9k as their default karat weight for dress jewellery? It's so depressing!!!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I tried stacking my 2 wide band rings (18mm total width) together to see it feels to wear an extra wide ring and it feels very heavy but it can be done. (looking for any excuse not to write my thesis
11.gif
) You may need some time to get used to the feeling.

wide stack ring.JPG

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
both rings are very nice looking...i really like the look of pave on a wide band!Thanks for sharing!

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Oooh, thanks for sharing, Baby Monster! Those rings look fantastic on your long and elegant fingers!
Although, your gorgeous rings have made me think: perhaps 9-10mm is as far as I need go? Each of those rings look absolutely delightful - and dramatic!!
Now I''m really in a dilemma!
19.gif

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the compliments everybody
1.gif
Much appreciated
35.gif

Lara, 10mm would probably be best for comfort. My finger was sore after wearing both rings for an hour and it was hard to type!

chol

Rough_Rock
I wear three plain wedding bands, stacked. The main band is 12mm, sandwiched in between 2 4mm bands, for a total width of 20mm. I wear these every day and do not find them uncomfortable. BUT, there are some important considerations: 1) the bands are relatively heavy, COMFORT FIT and that prevents the bands from cutting into my fingers; 2) 3 rings worn stacked allows for some movement and are probably more comfortable that a single ring of the same width; 3) my fingers are long and narrow; 4) the wider band is slightly oversized for me, and I suspect that a tighter band would be uncomfortable. But with all this in mind, it''s a great look, and there are ways to engineer a comfortable way to achieve it!

One of my worries about the 17mm band would be that the band looks thin, and the edges might be sharp.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/5/2008 9:07:31 AM
Author: chol

One of my worries about the 17mm band would be that the band looks thin, and the edges might be sharp.

...and there I was thinking that the thinner band would be more comfortable...
20.gif

chol

Rough_Rock
Yeah....if you want to go for the wide bands, the two things to avoid are

TOO tight

and

TOO sharp (as in the edges)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results